The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mescalito

Nelumbo Germination

After much scratching and cursing (not my arse,the seed coat) I thought "...there must be an easier way!'..very Aussie of me

Then I remebered that little arlec thingy..'...hmmm what if I drill a small hole on either side...?''that would do the same thing....I'm sure!!'

Well it does,it works brilliant.You just have to drill until you see the cream colour emerge,drop the seed into a glass of pre-boiled water(cooled of course),keep at around 20-24'C, some light seems to help too and change the water regularly :)

I have mine growing in a large clear wheelie-type plastic tub with 1/3 sand,1/3 potting mix 1/3 Coir...yes it all settles much to my surprise!

The bonus with this method(I hope)is that you can easily protect them from frost with the lid that comes with the container if frosts are a reasonable problem.

Anyway,this method worked too easily for me,so basically anyone can get results

scratching won't do shit! These are tough little buggers. We screw ours in a vice and then attack them with a hack saw. A sharp blade will do it in 5-10 strokes. If they are really round and glossy then getting a hold with the drill might be difficult. Also, make sure to use a vice unless you like pain.

Instead of drilling, use a small grinding bit in the drill like the ones used for chainsaw blades . You can get a full kit with Drill/Handpeice & about 50-100 bits @ most hardware or even some liquidation stores and they arent that expensive...Does glass 2 :D

Regards,

Mojo.

I dont know how many of these SAB sells but i just wanted to recommend this seed to anyone putting in an order

I germinated mine using T's method in a glass cup on top of the fridge. too easy.

The seed naturally can remain viable for 100 years in the lake sediment so its not suprising they have very good germ rates

And cheap!!

Take a comparative look in any nursery at the price of a potted nelumbo, and seed isnt available anywhere else ive looked

sorry i just like the Lotus :) its one of those plants you have in the Ethnobotanical garden that adds something special. Like a big trich or a woodrose on the pergola.

Entheoscaping mmmmmmmmmmm.......

and it is one seed where we can always guarantee huge viability. We've germinated every single one of our scarified seeds so far and we've done about 100. That's 100% germination. Hard to beat by any other species.