The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
VINS

MJ connoissor ? about resin production

hi all,

iu am really not an expert with MJ.and i don't understand something. i had an idea and it seems that it is wrong. i was thinking that the sunlight intensity was responsable of the resine production. a kind of defens against an external stress.

but i recently see 2 clones in diffrents location.

and the one wich have the more and better sun don't produce any resin. the other, in his rainy place, is full of resin. :confused:

i don't understand what are the other factor involved. why this result ?

any opinion ? is it possible that a too much heat inhibit the resine production of a strain, if it is a strain for cold climate ?

my answere is directed to all plants...

sounds like the rainy/shady plant has better (overall) conditions than the full sun one.

there are many factors that make plants grow,

but if you give more sun, you have give more water, more fert and so on.

but in this case obviously, the balance is wrong with the sun plant and better with the shade plant. we call this the "law of minimum", it means if only one factor neccesary for plant groth falls behind, the whole system collapses to that very same level!!

prolly the sun plant only lacks water,

but it could be anything.

no doubt that more light means more resin.

are they clones of the same strain?

is there any signs of bugs?

have you been watering the one without as much water ofternly?

what was the soil like in the 2 diff spots, is there much diff?

hi vins

good to see you around too

i can't explain your plants results, but i agree w/planthelper

no doubt that more light means more resin

also, just as a point ov interest, height above sea level also seems to effect resin out put.

i don't know if that's because ov the general increase in air pressure or because ov the decrease in oxygen levels & the corrosponding increase in CO2.

hey Nabraxas ! :D happy too

but regarding my question your answer is complicating the things because the clone which is full of resin is at 0,5 meter from the sea and the other is in the pre-alps mountains ! :confused:

cirus ; yes they are clone from the same mother plant . but soil is different : poor and sandy for the "full of resine clone" and rich and clay (not sure if clay is the right words to describe the red mott ?) for the "without resin". the 2 plants are the same size and shape.

planthelper; i didn't understand the law of minimum, could you give me another try with more simple or different words ? sorry and thanks :rolleyes:

hi, vin's!

basicly your alpine/shady/rainy plant has obviously much better conditions,

more water, more nutrients in the soil and so on.

if the alpine plant would get more sun it might get even more resin.

the costal/full sun plant has bad conditions, because of too little water,

if it would be moved into a location with less sun, it might even do a bit better!

why, because the plant would be less stressed for water.

i try to explain the law of minimum in other words...

plant A (maybe the alpine plant),

water status 80%

fertilizer status 60%

light optimal 60%

ph perfect 100%

temperature and other factors 60%

means it groth should be 60% of the possible optimum groth of 100%

plant B ( maybe the costal/ sunny plant)

water status 40%

fertilizer status 100%

light optimal 100%

ph perfect 100%

teperature and other factors 100%.

meaning you will achieve only 40% of the optimal possible groth!!

all your lots of light and good soil, mean nothing to the plant, it can't use this abundance!

[ 12. September 2004, 09:36: Message edited by: planthelper ]

I have another idea

maybe th one at high altitude is in full sun but the nights and soil temps are cooler

thus the one down bottom has matured faster

It is possible that the one at higher alt is a week behind in maturity

When weed grows it goes through many stages in maturity befor ethe resin producton starts in earnest

at a point the trichomes begin putting out large amounts of transparent or amber resin looking like honeydew

Then these dehydrate and maybe oxidise over a week or so to opaque

it reaches a peak of resin production in this period and this window is good to pick at as the is high THC and less oxidative byproducts and the maximum resin is attached not fallen off or washed off

If it is left even a week or 2 toolong the buds seem to 'dry out' and have gone too far, ok but not perfect. Theye arent as sticky and dont smell as good

Indoors people over-mature because they can and the resin keep son building up. Maybe the THC is not degraded as fast indoors because there isnt th UV light

reville:

I have another idea

It is possible that the one at higher alt is a week behind in maturity

i like this idea, it's seems the more logic.(i will let you know in a few weeks) and the law of minimum is interesting and could explain this too, the only reason why i think it is not that is that the 2 plant are healthy and the same size.

(PHelper ; you made a little error when you read me : the coastal plant is the one with less sun but full of resin)

vin's, that's not what i said,

you got me all wrong,

shakes head, i give up...

planthelper, i apologize for all your effort to teach me. :rolleyes:

but be sure that i understood the low of minimum.

but i maybe not understood correctly your point of view regarding the 2 clone story.

sorry again

if i said that you made an error it was because i read that "your alpine /rainy/shady plant" and because the alpine plant is the one with the more sun. so, is my error because of syntax or another things, i don't know....because of langage anyway.

Hi Vin's

Just wanted to chip in... i would say Reville is on the right track with the maturation theory. Do you know what altitude the Alps plant is at ?. With higher altitude you will have cooler conditions, slower growth and later maturation.

You live and learn.

SFB

i also agree with reville theory but here is the last theory :

the alpin plant is not really far away from the town streetlight....it maybe give it a little bit of light during the night and this disturb the sleep cycle.

???

distinct possibility

also watch it for turning Hermaphrodite under bizarre light regimes

I read a tek where growers use this to induce male 'bananas' , unusual male flowers on female plants

These pollinate and make feminised seeds.

good for that but bad bad bad for maintaining true lines if you do it too much (inbreeding and heavy selection to hermies)

Vin, just to make you a bit more confused.. :)

Please check the RH of both places and the shape of leaves of both plants. Usually, a lower place is warmer and has less humidity than a higher place (regardless of how many rainwater they receive). But plz dont mix this up with the amount of light available. In your case, your mountainous plant may receive more sun light but the atmosphere may still be more humid and the temperature maybe lower than the sea-level plant.

The one that grows in a hotter, drier climate (lower place) will have narrower leaves than the one grown in a humid atmosphere (higher place). In a dry atmosphere the plant can respirate easier because the moisture on the leaves evaporates faster. In a humid atmosphere, the moisture cannot evaporate as fast. Consequently, the leaves have to be broader with more surface area in order to expel the wastes that the plant put out. Since the broad leaves produce less resin per leaf than the narrow there will be more resin in a kilogram of narrow leaves than in a kilogram of broad leaves.

Since the resinous coating on the leaves serves the purpose of keeping the leaves from drying out, you must convince it that it needs the resinous coating on its leaves. In an extremely humid place, the plants develop wide leaves and do not produce as much resin.

There is also an advice to slow down the fertilizer intake before harvesting the leaves. Never fertilize the plant just before you are going to harvest it since the fertilizer will encourage foliage production and slow down resin production.

The one at sea level is near the water yes?

Wouldn't it be true to say that the one up the hill would be subject to lower humidity from the updraft of air drying the resin faster?Almost like a glazing affect.

Also if the one at sea level is being exposed to rain,then new thc glands would be produced as the old ones were knocked off?

I know a gnome who experimented on one plant by scraping glands off the one bud every 3-4 days and it would produce more in response.

bijanto the appearance and resin production of a plant is genetic huminity does not produce plants with broader leafs plants from the caanibis indica type have broader leafs then the sativas which have narrow leafs eithen thought they are both mull plants they are very differant in that they produce differant highs differant yeilds and ect

have you been giving them fertz? i think the proberlem may be that the one in the sun which is not producing as much resin may only be a bit short of P and K plants use large amounts of N and small amounts of P K in veg and large amounts of P and K and small amounts of N in flower try giving it some fertz with high P and K other then that nothing else comes to mind that may be afecting the resin production if you havent been giving flower fertz give it a try and see what happens