The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Whats the deal with the blue lotus?

I've been hearing about the blue lotus a bit lately, it's like it's calling me...

The new happy herbs shop in adelaide has dried lotus flowers (as i recall). I was curious about the effect of the blue lotus.

Is it just like a mild stoning or an opiate high? (never had any opiates tho). I read a report on erowid that it synergizes real well with alcohol and it's like a very dreamy experience.

You can make an alcohol extraction right? would letting a few flowers sit in half a bottle of vodka or so overnight and then taking shots of that work?

Would that be a good party type drink to share around... I really have no clue ey :)

Also any idea on doasge?

It sounds interesting and the flowers look so puurrty so i wanna give it a go.

I find it to be a very relaxing, warm, stoney buzz. It is appropriate for a party but you may end up sitting on a couch all night if you're not careful. It can have a laziness increasing kind of effect for some people! The method you described using vodka sounds good, but I like to make it as strong as possible so I don't have to drink to much vodka. I use maybe 100 mLs of vodka and around 4 flowers worth of lilly. The lilly material can then be dried and reused.

I've only started using it lately, but I find it to be very pleasant, and intend to make it my lazy afternoon drug of choice for the summer.

creach:

It is appropriate for a party but you may end up sitting on a couch all night if you're not careful. It can have a laziness increasing kind of effect for some people!

Yep for sure! I was at a friends party once, and she had drunk a few cans of premix drinks or something along those lines. I gave her a few tokes on a straight nymph. caerulea joint and I found her later inside talking with people, feeling extremely lazy/relaxed and commented on how she felt like she was melting through the wall. An extremely enjoyable experience for her, though she seemed to be very sensitive to it. She has quite a light body weight, and combined with the alcohol must have pushed it that little bit further.

I've noticed with myself, that if you smoke alot of lily, the next morning the head feels a little clouded. I'm also sometimes sensitive to different types of smoke, and find lily to give me a headache if I take too much.

I've had much more profound effects from a pink lily smoke I shared with a member here, from memory this is one of his favourite lillies. I've only tried that species once though, but it was much more profound for me than nymph. caerulea.

[ 04. November 2004, 19:23: Message edited by: gerbil ]

Ok...

a few things that have come to the surface

1) much of the data online and in litereature is incorrect rearding its constituents. ignore all mention of the actives being nuciferine or aporphine this is based on incorrect reading of some old data.

The reality is we have no idea what the active fraction is excpet that its soluble in water and alcohol

2) Users report the effects to be cumulative and synergistic with other sedatives and inebriants, as well as some other hallucinogens and stimulants.

Purely on its own lilly should be expected to be mild and may not be recognised for the effect it has. But once you know the feeling then you wont mistake it. I guess we may be all underdosing.

3) some users, incl myself, with prolonged mixed usage have reported wierd occurences in the perceptionof reality. The basis for this isnt understood but its interesting to explore

4) id say 5-10g a bottle of Vino is what you want

stronger the better tho the perfume and bitterness can overpower. i guess it depends what tyuou want tho - i like to feel my drugs so stronger is usually better tho if you have to keep a social feel go less. It certainly take booze further. a glass and a half of strong lilly red wine and you may not feel you need anymore.

fresh is best if u have it o/wise i believe ethefbetter teh product is dried teh better the quality, dried material should be treated as to retain its rich aroma and colour, mainly cos we dont know if these are indeed part of its activity

Ive had a vodka extract last year at EB4 using fresh lillies and the synergy with the other things about was exquisite. (25+ fresh flowers to a 700ml bottle vodka)

the taste was rough but the vodka certainly captures the aroma well

you can also eat fresh flower buds and expect a calming effect soon after.

Lilly used recreatioanlly pretty much induces 'the chill' mode , amotivational states of bliss and contentment.

Therell be plenty of fresh picked blue lilly on hand at EB4 courtesy of me to try out but its BYO goon or vodka to put it in!!

If the weather is right therell also be plenty of really fresh dried stuff o/wise you can reserve some.

Ive had some nice effects with a sceletium and lilly tea but ill have to try it again now ive got both on hand to see if the effects are consistent.

[ 04. November 2004, 21:50: Message edited by: reville ]

Interesting.

El D. there's an old post here called something like "secrets of lilly and lotus" which I recall contained a very interesting discussion about some of the more far out perceptual changes that some people have experienced.

hey dude, nice to see you post again...

i'm a fan of lotus. i find it to be a relaxing smoke that puts a light calming edge on my perspective when taken (smoked or infused in red wine) for a social occasion, but it is true that you may find yourself more inclined to stay seated.

i like it as a smoke mixer with other herbs. when a friend and i tried this we could definitely tell the lotus dimension was pronouncing itself.

Hey cheers for the info guys.

Hey natureboy, you goin to this next meet? I might see ya there!

For those who smoke, do you pick fresh lotus and then dry it to smoke it? Or do you buy dried lotus flowers (as i've seen in the new happy herbs as i recall)

Is the smoking high any different to the ingestion of lotus? or does it just kick in quicker?

Has lotus season started yet? I'm sure it must have but it's been still rather cold here in Adelaide.

And where's a good place for pickin :) (if u want to give away yer secret spots I remember at a meet tst showed us some sort of lilly at the botanic gardens.

Also one last question, would the combined effect of lotus and mushrooms be worthwhile, what i mean is would the mushroom experience just shroud or take over the lotus effects or would the lotus really change the mushroom experience?

I know im asking a lot of questions and of course the best way to know is to just try it, but i've limited access and to said items (unless lotus just grows everywhere) and want to know how best to utilise the flower.

Cheers!

can u use lotus with maoi's?

could u have a little alcohol lotus(vodka or red wine)?

cheers!

I think red wine is a no-no with maoi

i thought as much but wondered if say 1 glass would b alright better safe than sorry tho hey

how about a vodka xtract? or should u evaporate vodka off and add a little water maybe, or use residue?

cheers!

I dont think the problem is the alcohol, i think it is Tyramine

been busy on the kayak recently as the pinks are flowering on one of the dams, picked a bucket today. quick drying in the dark preserves more of the exquisite aroma. wouldn't mind extracting the essential oil of these and using it in something like soapmaking, etc. have liberated many insects from within the flowers folds, seems they are drawn by the fragrance then choose never to leave, simply dying in there - adds extra workload to the processing.