The Corroboree
SunChaser

purchasing kava in Australia

Ok,I'll probably get into trouble for asking this for some silly reason. Done the stupid search and there's just pages of one person saying you can't and the other saying you can.

Ain't going to be able to get my hands on the usual herb I use for anxiety for a while and everyone keeps on saying how good kava is for anxiety, so I really want to give it a go. But what I need to know is there anywhere in Australia that I can get it? Without a credit card!

It can't be that illegal, you can still buy those kava pills everywhere, which are too expensive and (by how easy you can get them) probably shit.

There must be a way to get kava in Australia, could someone please let me where I can purchase some? Or the process of getting it? If that's what it takes.

This might be outdated information for you, but my understanding was that about 2 years ago the NT government banned it in the Indigenous communities, then shortly thereafter there was a federal ban on the purchase of kava, but not the possession or consumption. Pathetic, really, but it's probably an easy way to effectively stop the using of it without having to jump through as many hoops in getting a substance banned outright.

My understanding at the time was that it was still totall legal to bring back with you from overseas.

I should strongly clarify that this is only the way I interpreted it, and it was a while ago. Please don't take this information as 'fact'. Hoping to hear from people who know what the story is, because I would love to have some kava again sometime soon. Come to think of it, I think I have 1/2 kg laying around somewhere ! Probably no good by now.

There are some contradictions in the law, but effectively it is illegal to sell kava unless it is in a product registered with the TGA and within their limitations [eg those capsules you see at chemists].

All other kava is scheduled S4 and hence SHOULD be illegal to sell and POSSESS. However, as it is still legal to bring in 2kg on your person when entering australia you can see there might be a contradiction.

If you look at the 3 most recent kava threads in the legal section you will see that that's what it says there.

In WA and NT kava is also scheduled separately in the drug schedules.

no, why?