The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

How to pay duty on imported goods

Some american dipping tobacco of mine got taken by customs and they won;t release it till i pay the duty. I've got keen on snus (which is different todipping tobacco) so i will be ordering it on a regular basis so i need to learn how to pay the duty.

Do i just order whatever i want and let customs find it and they send the form or

Do i pay before they find it somehow.

I'm thinking that there is some form that i have to fill out before i order anything as i can't imagine that the government would rely on customs to find all the goods that need taxing to make them money, so far with me they've got a 50/50 success rate.

Anyone else imported tobacco?

I ordered some more as my dipping tobacco hadn't arrived yet and i'd run out of snus. I hope the go is to just order whatever i want and let customs find it as i don't want to get into trouble. The label on the package says tobacco so its not like i;m trying to sneak it in. It would be cheaper to buy the snus and let customs pick up whatever they find and i get to keep whatever they miss. For the dipping tobacco i have to pay $50 duty on something that cost me $18

Can't believe snus isn't available. I suppose its so the grannies don't get to collect their pensions that they've paid for. If everyone switched to snus people would live too long. IN sweden where snus is common they have the lowest rates of trobacco related cancer, with the highest rates of smokeless tobacco usage.

Snus is cured differently to dipping/chewing/smoking tobacco and is really low in nitrosamines. I'm starting to do research on chimo to see if it is low in nitrosamines as well. I;d imagine it is as it isn;t cured at all and as far as i can see it is the curing process that creates the nitrosamines.

i heard on the radio that it was illegal now to send tobacco products through the mail.

assumed they wanted to stop online sales!

please tell us the outcome.....

t s t .

No, its not illegal, to my knowledge. I got some tobacco picked up last week and as lon as i pay the duty i can receive my goods. THey have removed the gift concession for tobacco as of october 2008 so now there isn't an amount that can be imported duty-free, maybe thats what you're thinking of? You can bring whatever you want in, as long as you pay the duty (and don't bring in more than 1.5kgs. )

this was saying australia post specifically would not carry tobacco products anymore.

was on radio national abc.

but a google shows a few cases in which this is not true.

i see an oz site selling tobacco but it wont sell to ozzies?

does anyone know why there is no online tobacco retailer in oz?

under howard every company seemed to have a right to make a profit.

t s t .

since it seems wrong i wont repeat the warning!

Edited by t st tantra

yeah its sucks that snus is not available in australia, its the best, but i cant keep affording to pay the duty on a few tins of snus all the time.

it usualyl gets through about 1 in 5 gets caught by customs i have noticed

i love snus

so i am keen to hear of what you discover

Today i called customs and i was surprised to not be put on hold for very long. THe guy on the other end told me to import whatever i want and wait for customs to discover it and send me a letter. Suits me just fine, especially if they are missing 4 out of 5 packages :)

Tst- if that oz site is www.tobacco.net.au the reason they don't sell to australia is because the company is selling everything duty free.

thanx,not something i thought of.still i wonder why there is no one doing it for oz?

t s t .

Ive heard a lot of Australian soldiers use Snus instead of cigarettes, dunno if this is only while on OS duty but you may find people selling it close to the bases?

Hey VS,

How long after you pay customs do you have to wait for the tins to arrive? I paid a few days ago so i thought it should be here by now.

I've been smoking while i wait for the tins to arrive and I don't actually feel guilty doing it as i really don't like it as much as snus. I put in a large order for snus on tues so i won't run out for awhile. I really hope customs doesn;t find that package, will be up for heaps!

Hey Tst, I found this site for cheap tobacco http://www.cheapnetcigarettes.com.au/site/...16/product/4020

I have a sneaking suspicion that this site is doing something dodgy because of their price of "wagga rolling tobacco". Its $60 for 200g. THe duty for the same product would be $64.

If you have a look around i'm sure you can find a place for cheap cigs. Here's one i found www.airportcigarettes.com

yeah man usually get it a few days after i pay

last time i got a letter it was 50 bucks or somethign for 3 tins its redicolous, i thought we were allowed to import tobacco products under a certain weight, but it seems that isnt so

anyway i hsoudl put an order in for some more snus

where do you buy it?

i usually go with northerner

my favourite one is skruff stark nice and strong and yummy too

do you go loose or the little packets? little packets you can get some really strong stuff but it doesnt last long

loose is better IMO

Last time i got General Ekstra Stark loose, Odens Ekstra Stark loose and Thunder Ekstra Stark loose. THis is my first experience with snus but i really like it. Below is my review of the three i got.

Odens- Probably my favourite so far. Really strong so the prilla (or quid if you could call it that) doesn't have to be too big. The only problem is that it doesn't hold together the best. Having tobacco stuck all through my teeth is not the most appealing look.

Thunder- Hold a close second with general. Is nice and strong (only a little weaker than odens) but shares the oden problem of not holding together the best

General- THis stuff would be my favourite as it hold together really well but as it is a little weaker than the above 2 i have to use more. If only they made it stronger i would be sold.

THis time i ordered a tin of skruff stark portion. It doesn't seem very economical to me though, especially if i have to pay the duty! I think it may be possible to make your own portions somehow. Just got to work out how.

THe one thing i have noticed is that they all seem to taste wuite similar. The odens is meant to be citrus flavoured but it tastes exactly the same as the other two that i bought. IN the customer comments for general one guy even said " It's too bad it tastes like i stuck a lemon wedge in my lip. I just cant take that much citrus." But i honestly can't taste it! I think that it may be like smoking in that when i first started they all tasted the same but now i can notice major differences between brands and strengths.

I go with northener too, fast service and cheap prices (not that i have anything to compare it to!)

yeah i had odens, its ok, i like skruff loose, its my fav

general pretty good too

you can make your own snus, i can write about it for you if you are interested, although it is quite tricky thing to get right

THat would be great! I would be very interested to know how they cure it differently to normal tobacco. Its said that the different curing process eliminates all the nitrosamines, which lowers rates of cancer associated with its use. Its the only tobacco product that has been able to have the "this product causes cancer" label removed from the packaging, to be replaced by "this product is addictive and MAY be harmful to your health".

I received my american dipping tobacco and it isn't that good. It actually tastes american. It has an overpowering sickly sweet chemical flavour to it and has really lost touch with all that tobacco is. THey could make this stuff without tobacco and you couldn't even tell.

I'm going to give it a chance because i had to pay so much for it in the end but it doesn't look promising. THats a good thing however as american dipping tobacco causes just as much cancer as smoking, just in different spots. Luckily there was a snus sample pack with it so hopefully that will hold me over till i get my next order of snus. Feels so good not to be smoking already :)

Edited by Smiling Cloud