The Corroboree
landon

why wont they germ.

well i recently came by some peruvian seed i put them in a mason jar with about 3 inches of organic cacti soil placed the seeds 1 mm deep watered them and then sealed it up for a week. nothing happent so i took the lid off and have been misting it every 3 days still nothing is happing what did i do wrong i would be forever gratful for a little help

thanks landon

Cactus seeds can take a while to germinate, up to about 6 months IME. It is obvious that you have done some research, but it seems you need to do more. There are plenty of threads about germinating Trichocereus here. One particularly popular technique was posted by Rev (IIRC) a few years ago. Search for "takeaway container", or something along those lines.

Just a friendly note, in future you are probably best off explaining why you did exactly what you did, where you got that information, and the lengths you have gone to to find out why it is not working. In particular, you will get the most help if you explain what information you have uncovered by using the search engine and why this hasn't been enough help.

:)

Could be the seed. Depending on age and genetics the seed may not be viable. Temperature plays a big part too.

I agree with HN. The only factors that are needed for germinating seed are heat and water.

I agree with HN. The only factors that are needed for germinating seed are heat and water.

and time - I think you're being a bit impatient. Perhaps use a shallower container (oven tray etc), less soil and definitely a heat mat....

Don't expect anything for at least a few weeks and try to resist the urge to look at them daily. I've dropped containers and spilled the babies before with my unecessary checking. :ana:

Don't over-mist either, or the seedlings will rot.

All the best, it's really not that hard in the end.

There seems to be a LOT of pedro seeds about on this forum, you should just try getting some new ones from the free trade thread or just ask if anyone has some fresh ones to trade. My techniques are pretty shit but as soon as i started using good fresh seed, particularly from people who have harvested from their own collection, i have been getting like 90% germination within a week.

thanks

im going to leave them alone and keep misting them twice a week for a while

ann also try to get some more seeds and try again.

maybee try a shalow plate this time i think sealing up the jar was a mistake or maybee i used too much water. i havent quite figured it out yet im really really good at germ. and growing regular plants and everthing so maybee i got some bad seed ?

why do some seeds take months to germ and others take a week?

it dont make cence to me???

I don't have a huge amount of experience, but even in warm weather (which it didn't occur to me in my previous post that it would probably be in the OPs location) I have only had the most vigorous species (spachianus for instance) germ within a fortnight. I have never used a heat mat, but Landon doesn't mention having used one either, so I don't see any reason why they should germ in a hurry. In light of that, although it is possible that he has dud seeds, I don't know why this would be a reasonable first conclusion to come to.

Also, they have the best chances when the soil is kept permanently moist, so make sure it is not drying out between misting. This is why I like Rev's tech, because I always end up screwing it up at some point otherwise. This way, as long as the soil is sterile (I don't bother dusting the seeds with fungicide or anything), they can just be ignored until they are ready to be hardened off.

By all means, buy more seeds, and from different vendors, and see if you have better luck with some than with others, but give it time and also troubleshoot your technique if you see nothing in a couple of months.

Edited by lsdreamz

well i recently came by some peruvian seed i put them in a mason jar with about 3 inches of organic cacti soil placed the seeds 1 mm deep watered them and then sealed it up for a week. nothing happent so i took the lid off and have been misting it every 3 days still nothing is happing what did i do wrong i would be forever gratful for a little help

thanks landon

Hey dude, I planted mine last year around winter and kept heat on them for weeks until summer came around and have 5 seedlings. After all this time they are only around 3-5mm tall with little spikes taking form.

Patience and a lot of love will get them going...

ive had seeds take varied lengths to germ, give them time

ive got trays of trichocereus 3cm tall seedlings that have seeds just starting to germ while the rest are already 3cm tall

a tray of 200 gymnocalycium seed that took weeks for only 7 to germinate i misted them once a week and almost a month later almost all 200 germinated.

so have patience....

or you could have dud seeds :rolleyes:

I germinated some seeds last summer & moved them inside into a fish tank & 5 ft growlux type fluro & reduced watering over winter & was surprised to see the rest have germinated 6-7 months later after with very little misting & under much lower humidity.

I think EG also mentioned in a post having success with hard to germinate or older Knize? seed with a similar method of letting them dry out slightly between watering

i don't use a heat mat but have made up a clear plastic 20 ltr container & old aquarium heater for germinating during the colder months

Edited by mac

thanks landon

Don't worry mate, your not the only one. I have had my seeds in the Propagator now for about a month and still no signs of life. I'm starting to think dud seeds myself or just a dud gardener :huh:

Hi Guys, have been away for some time but that will change soon. Some short remarks about germinating old cactus seed. Dont cover the seed with soil! Just sprinkle them in top of the soil, spray a little bit with water and then close the lid. This way, you see if the seed becomes moldy. Cactus seeds with mold on them are probably dead. This does not apply for regular seed but i usually discard moldy cactus seeds. Most cacti seeds are fast germinators. Trichs, Lophs, Echinopsis, etc germinate fast. If those kind of seed wont germinate after 2-3 weeks of humidity, let them dry out completely and then repeat the watering cycle for another 2-3 weeks. If nothing happens, seeds are dud. But take care, there are some certain cactus families that need changing cycles of heat and humidty for months! For example tephrocactus! I threw away viable seeds a few time till i realized that this cactus needs more time and diffrent treatment! See ya later! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Hi Guys, have been away for some time but that will change soon. Some short remarks about germinating old cactus seed. Dont cover the seed with soil! Just sprinkle them in top of the soil, spray a little bit with water and then close the lid. This way, you see if the seed becomes moldy. Cactus seeds with mold on them are probably dead. This does not apply for regular seed but i usually discard moldy cactus seeds. Most cacti seeds are fast germinators. Trichs, Lophs, Echinopsis, etc germinate fast. If those kind of seed wont germinate after 2-3 weeks of humidity, let them dry out completely and then repeat the watering cycle for another 2-3 weeks. If nothing happens, seeds are dud. But take care, there are some certain cactus families that need changing cycles of heat and humidty for months! For example tephrocactus! I threw away viable seeds a few time till i realized that this cactus needs more time and diffrent treatment! See ya later! bye Eg

Wow. Thanks Evil, that is some great info there. I will be definately trying your technique.