post-4338-12625930763_thumb.jpg

post-4338-12625930161_thumb.jpg

post-4338-126259304228_thumb.jpg

post-4338-12625930763_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

careful even handling those ones

deathcap?

i wouldn't have said death cap.

doesnt appear to have the distinctive volva.

but it looks like they may not be fully developed as there is what looks like the veil.

The white gills, veil, and chunky base make me think amanita sp. though.

cheers, Ob.

Edited by obtuse

Hi Spacemonk, it´s definately an Amanita but i doubt it´s A. Virosa or A. Phalloides. My first guess is Amanita Citrina. bye Eg

If I had to tell, I would say some form of Amanita rubscens. These specimens are not very red, but I suggest OP scratch a bit the stem and gills and cap flesh. Red spots and LACK of volva suggest A.rubescens, which is one of the best tasting mushrooms ever, toxic raw, eaten well cooked!

In any case, you all know net-Iding from photos is not safe. ANd other than than, I know my local fungal flora, and I have seen some impressive differences in the phenotypes overseas. So my opinion only an educated opinion.

By saying that, I don't suggest you eat it. You got to ensure no volva was present and the reddining in bruised spots so as to positively ID it, but anyways, amanitas are not game for beginers. And, because this isn't red like the rubescens I am familiar with and eat. But you know we are faaaaaaaaaaaaar away :)

cheers

yeah mutant, i thought long about that one too. I excluded it to be A.Rubescens because of the lacking warts and the shape of the head. But if there are wartless varieties of A. Rubescens, i´d say it´s rather A.Rubescens than A. Citrina. I´ve heard that there are many differences between the european A. Rubescens and the North America one.

Mutant, what do you think? Are there any features present that are able to exclude A. Citrina?

Hmmm, alright, I will give citrina a might-be, colour of photos don't help much but:

IME rubescens as well as citrina, which I find more rarely and most often is smaller [can be bigger though, I read], might not have at all varts or have very little like here. We also got evidence of total lack of volva - even though I see something in a pic - and we also need spacemonk's report on this. reddish bulbous base with no volva. It's a tell tell.

But IMO the most important factor that suggests A.rubescens , rather than say, citrina is the rubescenisque pinking/reddining in almost all surfaces. I bet it bruises red.

Shape of head doesn't say much as they're not fully mature specimens. That might explain also a bit the lack of more obvious red marks. One of them is still 'ringless' because the ring hasn't been released yet!

edit: oh, there no yellow colour in spacemonks specimens [kitrino - yellow in greek] ;)

Edited by mutant

thanks for the input,

decided to wait until i found muscaria, too many maybes.

they did bruise a bit pinkish i wouldnt say red though.