The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

my cactii shock!

it must have been over 6 months ago i visited a cactii garden about 60km from my home.

it was a strange windy day.

there were a wide range of cactii ,esp different trich variants.

all the plants had a similar growth habit,short ,thick and with much pupping.

this was on an open flat plain.

the plants were mainly the same green,there was almost no glaucousness,even on bridgesii!

there were a number of plants that had come from my garden to this new environment.....i didnt recognise most of them!!!

so i ended up somewhat in shock at the change in appearance which can occur over just 60km and still feel similar even now...........

t s t .

Interesting! More sunlight maybe.

Do you mean that you are still surprised/ shocked 6 months on? All I can say is that cacti never cease to amaze. esp Trichs lol

yes,still shocked!

dont know what to say about it.......yet......

t s t .

yep, cacti can change there appereance quite a lot according the conditions.

60km you say? well the same thing happens even in the same town.

very often one thinks oh, thats a new cacti and once you grew it at your own home for a while, you realise it's that common pedro, haha.

cacti obviously respond very close to any aspects of cultivation, and this is enough to make them look totaly different.

lot's of water = v notches are spaced wide

little water = v notches packed closly

lot's of direct sunlight = non glaucacious

shade = very glaucacious

so to proper id a cacti, one needs to home grow them for a while, before jumping to conclusions.

i collected quite a few cacti over the years thinking, oh, it's a new one, and once they grew at home, most turned out to be already excisting clones.

Heaps of people have collected cacti from the wild. Two plants of the same species, only one at the bottom of a hill side and one at the top. Then they get called two different varieties.

Seems silly to me to distinguish a species based on environmental conditions.

Seems silly to me to distinguish a species based on environmental conditions.

Maybe they sing different songs? donnno if that should be visible in thir names though?

Btw don't mean to miss use these threads by asking questions I can research elswere. Just that im only starting to get used to using internet n computers as ways of communicating and reaserchin. So thanks for help full links.

Can u tell the potency of a cacti by it's Glaucousness?

but it's purdiness level increases as the glaucous does :lol:

I have seen massive changes in Cannabis in different environments, clones cut at the same time, rooted in the same place, some go to shady yards, some to windy hilltops, you would not believe they had anything in common. Sure cactus is slower growing, but different soil and microclimate does incredible things