The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

I think i found some acacia today?

Here are the shots today of a small cutting i took of a wild plant that I thought might be acacia?

Any help with ID would be much appreciated :)

post-6546-1254384234_thumb.jpg

post-6546-1254384257_thumb.jpg

post-6546-1254385265_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dandy

yeah it's acacia. no idea what species though....

man is that freshly stripped bark from a wild tree you say? dude wake the fuck up to yourself :slap:

that amount of bark stripped form that tree is very likely to kill it. so well done for killing a rare native plant for no reason... theres a very good chance that species contains nothing you're after.

& if it does then you probably deserve to be sent to hell on a bad trip or choke on solvents because you fuck up the extract

mate i think you'll learn pretty quickly that killing or maiming wild trees to get high is very much frowned upon.

environmental conscience goes hand in hand with social conscience & social conscience goes hand in hand with our survival as a species on this planet & the more we continue to rape our country because we're too ignorant to think about what we're doing the quicker we're all gonna be dying in misery in our own toxic excrement.

i can't really get a sense of scale with that branch but it could be Acacia myrtifolia

i can't really get a sense of scale with that branch but it could be Acacia myrtifolia

Thankyou for the ID! :), the bark was not stripped, it was hanging off the tree, crumbled of soon as i touched it.

Edited by Dandy

fuck..

if only those who would claim stewardship of trees would realise how quickly they are to forgive..

how freely they do so and without condition.

"& if it does then you probably deserve to be sent to hell on a bad trip or choke on solvents because you fuck up the extract

mate i think you'll learn pretty quickly that killing or maiming wild trees to get high is very much frowned upon. "

I dont mean to quote you or target anyone in particualr Xodarap (only the ideas)

but fuck,

I'm quicker to frown on wishing hell or choking or a bad trip on someone, than I am on taking the life of a being that exists in divine service anyhow.

And the 'power of focus'.. let us zoom in on sustainable freedom.. consciousness through direct experience of truth..

and begin perpetuating WHAT YOU WANT

rather than moving away from what you don't want.

Just an... idea... the trees... share...

:wub:

Edited by G*P

I'm quicker to frown on wishing hell or choking or a bad trip on someone, than I am on taking the life of a being that exists in divine service anyhow.

yeah fair point i was being an ass but divine service? is that a fundamentalist christian thing G*P? like how the bible tells us that humans will have dominion over all of nature & it's all just there to service our needs? if so then that certainly does explain a lot about your ideas man...

sorry but i don't get the idea that any life form that is not human exists only in divine service. sounds very species-centric to me. or are you implying that all life is here only in divine service & therefore it is ok to maim or kill anyone or anything in the name of your own pleasure? & it's ok that every one of us six & a half billion people go about our merry way killing & maiming every divine being we come across?

talking about going to hell, well with acacia extracts thats a temporary thing & if you're smart hopefully it'll teach you something very important & useful so i didn't really mean that in a malicious way.

choking on solvents is a little harder to defend but i didn't say i wished it on anyone, just that perhaps you deserve it if you're approaching these things with ignorant disrespect.

i do appologise for coming across like a massive wanker Dandy, it really is counter productive. i'm a bit sensitive about this area as are a lot of people. our species has got some serious issues right now & these plants & the experiences we can gain from them i believe can help us to wake up & move beyond these issues without killing our planet & ourselves in the process. we live in a massively overpopulated world full of disconnected consumers & if everyone decided now to go out & strip bark off of acacias then the entire genus would be severely decimated, the ecosystems they live within would breakdown & subsequently we (or our kids) would die shitty deaths on a dirty weed infested shit hole of a planet.

none of that really,

and hardly any of that Christian spell bollocks!

'Entering the heart of trees..' a nice meditation, and life practice..

I ask "what do you know, sacred friend?"

And a tree may answer, again and again..

"I find purpose in point, in this thing that we share-

You give me your toxins, and I give you air..

I grow with the light, and you with my fruit

yet how could we hurt or harm each other

its moot!"

I ask, "what else do you know, oh lover thanks given?"

"The same thing that you do, my child my brethren"

I ask "and if there was more, what else would you say?"

"That shade, food or air- I give freely my love, so that you too can play"

-GP

(as stood like a tree)

---

DIVINE SERVICE

I fear there is so much more that the trees can tell us, than some whirly colours- all speaking pixie parts.

To me, trees are like cows. In perfect harmony with 'the way', living and giving. DIVINE, SACRED Udders of life force.

Their values are subtle, as too can be a persons, before they are given freely.. serving the ALL (divinely) without quest for reward.

Edited by G*P

Why aren't people taking camera's out with them and taking shots of the plant in it's natural habitat instead of stripping leaves and bark...because they say oh well I didn't take my camera..well if you didn't take your camera don't take the bark and leaves...go back and take the pictures and stop being so god dam lazy. Having said that taking some old dried bark that is hanging off the tree already, is going to have minimal impact, so is pinching carefully a few select leaves...after all that's how early botanists did it for identification purposes is it not.

i'm not referring to an individual tree's feelings on whether they want something in return for taking something from them or anything like that. i'm talking about environmental conscience on a grossly over populated planet where healthy ecosystems are extremely hard to find. in our consumerist culture when a certain thing (in this case stripping acacia bark to get high) becomes popular in the mainstream it can take very little time for a lot of damage to be done. in this case i feel it's irrelevant whether a tree is giving of itself freely without wanting anything in return. it comes down to ecosystems being decimated. these very ecosystems that we are actually inseparably a part of & which we depend on for our life.

with the current state of humanity it does not take long for massive amounts of damage to be done. ecosystems are destroyed, we eventually die, or or live shitty lives in an inhospitable environment & then we die...pretty simple.

A. mrytifolia has a prominant midvein rater than three parallel veins afaik. So something else i think this is.

I wholeheatredly agree, Xodarap.

Love, and consciousness are the only answers i'v found.

At the root, that is.

A. mrytifolia has a prominant midvein rater than three parallel veins afaik. So something else i think this is.

ah yes true! shape & size of foliage & flowers isn't really consistent either.

hey dandy i'll just let you know...there are about 960 species of Acacia in australia & only a tiny number of those are known to be of any use for specific extracts (which i assume is what you're after).

so stripping bark off of & killing every tree you think might be an acacia probably isn't gonna be very productive huh :wink:

if you have an interest here then i think you really have to be very dedicated (ie there are A LOT & i mean A LOT easier ways to get high), if you have a real interest here then i'd recommend doing a lot of research & reading. have some respect for the bush that gives so much to us & which we rely on for our lives & get right out there into it & spend a great deal of time out there getting to know the plants you find & the ecosystems they live in. this process generally takes years but when it comes to these things thats pretty much what you're in for if you actually want to get any where & be successful.

Hey Dandy

A really good guide to identification is the flora of australis books. They have extensive coverage of acacias. Check them out at maybe your nearest university library.

There is also an online version of flora of australis. Here is their search database page. Just type acacia into the genus field and kaboom.

Edited by cocalero()

pretty sure your photos are of two veined hickory (Acacia binervata) ... would explain the 2 distinct veins on the phyllodes and the fluffy ball flowers... was it found in relatively moist eucalypt forest or on the margins of a rainforest?...

censored for posterity

Edited by reptyle

yeah it's acacia. no idea what species though....

man is that freshly stripped bark from a wild tree you say? dude wake the fuck up to yourself slap.gif

that amount of bark stripped form that tree is very likely to kill it. so well done for killing a rare native plant for no reason... theres a very good chance that species contains nothing you're after.

& if it does then you probably deserve to be sent to hell on a bad trip or choke on solvents because you fuck up the extract

mate i think you'll learn pretty quickly that killing or maiming wild trees to get high is very much frowned upon.

environmental conscience goes hand in hand with social conscience & social conscience goes hand in hand with our survival as a species on this planet & the more we continue to rape our country because we're too ignorant to think about what we're doing the quicker we're all gonna be dying in misery in our own toxic excrement.

bit of an overreaction, the miniscule amounts the OP took for research purposes is completely outweighed by our own everyday use and abuse of natures resources. yes we all love plants and being obtuse and overprotectional in regards to in particular acacia is all part of the psych of the forum, however nobody deseves to go to hell for it as xodarap states clearly.

innocent until proven guilty is one of the most common lines in the letter of law and you have just reamed this poster without any background info at all, probably just like me you wipe your ass with toilet paper, so whats worse...some random dude taking a bit of plant material for personal reasons or for yesterday, today and forever you wiping the crap from your ass from the destruction of a billion plants. (toilet paper)