The Corroboree
vual

never Seen before...

Question

Hey guys,

I was working in brisbane the other day in The gardens and came Across a very strange mushroom i have never seen before, I couldnt take a photo but would still like to discribe it And see if anyone knows what it is.

The mushroom was growing out of Wood, it was standard size, it had a undeveloped head (kinda looked like a penis 0_o) and was compleatly red everywere. I picked it to bring home i Was so Amazed, and blue Blood spewed out, from every cut instantly, a very blue Liquid... Any ideas...I first thought maybe some type of fly agar... But the blue blood/sap made me very interested.

The blue blood was so intense.

thanks in advance,

Vual

7 answers to this question

Hey guys,

I was working in brisbane the other day in The gardens and came Across a very strange mushroom i have never seen before, I couldnt take a photo but would still like to discribe it And see if anyone knows what it is.

The mushroom was growing out of Wood, it was standard size, it had a undeveloped head (kinda looked like a penis 0_o) and was compleatly red everywere. I picked it to bring home i Was so Amazed, and blue Blood spewed out, from every cut instantly, a very blue Liquid... Any ideas...I first thought maybe some type of fly agar... But the blue blood/sap made me very interested.

The blue blood was so intense.

thanks in advance,

Vual

Spore print

sounds like it could be a boletus sp?

i've found them in SEQ before, can stain blue very quickly, haven't witnessed 'bleeding' as such but maybe some species or in some conditions?

DID IT HAVE GILLS OR JUST PORES? sorry caps lock

Thanks For The speedy response, The cap was closed but i broke it open and there were gills, it didnt seem spongy like other Boletus. ( But due to the cap being closed was really hard to tell...)

Unfortuantly there is no spore print, could the extreamly fast blue busing indicate psilocybin is present, cant find much info on Boletus SP.

Was the fastest busing i have ever seen practically bleeding..

Edited by vual

Thanks For The speedy response, The cap was closed but i broke it open and there were gills, it didnt seem spongy like other Boletus. ( But due to the cap being closed was really hard to tell...)

Unfortuantly there is no spore print, could the extreamly fast blue busing indicate psilocybin is present, cant find much info on Boletus SP.

Was the fastest busing i have ever seen practically bleeding..

Sounds just like Boletus!

The presence of gills means it cannot be a boletus species.

The 'extremely fast' staining reaction is not typical of psilocybin containing species which in my experience seem to take a few minutes to turn blue.

Perhaps a Lactarius or Mycena species? Mycena haematopus? what colour were the gills? what size was it?

Don't be too disappointed that its not a psilocybin containing species, could be quite a rare find in these parts...! The folks at the Mt Cootha herbarium could help you out.

Lactarius indigo will actually bleed as far as I'm aware.