The Corroboree
Legba

Man charged over kava find

news.com.au/story

A MAN has been found with almost 300kg of kava in his car in the Northern Territory.

Police said Pine Creek police were conducting traffic duties when they stopped a man in his vehicle yesterday afternoon.

When they inspected his car they found a number of garbage bags containing kava in the back seat and rear of the vehicle.

"Police found a total of 294kg of kava divided into 14,700 individual deal bags in the man's car," NT Police said in a statement today.

"It is estimated it to have a street value of $294,000."

Superintendent of the Northern Operational Service Division Helen Braam said it was another example of an organised drug trafficking network aimed at exploiting people in remote communities.

"Police will continue to target these people who deliberately pray on vulnerable people in communities," Supt Braam said.

A 28-year-old man is due to appear in Darwin Magistrates Court tomorrow on drug possession charges.

He has been remanded in custody at the Katherine Watch house.

Yeah im sure its much safer for those people in remote communities to be sniffing petrol, drinking metho, and licking toads! :huh:

Yeah im sure its much safer for those people in remote communities to be sniffing petrol, drinking metho, and licking toads! :huh:

Spot on !

That's our government for ya :)

It's oxymoron!!!

Like how prohibition pushes the price of cannabis though the roof in arhnem land (up to $100 a gram), then the government tries claiming that it's some huge problem up there cause the kooris end up wasting all there money on it, WTF?

But as long as the government keeps everyones wallets fat and your material items flowing, none of you people will dare put your neck out, to claim your born right to use medical herbs or even just to get high, or hold the government accountable for the social mess it's created.

So why would people even bother sitting around complaining about it when everyone is to scared to do anything anyway.

Why can't they just leave the kooris (and the rest of us) the fuck alone to use a little kava, or whatever it is a person likes to use? It's our born right and until someone can tell me the reason I was born to this earth in the first place, then they have NO RIGHT to tell me what drugs I can use.

:wave-finger:

I have had more than enough of there BS, I mean I know our country is being run by christians, but come on, it's past a joke now!

what? 294kg worth $294,000

so sad to see a benign plant like kava lowered to being sold by dealers in baggies at $1000 a kg

Edited by xodarap

"Police found a total of 294kg of kava divided into 14,700 individual deal bags in the man's car," NT Police said in a statement today.

"It is estimated it to have a street value of $294,000."

"Deal bags", my arse. Gotta love the doublespeak. Like my pu-erh tea I get at the chinese herbalist is in a deal bag.

There is no way, at all, that any of this kava could be worth $1000/kilo. I haven't checked the exchange rate lately, but really good kava, which has to travel a lot farther to the US than Australia, costs about USD$35 a pound. Multiply by two, around $70 a kilo. I can't imagine for 294 kg there wasn't a wholesaler discount.

Absurd and disgusting. One of the finest ethno delicacies right at your doorstep, one of the few alcohol substitutes that really works, and your govt says y'all can't have it. Grrrr.

Like how prohibition pushes the price of cannabis though the roof in arhnem land (up to $100 a gram)

is that a typo? really that much for a bud? :huh:

is that a typo? really that much for a bud? :huh:

Wasn't a typo, they pay between $50 and $100 for a gram of weed. People forget that it's a different world up there. You always hear about how all they eat is damper (flour and sugar) and how they don't take care of them selves, blah blah. But then when you find out that they have to pay up to $5 for a APPLE up there, it starts to make you think that just maybe theres a very good reason there not big on the fruit!

Things aren't always as simple as they seem for some people.

i lived at the only non-aboriginal town (to my knowledge) in arnhem land recently, rest assured it is a different world. meat comes from butchers in adelaide or brisbane. the chicken looks feral. the club flies mcdonalds and kfc in from darwin but it's shit. apart from these meat deficits i guess there is heaps of fresh seafood to obtain. weed most assuredly can reach $50 a gram or more and if you venture out of the mining town prices must get steeper and steeper.

i lived at the only non-aboriginal town (to my knowledge) in arnhem land recently, rest assured it is a different world. meat comes from butchers in adelaide or brisbane. the chicken looks feral. the club flies mcdonalds and kfc in from darwin but it's shit. apart from these meat deficits i guess there is heaps of fresh seafood to obtain. weed most assuredly can reach $50 a gram or more and if you venture out of the mining town prices must get steeper and steeper.

maybe 'rest assured' isn't the best term. it doesn't make me rest assured that there are literally still indigenous communities where not only children but whole families are dying of malnutrition. & thats just the beginning.

i have a friend called john who's an western arrernte elder (alice springs area). his oldest son was murdered 2 weeks ago. as far as i know there isn't even a full scale police investigation. this friend of mine is the most knowledgable person i have ever met when it comes to australian (desert) plants. an absolute expert. He is a medicine man from an ancient lineage (sounds like a story book huh). he's such an amazing sensitive healer & such a beautiful man. i have a friend who is deeply depressed & completely cynical when it comes to 'traditional healing' or whatever, but i have watched john take his hand, after which my friend has gone completely limp & i've watched as john held him for a few minutes after which my friend opened his eyes crying & thanking him & was totally blown away by what just happened. my friend didn't really understand what had happened to him but he said he had the most intense de ja vu of his life & just was totally overwhelmed with a kind of bliss. i remember hearing john saying "remember?...remember?" to him as he held him & my friend coming away glowing in a way i have never seen before. he usually appears to be immersed in a cloud of darkness.

so anyway, john was born in a humpy in the bush until he was about 7 when missionaries took him away from his family & sent him to tasmania. most of the rest of his family & tribe were killed by drinking water which was poisoned by a mine. the survivors were sent to live on a mission.

this is an every day reality in australia, but most of us are COMPLETELY ignorant & unaware of what it's like in our own country.

this is pretty unrelated to kava, i was just motivated to say something.

motivated to say something? hhah

all of which people exactly wont put their necks out???

like a turtle swarmed by carnivorous birds...

why dont u drive a hundred kilo of ganja to the NT and supply these people with cheap cheap cheap medicine and get rich...

'anyone who takes advantage of this situation will be dealt with..." ahaha i love the sarcasm...

pardon?

$100 a gram for weed ? Expensive place for substances.... Doing the calculations, the article suggests $1 per gram for kava ! As for the stated 'deal bags' (what a joke haha) they work out to be 20grams each. That doesn't sound right, does it ?

A carton of VB is probably over a hundred bucks too.

why dont u drive a hundred kilo of ganja to the NT and supply these people with cheap cheap cheap medicine and get rich...

'anyone who takes advantage of this situation will be dealt with..." ahaha i love the sarcasm...

Give me some petrol money, a bag of herb and 300kg of kava and I'd drive it up there to them for free!