The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Jamanoid

My beef with current gen games

But I thought I'd get it out there anyways...

This is something that's been annoying me with games lately, almost to the point that I just don't feel like I can truly like them as much as I ought to...and what disturbs me is that for some genres of game, it seems to be becoming a trend.

Actually, what I'm about to speak of has even stopped me from playing a couple of games I REALLY thought I'd be playing - I'll get to that momentarily.

The game that started this all for me, Resident Evil 4.

I had played everything resident evil up to this point, re 1, 2, 3, cv, even the *ech* on-track shooter "survivor", played #0 which I think was one of the best RE games I'd ever played and hope to get it and finish it one day - only played temporarily.

Now, later on I tried RE: OUTBREAK and wasn't overly impressed but then with time I think I could maybe get into that one. That's shooting forward a bit.

So, I bought RE#4 quite a while back, really looking forward to continuing in the footsteps of one of the protagonists of my favourite "classic" RE game (2), Leon Kennedy. I had read that this one wasn't actually about zombies, well, not really...and hey, I'm all for change and mixing it up within reason and that didn't deter me whatsoever.

So I turned it on and then got my first taste of something I've come to hate.

I'm not sure what it's actually called in terms of perspective, but I'll just call it "off centre syndrome/OCS".

I tried.

I tried to get past it, I tried to get into this game but I just couldn't.

The controls felt clunky, you couldn't turn around fast enough for my liking, the "backing away/shooting" approach to me felt like it stalled the game significantly, your character felt less maneuverable, and when you did turn around you couldn't see SHIT behind you, there didn't appear (could be wrong) to be a "look behind you" kind of feature that might be at home in a racing game, and to be honest feeling like the character is constantly obscuring a larger chunk of the view than usual just pissed me off...so surprisingly even to myself, I gave up on RE4.

It wasn't just that I'm against change. Code Veronica changed. RE#0 changed even moreso, both evolutions for the better if you ask me - It's just this goddamn perspective and control style I cannot get along with.

Don't get me wrong...I don't just spastically spin around in circles shooting all around me panicking like a little girl, I CAN use games in this perspective/system, and I could probably finish them too if I were so inclined - but I just cannot subject myself to something that constantly annoys me.

Since then I've encountered OCS in the conker remake (though only for a small portion, and you could actually select alternative view, so I dealt with that) I've seen it in fallout 3 though I've not played that due to having sequel phobia about games I haven't played the precursors to, and of course resident evil 5 which to be honest I was expecting after RE4 and while it looked like a well made game, having spent about half an hour on that just last night it's another one I'm about to write off.

Now, you'll probably read that, and figure I haven't spent enough time trying - that's the usual reaction. Though to be honest a lot of the time if a game hasn't struck me within the first 10-15 minutes (rpg development aside) I won't consider it to be a game I can really get into. Could make me a judgemental gamer, but hey if that's me, that's me.

Besides - I do put in more time to games if I really want to try...one of my other recent run-ins with OCS and perhaps the most disappointing, for example, was Batman - Arkham Asylum.

Anyone that's known me for more than 5 minutes will know that this is a game that I would REALLY want to play, more-so than anything else that's out right now. For this game, I played into it until 5% completion.

Wondered around, had a good look, and even got past the fact that it was a bit more of a stealth title (another pet hate, one I HAVE learned to deal with), and all up I played for a couple of hours at least, before I just stopped - I was just sick to death of even TRYING to enjoy this game.

It's a well made game, don't get me wrong...great storyline, good voice acting and a really good atmosphere. I do have some issues with the slowdown during hand to hand combat (they COULD have done something more like "rise to honour" more effectively for faster fighting if you ask me) but that's not what did it for me. It was the goddamn OCS - it was like eating something delicious, but burning hot at the same time.

This, even though the RE series came close, is probably my biggest OCS related disappointment by far.

I get that it's the "in" thing at the moment, and I get why. It looks more cinematic, but yknow what? It's a fuckin' game not a movie...for me it's just a source of constant annoyance, like a comfortable shoe with a squeak...feeling like I can't move around as fluidly/fast as I could, feeling like my character is obscuring the vision of the scene in front. I don't want to have to turn around to get an idea of what's on the left/right...it's just tedious.

So I write this, wondering - am I the only one this gets to?

Surely I can't be?

I'm just sick to death of this annoying style...I mean shit, at least throw in the option for various views...shouldn't gaming have become MORE customisable rather than less?

Ok, rant over.

Whilst the number of options and graphics has increased the addictability and gameplay has decreased. Sometimes less is more. I am no expert on games these days but the latest games seem to use all the buttons (8 or more) combintions are out of control and this detracts from easy fun play. Games these days seem to be designed for no life gamer prodigies.

For example simpler games as far back as mario cart then forward to medal of honour battlemode had my mates and I glued for hours, eyes watering from concentration. Its just not the same anymore.

Edit spelling

Edited by santiago

I think your referring to '3rd person' perspective, I don't like it very much either although it can be a benefit in some games as it allows you to employ extra 'cover' maneuvers such as leaning out from a corner to shoot etc.

The best is having the option to use wither 1st or 3rd person like in Ghost Recon.

Nono, not just third person perspective...I'm actually quite good with those such as the tomb raider stuff, uncharted, syphon filter, MGS and other things like that (though for shooters, I prefer the first person perspective.)

The thing I have is the "off centre" characters...like this:

http://savetherobot.files.wordpress.com/20...fallout-3-2.jpg

http://thesituationist.files.wordpress.com...vil-5-image.jpg

See how they're off centre there? to the left?

I hate that...and yeah usually makes the whole thing just annoying and uncomfortable to me...

Whilst the number of options and graphics has increased the addictability and gameplay has decreased. Sometimes less is more. I am no expert on games these days but the latest games seem to use all the buttons (8 or more) combintions are out of control and this detracts from easy fun play. Games these days seem to be designed for no life gamer prodigies.

That I can deal with but yes find it a tad of an annoyance too.

The 32-64 bit games had it down for me...

3rd person' perspective can be disorientating to get used to, especially if you play mainly FPS style games but once you get used to the game style and the controls its all good. Then again some games are just shit. Personally I find the RE games a bit crapy, never could get into any of them, but that comes down to the type of games I prefer. Lego starwars infuriated me until I got the hang of the perspective and how the game flowed.

The trend I'm seeing with gaming is that its becoming to focused on online play. The single player component of games is suffering as a result. Computer games are part of who I am, I've always played them and hope to continue to but I simply don't have the time for them like I did when I was younger and as a result the single player component of a game is all that is useful to me. I have played a bit of multiplay in system link and stuff with my bro and his buddies and its a hell of a lot of fun but I spend a good deal of time waiting for the respawn counter to get to zero which was very frustrating after a bit. I simply don't play enough for multiplay to be considered "part" of the game I'm paying for.

Has anyone else noticed the decline in the single player component of games with the rise of online multiplay?

Yeah I'm with you there - there is quality gaming to be had, but since they're focussing on online gaming to make their game "big", the single player game suffers, if not in quality, very much so in length.

I think single player campaigns are what should stand out, with online gaming a bonus making it worth replay after completion.

The pics you provided are of a 3rd person perspective view, it needs to be far off center so that one can still aim/melee effectively.

(3rd-Person Perspective: Displayed from a 3rd-person perspective or view; ie. player is able to see him/herself)

Something Ive never understood though is that If 1st-person perspective is through the characters own eyes and 3rd-person perspective is looking from behind the person then what happened to 2nd-person perspective?

While we are venting, I was really disappointed with RE5 on the 360 (my first one), total let down that looked like it was made 3yrs ago and the AI was uber stupid.

Silent Hill was also butchered by not allowing 'inverted view' options, what the fuck was that all about, then Wolfenstein, the MP was terrible and the whole veil thing was a bit crap really.

Come on Modern Warfare 2, FTW!!!!

Flashpoint: Dragon Rising looks pretty sweet as well, comes out on the 15th and ARMA2 looks really nice for the PC, oh and Crysis oh course.

I think the trend toward more online oriented gameplay is also stupid. I'd suggest it's a ploy to generate more revenue through advertising and the like. I think it was Rainbow 6 (the most recent one) that had adds for a new movie and other things. It is a shame because i get more enjoyment out of a single player game and hardly ever have enough time/am in one place long enough to get a good enough net connection. Plus i'm too tight to pay for one :P

But i can say overall the most alarming trend that gamers are burying their heads in the sand about is the fact that extra content has to be bought online. So things like cheats, mods like character costumes, extra weapons or cars and the like dont come included with a game like they used to. New games cost about 90 bucks but with this bullshit you can add another 20 onto it. Such a shame that it's come to this. Games are now somewhat of a money maker and the faster they can spew em out the more they can make.

As for that ocs it doesn't look that bad. Then again if you cant see what's going on on one side of the screen then that will definately add to the frustration. Seems like a bit of a token effect and will prob see its demise soon enough. Bring on Mass Effect 2.

cheers

Funny you should mention that, I just started playing Mass Effect.

Now, it has slight OCS, but in a way that's FAR more acceptable than the aforementioned problem titles, IMO.

Kind of off-centre, but not obscuring anything and not to the point that it feels completely asymmetrical.

So it can work, but when they glue your character to the left/right hand side of the screen - it's too damn much.

btw - Mass effect looks awesome.

That view sort of looks like a combination between 1st person and second person. I can't say for sure as i've never played that game (or any game that has "OCS") but it looks like it would have the same view and gameplay as a 1st person game, only that you can see yourself.

Bought prototype the other day, so brutal. I would highly recommend it. Its like GTA except the gangsters are zombies and your character is like spiderman and superman had a baby and that baby grew up and developed cannaballistic tendencies. Its pretty similar to infamous now that i think about it, i wouldn't be surprised if the two games are made by the same people. I finished it an hour ago and whilst there were many missions it did seem a little short.

A really good value game is GTA 4. Heaps of missions and things to explore. I enjoyed it so much i bought a playstation 2 so that i could play some of the earlier ones. And it doesn't have OCS. :)

A really shit game is the sopranos for ps2, i picked it up for $10 and it was so not worth it, should've put the money in the pokies. Your missions are boring (get fat tony a pizza is one!!) and every time you go inside/outside it takes a mintue to load. This wouldn; be a problem but for the fact you have to go inside/outside ALOT. And when its not loading to go inside/outside its loading for some other reason, like when someon appears. THe graphics are alot better than mot os2 games however (well the ones i've played anyway.

In GTA4, you can pull a gun, someone will call the cops, then if you hide they usually start harassing someone else that's in the vicinity. Loved the new combat system in #4, but miss the craziness of the earlier titles...jetpacks etc ha.

I reckon the fact GTA4 got through as MA15+ is a massive argument to why there needs to be an R18+ classification in Aus. Easily the most violent game i've ever played, and with the realism of it just adds to it. Peoples heads snap back when shot, blood splats on the windscreen, blood pisses out when you run people down. It's farked! And you can beat people to death with baseball bats and shit.

Anyway, 3rd person perspective can be a lot of fun when done right, GTA4, Assassins creed to name a few. Yeah Mass Effect is easily my Fav game on the new Gen era. Being a massive sci-fi nerd and a fan of rpgs it was like a wet dream come true haha. Although it lacked in a few areas, mainly planet exploration being boring as fuck and every planet looking exactly the same, the combat and biotic powers rocked. As did the story!!!

Mass Effect 2 is being published by EA. A company thats notorious for having in game adds and just pretty much fucking games/game franchises that were really good. But seeing as Bioware (ME creators) were a highly regarded company before being bought out it's hopeful that Ea will have enough sense to let them stay in control of the project. But i can still see Shepard spruking the new ADIDAS armour lol.

cheers

Personally I found Mass Effect one of the most boring games I have ever played :) but then I am a fast paced FPS gamer at heart oh and a recently converted rhythm game aficionado (Rockband2 FTW!!!)

The only RPG I have really enjoyed was the Fallout series although Badlands looks pretty farkn sweet!

So how many hours do you think is fair for a campaign? I think 8hrs is fair (which is the current industry standard) but I would much prefer 12hrs.

I also agree that a lot of devs are adding MP just because the public demands it but with very poor result, like the MP tacked onto Brothers in Arms: Hells highway, that was a shocker.

Its just a matter of picking out the wheat from the chaff in the same way you do with movies, most are pretty bloody average but a few times a year there are some real gems like the Call of Duty series, Tom Clancy titles etc, Gears of War etc

With these games you know your getting something high quality that has taken a large team of Devs at least a year to create (or like MW2 two yrs)

A good MP experience can make or break a game though and I can understand why devs want to create the next hot new MP, I mean look at CoD4, I (and most of my mates) played the campaign for maybe 8-20hrs but I have around 1200hrs clocked up for the MP, even more for CoD:WaW.