The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
blangschpeer

Varigation

Thought I'd put a few pics up of my little pride and joy, it's a varigated L.diffusa thats about 1.5-2 years old.

I'm waiting for my peres to recover to a nice graftable quality before I give this little guy the chop.

Anyway here he is:

post-1315-1259405763_thumb.jpg

post-1315-1259405803_thumb.jpg

The others are regular peyotes in desparate need of repotting, they're about 2.5 years old.

Enjoy people!

very beautiful!

jsut saying, may want to reconsider the peresk graft. such massive variegation are really susceptible to rot, especially Lophophora. if your dead set on grafting, may want to consider a columnar. just my 2 cents, i know you know what your doing. but i hate to see it die, l;iek so many of mine have.

Awesome! And I second Kadakuda's comments. Very prone to rot, even when grafted. I'd probably go with columnar too, depending on how big the button currently is. Damn that's a healthy bunch of buttons!

Damn that's a healthy bunch of buttons!

Shit yeh man, awesome stuff! Take good care of that lil fella :)

Awesome! what size is it?

I'd use a Tricho spachianus, pachanoi or something similar for a stock.

Edited by culebra22

Very nice!!! :P

I have a doubble headed macro that I will post a pic of when it gets a bit bigger

The Diffusa is about 1 cm wide, I'm sort of reluctant to graft it at that size to a columnar past experience has taught me it needs to be about double the size...

Thanks for the tips though, I might go to bunnings on the weekend to see if I can pick up a skinny trich to graft it to. I noticed the other day that my other diffusa grafts have started to get some patches of rot so they've been painted on the affected area with mancozeb mixed up as a paste. I really hope it doesn't spread through my light box otherwise I'll be down quite a few plants. Time to get fungicidal :uzi:

perhaps a good reason to hold off on grafting...variegated plants are in general far more suceptible....

It appears to be losing a lot of chlorophyll?

I mean like the new growth appears to be completely yellow?

although the greener base should be able to sustain it for quite some time yet if no new green growth continues to be produced so you probably don't have to rush the grafting.

It's gorgeous at any rate though, congrats. :P Super variegate!

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll have to wait til the threat of the black death passes :unsure: I was a bit concerned that it's getting so skinny, but I guess if I hold off for a bit the quality of my peres will only improve and I'll have a better chance of everything working out.

As it is at the moment, there are only the tiniest new patches of green on it but it is reassuring that it can go on for a bit longer.

I'd have to say there's just something magical about that pot they're all in, when my other pots with seedling were schrivelling up that one just kept pumping them all up; not 1 plant in that pot has died! I almost don't want to repot them!

How's your varigated loph going Ace? Hope all is well :)

much of the time, if you reduce light to the plant, they will green up more :) the reason the 100% variegated plants like astros are so cheap is because they are 100% and generally though of as "eventually dead". try and get it to green a bit, they are much hardier that way :)

sounds liek your magic pot is pretty awesome. i have felt that way a couple time swith certain tryas/pots as well...then i go ahead adn graft them and loose the most precious ones...murhpy is lurking around your blade....watch out for him ;)

How's your varigated loph going Ace? Hope all is well

Heya Blangschpeer, all is well. Unfortunately the verigated clones all eventually succumbed to rot. It's kinda wierd (and horrible) to watch because they started shrivelling on the yellow patches and then the scions eventually collapsed into a dry shrivelled corpse. The green patches were the last to go, but they did eventually all snuff it :( One degraft made it to another member here, but I dont know how it is going. It was only a fairly small one way back when I passed it on. Hoping she's doing ok though!

If I were to come across another verigated button I'd graft the hell out of it to maximise the quantity of buttons so if some die from rot, at least the clone lives on through the survivors. That said there were half a dozen buttons of varying sizes and they all ended up dying within a month or two of each other.

Verigation. Beautiful to view, incredibly hard to cultivate. I hope yours is a little hardier!

They look very cute in that little pot. lovely

It's big for a pere, not so small for a columnar permagraft I think.

Great pot... I too think some plants are better growing along others, especially cacti and succulents I think...