The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

salvinorinA in peltate glandular trichomes

Check out Seiberts new paper, in which he finds that the location of salvinorinA is located in the peltate glandular trichomes underneath the divinorum leaf. That's like little balloons on sticks popping out when magnified.

A post at spiritplants mentions that therefore merely rubbing the underside of fresh leaves in the oral cavities may be superior to that of the quid. Obviously this is a rich fact indeed when it comes to superior handling and extraction.

Of course, such behaviour in Australia would be illegal.

http://aob.oupjournals.org/cgi/reprint/mch...nlM&keytype=ref

I had one of those Eureka moments recently when reading a post on morning glory seed processing. The gist of it being that an alcohol/water extract enables the LSA to penetrate the mouth lining, with the alcohol acting as a kind of carrier.

This technique is generally underutilised, and seems loaded with potential. Eg, it could mean dispensing with lime for Betel et al, which can only be a good thing. It could possibly mean that certain nauseating substances may become more palatable this way (through bypassing the stomach, or even possibly through the mouth absorption route filtering out the nasties). And then there are all those substances like DMT, salvinorin, etc, which are inactive orally, albeit for different reasons.

My test monkey has never been able to get the salvia dose right enough that he found the experience insightful, and hates that aggressive smoking technique anyway. He is starting to get excited about the prospect of some green vodka!

the salvinorin in trichomes explains why fast extractions yield most of the salvinorin even if the leaf matrial isn't fully powdered. It was rather obvious in retrospect, but I guess no one thought of it....

[ 25. April 2004, 23:34: Message edited by: Torsten ]

This makes me wonder if the venerable hash making technique used by cannabis growers would work on salvia? Perhaps one could just rub the leaves on a screen and collect the potent parts? I suspect that not all the salvinorin in contained in those trichomes, perhaps less than half.

this would aswell explain the fact that,

simply inhaling the fine floating dust of salvia,

can make you "have an experience".

i am talking of beeing exposed for 1h or so, to those fine particels,

coming out your blender or mortar.

i am talking good old legal times here.

some people use a coffee grinder for chopping up there buds, with the result, that trichomes settle at the rim of the blender or grinder.

it seems that centrifugal forces like the one in a blender could be utelised to seperate the trichomes from the rest of the material!!

:D :) :cool:

Might be also worth trying the cold water hash extraction as with cannabis.

Agitating the leaves in iced water with a mixer/blender and straining through appropriate filter bags.

"This compound is quite stable under ordinary storage conditions." At last we know.

"Clear adhesive carton sealing tape was used to remove leaf trichomes."

[ 26. April 2004, 21:23: Message edited by: theobromos ]

Hmmm... I wonder if Manco Inc. has a distributor in Australia.

And I guess that people who grow SD in hydro conditions would do well to ensure that humidity was acheived through piezo-mist rather than hand misting.

John_Barleycorn:

I had one of those Eureka moments recently when reading a post on morning glory seed processing. The gist of it being that an alcohol/water extract enables the LSA to penetrate the mouth lining, with the alcohol acting as a kind of carrier.

Is there some sort of conversion when alcohol is used or does it just allow the salvinorin (or whatever) to pass through the mouth lining more easily by cleaning of dead skin layers and other stuff?

i.e. Would rubbing your gums/mouth with alcohol before hand be enough or does the alk. have to be suspended in the alcohol?

[ 08. May 2004, 12:06: Message edited by: Felix ]

I really liked the histochemical analysis. That's given me a few ideas...

quote:

Originally posted by Felix:

Is there some sort of conversion when alcohol is used or does it just allow the salvinorin (or whatever) to pass through the mouth lining more easily by cleaning of dead skin layers and other stuff?[/QB]

I'm not sure of the exact mechanism. I know alcohol absorbs through the mouth fairly readily, so my best guess is that the goodies hitch a ride, so to speak. This method at least probably speeds things up and increases efficiency, as opposed to waiting for the goodies to become mobilised out of the plant fibre by the action of saliva.

Anyway, FWIW, my one test of this principle with Sally didn't work. But then again, I have never successfully absorbed either a quid of leaves, or even pure acetone extract.

And whilst I'm reporting negative results :( , I also got nowhere with a couple of varieties of Betel (one from the Asian grocer, one from SAB). I even went to the extent of making the alcoholic extract alkaline, first with bicarb soda, then with washing soda (not so keen on using lime). However, I don't think the potency in either case was too flash in the first place.

[ 09. May 2004, 18:46: Message edited by: John_Barleycorn ]