The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Ariocarpus puzzle

One of the A. fissuratus I grafted to Pereskiopsis formed a chimera between the peres and the ario, it was all cool and mutantey for a while, eventually the Ario cells won and killed the Peres cells and it formed a callous ball that randomly poked out tubercles.. it kept growing like some cactus tumor and as it went the tubercles it randomly sprouted developed into A. fissuratus heads. Its now still growing but eventually with pereskiopsis grafts the core can go necrotic once scion growth does stall so it'll have to be degrafted eventually. But since theres no top, no bottom, and no un-tubercley spot I'm not sure how to root it :unsure:

My best idea sofar is to cut off a bunch of tubercles to make a blank spot, smear it with auxin paste (no odd visuals, people :P ), degraft it, and a month later just set it on soil for it to root into.

Any better ideas out there?

post-146-126732691516_thumb.jpg

100_0357 - Copy.JPG

100_0357 - Copy.JPG

any chance of being able to cut it into defferent heads? It seems that there could be discernable heads? What about cutting into it, so the root end of the arios are wedge shaped? allow this to callous and then do your rooting?

I considered that but I'd be afraid of that making them too small and opening up too much for pathogens (a rust fungus is always lurking waiting for cactus injury). I also wanna try to optimize the chance of the underlying callous ball remaining dominant so it can just keep growing as a head covered blob :lol:

From what I've read and heard concerning degrafting and rooting a A. fissuratus is that they are a

bitch to root compared to A. retuses. So my concern would be 'would a degraft be successful'?

If a degraft is done, I'd be eager to hear of a follow up report on this...

whisperz,...

Yeah, I no longer graft these to pereskiopsis because of that. I did already degraft another fissuratus from pereskiopsis, it stalled and started to eat the bottom and I had to dig out the brown stuff and scab it over and just yesterday I applied 1000 ppm 2-naphthoxyacetic acid (an auxin) in lanolin to the bottom and stuck it in dry soil. I figure I'll water it in a month and dig it up in two months to check for roots.

i always find peresk grafts to be the easiest ones to degraft because they have such thin stocks. i literally pull them off with a twist, then use a knife to carve out the perek. sit it on top of some very porous mineral mix, and roots will come rather quickly :) i think your smart not cutting them into pieces, large surface area of cuts bring along more problems than good as you noted... good luck :)