The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
GreenTara

Putting my Cacti in the ground

I have a bunch of different cacti in pots, all with roots, I want to put them in the ground, should I wait until spring? Also should I mix sand in with the soil? Can I use beach-sand or should it be more coarse, like river sand?

Thanks

Spring's good, as is river sand. Drainage is the key.

If you get a lot of rain, you may want to think about raising the bed a little.

I always wait till spring to plant out, just to be safe.

A sandy mix is a good idea too but I have no idea about beach sand. Another good idea is to raise your garden bed, e.g. put a large ring of rocks down & fill it with extra soil, then plant your cacti into that as per usual.

Oh be careful about asking too many questions or some rude bastard will tell U to UTFSE! whatever that means LOL :P

**EDIT: Yeah Like SB says, raise the bed**

Edited by San Petrovinski

Oh be careful about asking too many questions or some rude bastard will tell U to UTFSE! whatever that means LOL :P

**EDIT: Yeah Like SB says, raise the bed**

yeah I forget that even this community r filled with dos n don'ts, politics, thanks for reminding me.he he

Sweet, thanks for your time n brains guys...

Edited by GreenTara

More to do with asthetics, making it look pleasing to the eye, if your planting your cacti in groups or like making a small cactus garden , odd numbers seem to look better than even numbers i reckon, i always try to use numbers like 1,3,5,7 after that there is too many and it doesnt matter, hehehehe

odd numbers seem to look better than even numbers i reckon

There must be something in that because I've heard a garden design trick is to plant the same plant in groups of 3.

Edited by strangebrew

Read somewhere, donno if I was lookin at numerology, or if it was philpsophy of magic, but odd numbers always strive to be even so they symbolise movement. Which is what we want when we're groin.. so makes sense. Although im more for lookin at what cacti likes the company of the others when i place them out in the garden

Edited by GreenTara

im more for lookin at what cacti likes the company of the others when i place them out in the garden

Hi Tara, it really depends on what your garden grows. I've found most general cacti are so easy going that they dont mind adapting to not-so-ideal soils/watering regiments. All as long as you remember to err to the side of underwatering (to avoid rot). Unless you have very different species with very different needs (such as ariocarpus and trichocereus), you shouldn't have much trouble planting them together. As mentioned above, run with asthetics and you should have no probs :)

Since this thread already exists, I though I shouldn' post a new thread.

If you get a lot of rain, you may want to think about raising the bed a little.

would we have the same result [better drainage] making our cacti garden in a slope??

Do you have any good ideas on acclimatisation cacti to automn and winter rains?? { I am in southern europe mind you} The only thing I have thought of so far is the obvious:

1) try to plant cacti as big and established as possible, early in spring, the beginging of the season

2) Make a small shelter for the cacti garden for the first winters at least.

You see, my project for a couple of reason fell behind, so 1) could not really be delivered, and now I think I can only plant more cacti in that bed only if I decide to shelter the place during the wet period....

what do you think?