The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
infinite_monkey

ephedra

would anybody out there have any ephedra nevadensis and/or Withania somnifera can trade for although i dont have much, should also mention that i would like some mandrakes but in no hurry

[ 11. February 2003, 14:46: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

i have plenty of withania seed..can you email me a postal address?

hi coin,

I was just wondering what the best way of using withania somnifera is?

Any recipes?

hey gomaos

There’s a tendency in Ayurveda never to use single herbs (alone). This system uses herbal combinations to reduce or eliminate side effects, depending on the constitution of the patient.

Ashwagandha (withania) is considered quite ‘heavy,’ and is usually given with herbs that enhance its digestion. Often this is ginger. Or you can just take it with a meal, but you do need something that helps activate the digestive process.

It has a heating effect, and is recommended to be taken with cooling foods/herbs, such as rice, milk, ghee, licorice.

750mg – 1000mg, is a low general tonic dose, and taking this amount wouldn’t necessitate concern about side effects, etc.

Therapeutic dose, for anxiety, insomnia, arthritis, anabolic, etc is 3 – 6g daily. Probably 10g max, in divided doses, but do a forum search; you’ll find Theo using some megadoses, presumably safely. :) I've seen quite a few studies using much higher amounts.

Anyway, here’s my recipe - low dose, which I'd take each night for a week or two:

I use a rounded ¼ teaspoon (approx 750mg I think..scale up to 1-2 teaspoons if needed..but - bleck!) of ashwagandha, dried and finely powdered, a pinch of dried ginger, and two slices of dried licorice root, simmered in a small saucepan with ¼ to ½ cup of water, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Then remove the lid and reduce the water down to a few tablespoons. Add ½ cup of milk, stirring, and bring just to the boil, then turn off the heat. I add enough raw sugar to make it “palatable” (about ½ teaspoon). Let it cool down a bit. Ashwagandha (literally “horse smell”) doesn’t taste that great. I drink this in a way that only hits the back of my tongue

You could just chuck everything in the pot, and bring to the boil, if that's easier. Or mix the powder with enough ghee to make a paste, then divide it into the appropriate doses, roll them into balls, and store them in the fridge. Swallow the little balls with warm milk.

i can give you ephedra major and nevandensis but i want an arm and a leg for it...

got sinensis aswell all risen from sab stock :)

--------------------------------------------------

than i thought- wau this is better than anything...

:huh: Edited by Rev

to clear things up rev im talking live plants in pots, by the way i dont understand you post...

you dont seem to like my sence of humor.

arm and leg means that somebody has to give me something "decent" as a swape for one of my ephedras...they are 3 years old.

if you think LIVE EPHEDRA PLANTS in pots are easy to come by than you are mistaken.

[ 13. February 2003, 09:29: Message edited by: planthelper ]

shoulder rub planthelper/ reville :i like blazer from the quads at SBS tv, only got a head, but yes, hes happy...

ephedra i know since a long time, oh those chest rubs(creams of old gone times), ohh...and the pills.

i just dont like copying data like others, bla ,bla...

i aske youu (reville), have youuuu got ephedra plants grown in your garden quote:RISEN from sab stock ? NO!- i guess?...

dont, try to topple me, you joey...

i try to help, by giving away plants to the right people...

bye, and lets all learn to let it grow...

wolfgang

:)

[ 13. February 2003, 14:00: Message edited by: planthelper ]

i do realise you're having a joke, but you sure are over-defensive sometimes planthelper

99.9% of the folks around here are really easy-going

no one's trying to show you up, or knock you down

you can be confident about that

:cool:

[ 13. February 2003, 15:02: Message edited by: coin ]

excitement,

afsr i just did send you some white catha edulis seed.agrees..

but right now, i understand you dont have any ephedras? aswell, i might add, i specialize in a few advanced containerplants, a big ephedra in a pot is rare!

and, i dont mean ephedra is rare...

you say you will ask for 5 aus per plant, that is

excactly what i used (past tense!)to sell them for...

but now, its true i work with the rarer or more specialized plants.

ehpedras for 5 aus sell like hotcakes, but old advanced plants have to be expensive because of maintainance/repotting cost.

tissueculture can be a very cheap (no watering, no maintainance)form of propagating and especialy holding plants, setup cost are very high though...

on the other extrem if your set up is poorly designed, than running this akward operation will cost you heaps(money, time and anger).

but if you produce only hundreds of plants (like me) thats ok.letting someone else do the work for you is smart but only done after you established your own protocol. i for example found so much different virgor and size on my ehpedra seedlings,

so i had to become guardian for some of them myselfe..

i mean, in case of just contracting it out, i would have missed out on the "best" myselfe...

the white catha looks like the red, (roundish leaves) only difference is the leave margins are white in color. whilst the red catha (the one established in australia allready) has red margins visable on closer inspection(or better, even the whole leave is blood red, at times of fresh blooms/shoots).

now, the white represents total new gen material(to oz), but some of its children look like having redish veins aswell.

the white strain does not produce pure "red buds" like the red, the best color (fresh bloom color) is as a fact, the same like with the narroleaved catha, which is a bright brounish color or say caramello candy shine...

hard to explain i tried my best.

in short, the fresh and the best leaves to consume "shine"

this color aids as hint for identification of different breeds...

coming back to ephedra, i believe that fresh shoots are aswell stronger. allthough more alkaloids might be found at older plant material, but, of different combination!

a recent topic here anyway.

more alkaloids found at mature sally leaves and so on.

[ 16. February 2003, 15:41: Message edited by: planthelper ]