The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Intoxicating Mint?

Does anyone know where I could get an "Intoxicating Mint" (Lagochilus inebriens) plant?

In Uzkekistan wink.gif

It hasn't been brought into this community yet, although with the end of the Taliban, it is more likely to source it from the northern regions of Afghanistan.

Fair enough.

I saw it listed in the Erowid database, so I thought that it may have reached the U.S. But there were no experience reports on it, so maybe not. In any case I'll try to look into it further.

I have some seed from Herbalistics, needs cold stratification so I prolly won't get them sown till next season now.

I grew it a few years ago but it died. A very fussy plant and it likes the cold. Effects are weak from what I heard.

lucky, i live in the cold!! what are germination rates like from seed? has anyone got rooted cuttings of this plant?

You can germ the seeds in the fridge. I think they like that.

Thats srange stonehege :scratchhead: Herbalistics where I sourced my seed from describes their dislike for cold wet conditions but also dislikes humid hot conditions. Slightly dry and warmish seems to be the preference for these guys. Soon find out I guess, I have some seed in some 500ppm GA3 solution now :)

Harry, I'm only talking about germing the seeds. Don't try to grow them in the fridge. They grow in a cold climate so I doubt they prefer warm conditions. But I haven't grown them much myself.

Hey Harry,

How'd you go with that Mint germination rate..

i've got some in the fridge myself,but i haven't germinated them there,

merely stratified them

Try shamanicextracts.com. Salvia light or bouncing bear may carry it as well.

Stone is right. Fussy for anyone with any type of decent natural soil. The more you try and "cultivate" it the worse it is. the secret is just getting it a good start. It did well here in Colorado @ 8000 ft. ......Bad, bad soil, nasty winters, harsh sunlight...

Again, what stone said is true, pretty weak effect

Nah got no germinations yet :( I'll put some seed in the fridge over winter and try them in spring.

Planthelper sold a few Lago plants a little while ago, probly over a year ago now. I wonder who bought em.

Edited by Hellonasty

back in about 1980 someone brought back some herbal material from afghanistan and tried to sell it as erb during a drought.......it was very nice......more effective than what i've had in recent years,,which i could still recognise as the same plant......it was sweet and straw coloured.....i assume this was traditionally cured and maybe thats whats required for a good product?

t s t .

Herbalistics sells the dried herb, haven't tested its seed viability, however am experimenting with extracts at the moment. Very sharp plant matter..!

I disagree it is weak.

I have used about 6Oz purchased from DS (Re Salvia researcher who claims he has ID his product as L.inebrians)

I found that regular use of about 2 gms steeped in hot water, 2-3/day produced nice effects, very sedating with euphoria, and certainly a radical decreese of the flood of associative thoughts typical of another commonly smoked herb. Also allows a moving forward, both mentally and physically.

I always add honey to the tea, which reduces bitterness, and seems to eliminate the gut ache me and a friend experienced the first time tried without honey.

After I have used about 6gms ( 3 steeped cups worth) I then boil that material for about 10 minutes, and it is definitely avtive.

I guess the ideal water extraction would be to grind herb into powder, soak in cold water for some time, strain. then steep, and strain.

Then boil and strain. Mix all 3 liquids and add honey.

I've also macerated L.inebrians in vodka which is much stronger than tea.

During my use of tea, the only other drug used was tobacco. There do not seem to be any cross effects.

My friend said that MJ drowned out the effect of Lagochilus. No report for combining with alcohol yet!

Because I have used it regularly over time, with only tobacco use, I have noticed a "reverse tolerance" effect.

By this I mean that I become sensitized to the Lagochilus effect, and seem to need less to achieve same result.

In other words it seems to accumulate over time in the brain, a gradual saturation of receptors, without tolerance.

This herb needs to be farmed here in Oz.

If you check out the weather/climate of Tashkent, uzibekistan, then this is as far as I am aware its ideal growing conditions.

Most importantly, is the summer rainfall, which is extremely low.

I have attempted to upload a picture of it growing wild, hope this works.

I have tried both the herb and pure lagochilin and find both to be absolutely without recreational potential. However, I do feel that it is a very important medicinal herb as it has very clear effects on the heart and circulation.

"I have tried both the herb and pure lagochilin and find both to be absolutely without recreational potential"

Damn, I've got some of these seeds in the fridge too. I must say, I feel exactly the same way about blue lily tho.

"it is a very important medicinal herb as it has very clear effects on the heart and circulation."

If I remember correctly it is a blood coagulant, would this mean an increased risk of heart attack/stroke when consuming copious amounts by any chance? I looked into it before I got the seeds and one guy speculated that these effects were primarily due to high levels of 'vitamin K' so if he was right we are pretty safe I would guess?

Edited by baphomet

Torston, I trust your herb was the real. I doubt Lagochilin is to be comparable to the whole herb. Your comments on your own use did not mention if you had any changes in perception?

Having said that, I reiterate, it needs to be used regularly over a period of days, and without use of other herbs, then it becomes very recreational.

This herb works on the brain, more like a long term relationship, than a one night stand. IMHO, the sex is better.

Also, of note, is the Lagochilus hangover, which is unlike other hangovers.

The hangover is a continuation of the effect without any unwanted side effects.

I've had both inebrians and cabulicus and both produced nothing more than mild sedation. The lagochilin was very sedative, but in a sort of pointless way. The hangover from the lagochilin was pretty bad. I was two steps behind for a couple of days after my dose.

you might be right that the herb requires daily dosing for a few days to develop into something worthwhile, but the initial dose certainly did not tempt me to go that way.

Seems like lagochilus might do some of the sedative work via GABA receptor activity. If there is a GABA-b component that would explain why some people get libido effects from it while other don't [probably the same people who get libido effects from GHB].