The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dworx

White loph pups

Grafted a loph pup onto an Icaros peruvian and it has pupped two white pups. Sorry about Picture Quality, I lost the cable to my camera and am using my someone elses.. How common is it for a loph to pup white, with multiple pups being white?

DW

Nice work, hope it's the mythical (or not) white peyote? lol

Edited by Quilliam

very normal IMO, it's just undergone a massive influx of growth and the chlorophyll should establish soon enough. It also to me seems hungry, the scion looks like it's quite light in the first place, so the massive growth compared to what it naturally does grouped with the original lack of nutrient would be highly influencing factors. Personally I wouldn't freak and feed it, just be gentle, let it stabilise and feed off the stock and it's soil, then if it's not improving feeds can help.

I wasn't worried, I have seen varigation in my lophs before, What I was wondering was how common it was? And then with two whites and what looks like a third on the way? The parent graft was also attacked by something so it is half nibbled away which probably induced the pupping in the first place..

DW

very common IME, after it grows and settles more, if it's still white then i suppose we could assume albino pups / variegation. I haven't grafted for a while, vague memory says it can be also influenced through too much light.

Edited by gerbil

vague memory says it can be also influenced through too much light

I had a seedling that looked variegated but after turning the pot so it got less direct sunlight it eventually went green , so i think gerbil might be on the money

Edited by mac