The Corroboree
WoodDragon

Mandrake germination

Alrighty, I'm taking the plunge...

I have a few mandrake seeds of several species, and I am keen to give them the best possible start in germinating.

So, the first question is whether attempting to tickle them now is a good idea at this time of year, even in southern Australia? My concern is that waiting for a more traditional season might simply affect their chances of coming up at all... and no, unfortunately I do not know the age of my seeds, although they look lovely and plump.

Second, what cold stratification method have other folk used? I'm tempted to do a couple of weeks of coldwater soaking, with daily changes, followed by planting in just-moist jiffies kept in the 'fridge for another month or so, or until germination starts, whichever occurs first. Thoughts?

Once any little buggers are up I am more confident that I can nurse them, with the proviso that they could handle being born in an austal summer.

Any thoughts at all will be gratefully received...

i need to make a pm,so i found this from herbalistics website on mandrake....../Mandrake or Mandragora belongs to the nightshade family (Solanaceae), which includes also tobacco, tomato and potato. The roots contain tropane alkaloids such as hyoscyamine. Roots are human like in shape and have been used in Germanic religions as voodoo figures. All parts of the mandrake plant are poisonous.

Care and cultivation Mandrake plants are happy with a sandy/loamy soil and can take part shade. Grows more over the cooler months and becomes dormant in the hotter months of the year

i'd like to know about pollination, my autumn mandrake has had quite a few flowers but no fruit set?

t s t .

Alrighty, I'm taking the plunge...

I have a few mandrake seeds of several species, and I am keen to give them the best possible start in germinating.

So, the first question is whether attempting to tickle them now is a good idea at this time of year, even in southern Australia? My concern is that waiting for a more traditional season might simply affect their chances of coming up at all... and no, unfortunately I do not know the age of my seeds, although they look lovely and plump.

Second, what cold stratification method have other folk used? I'm tempted to do a couple of weeks of coldwater soaking, with daily changes, followed by planting in just-moist jiffies kept in the 'fridge for another month or so, or until germination starts, whichever occurs first. Thoughts?

Once any little buggers are up I am more confident that I can nurse them, with the proviso that they could handle being born in an austal summer.

Any thoughts at all will be gratefully received...

Hi WoodDragon, from my own experiences you might be starting too early, best to wait for the end of Summer as I always had trouble keeping them from going into dormancy during hot Sydney summers. If you can get them up and running into the tail of Summer by the end of the next Winter they will have nice established roots which will allow them to go into and revive from dormancy for many years to come!

tantra, I heard some Mandragora take up to 7 years before they will set fruit! No personal experience, but as far as I know since the Solanales are generally self-fertile you should be able to hand pollinate?

Thanks for the heads-up Apothecary.

You confirmed for me my suspicion that this might happen, and even though I'm south of the 'arse-end of the planet' I was concerned about the hot days that we do get.

As I said, the seeds look fat and juicy, so I reckon that they must be fairly young even though they're not 'fresh'. I have them dry in the crisper at the moment, so I guess that I'll just leave them there for a few months, and then give them a bit of moist, cold treatment before warming them up after the worst of summer is past.

Beyond that, all I can do is wait I suppose, and hope that they'll eventually sprout! If this lot don't germinate, I will try again with better timing.

my plant must be at least 5 years old and been flowering for 3years.at least 20 pretty little purple flowers last flush.thanx apo.

t s t .