The Corroboree
Atlas

Salvia D, Desmanthus I, Growing Problems

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen before.

1. Salvia, tried numerous times to no avail, the plants grow up nice and healthy and then the stems start to turn brown and die off from the top and continue down until its entirely dead, evey single plant has done this, I have tried pruning at nodes as it moves down, this sometimes slows it but never stops. The growing conditions, soil mediums, watering regime and nutrients have all been varied, yet the same thing happens every time. Has anyone encountered this before.

2. Desmanthus Ill. Had almost 100% germination, plants grew to about 3 inches and 70% started to die off, starting by dropping leaves and then gradually browning back. the remainder grew quite good until about 7inches and the exact same thing happened, growing conditions had not been changed, does anyone know anything about this.

Yep.

Salvia needs high humidity, dry atmosphere = dead

Desm Ill ---> mites = all dead . They might do better in the ground and late in the season sowing

Edited by mutant

Salvia needs warmth, high humidity and very filtered light or shade is best..soil seems to be quite rich in organic matter and they thrive with some manure in the soil, not so good with sandy cactus type soil apparently, loves nutrients and copius amounts of watering, in fact you can't really over water a sage like sally IMO.

Desmanthus performs to the point of being an invasive weed...this stuff is and can get way out of control in no time...it is very easy to grow and will survive hot summers and cold winters no problems, in ground or pot plants...in fact I find this plant hard to kill actually...try no fertilizer as I have never fertilized mine but hey they are in the ground and waaaaaay out of control...your soil pH may be off also with em..slightly acidic seems to be favorable for these plants/weeds.

Desmanthus performs to the point of being an invasive weed...this stuff is and can get way out of control in no time...it is very easy to grow and will survive hot summers and cold winters no problems, in ground or pot plants...in fact I find this plant hard to kill actually...try no fertilizer as I have never fertilized mine but hey they are in the ground and waaaaaay out of control...your soil pH may be off also with em..slightly acidic seems to be favorable for these plants/weeds.

problem for me is that I couldn't grow the seedling to that size, a problem I had with other weeds like peganum. I have partly concluded that such plants are better sown where they're going to stay, having lots of seed and randomly sprinkle them in the ground. they do seem to need big root space too, same with datura

this is no problem with cheap or easy to get seeds like peganum or datura. Unfortunately I am short of desmanthus seed.

My first Salvia plant grew to about 1.2ft then all of a sudden seemed like it got root rot, dropped leaves, started browning and turned into 2 brown sticks. The the was it was in very well drained potting mix and i never flooded it, Maybe it just doesnt like me.

The desmanthus though, thats just weird it doesnt seem to have any mites, good potting mix but they just seem to drop leaves and then brown off like the sal, don't have a problem with anything else, even managed to prop 2 tabernanthe iboga's from seed this time.

My salvia died as well, it had all the same symptoms as Atlas'. Mine wasn't overwatered either I think it had some fungal disease when I got it.

I've read a bit about them lately and they are supposed to be hard to kill.

Whenever I get a new plant I dunk it in a bordeaux mix and quarantine it for a few weeks.Some nurseries have poor hygeine and keep sick plants in close contact with healthy ones.

If a plant is obviously sick I plant it in my worm farm (Bathtub) for a few weeks and that usually gets them back on track.

I got it from a nursery in grafton just as law was changed and now they don't have them anymore which really sucks.

Who runs this country anyway Fred Nile ?

Sally come back to Pappa !

Edited by Magicdirt

Atlas i was just wondering if your using Tap water ?

if so it may be a build up of salts.

Edited by mac