The Corroboree
Chiral

Grafting with old tricho's

In an endeavor to keep one of my Norma tips from rotting when it finally gets planted, I thought that seeing as how I have a couple of cuttings it would be a good idea to graft one of the tips to some old Pachanoi stock. Any of you old hands here wanna give me some advice and or tips regarding if it's going to be okay.

Below is the old stock pach that I will cut about half way down in early spring and place Norma on top and hopefully she will take...is there any issue with old stock and grafting...not vigorous enough maybe...?

I'm hoping it's okay so as i can give the tip a nice head start and get some vigour into it actually.

thank you kindly... :)

post-4860-1247718402_thumb.jpg

Old pachanoi to be used for stock.

post-4860-1247718436_thumb.jpg

Norma tip also presumably quite old.

oldstockpach.JPG

normatip.JPG

oldstockpach.JPG

normatip.JPG

From my knowledge HK, I'm not sure how well it will work seeing as the vascular tissue on the stock and norma cutting my be too old and woody to take. This is why growers tend to do grafts on the fresh growth of stocks to improve the chances of a healthy union. I've done grafts on old pachanoi stock with miniatures and sometimes they survive but won't take properly making them grow really slow if at all. This might be different though.

Either way I'm interested to see how it goes, I hope it does well. :)

I reckon you can do it HK it will def keep it alive over winter. You just need to put the graft into a high humidity environment. The cactus that you want to graft to doesnt look that woody from the pic. It is best to graft to the tip/ new growth area but I have grafted to stubs before with our any probs

I tried doing a similar graft and noticed the core down from the tip wasnt so much woody but definitly a bit stringy and not easily cut ,the graft failed and now i stick to actively growing tip areas to avoid the lignified central core.

Maybe a wedge graft will work better, exposing more of the inner tissue and core to the graft...?

H.

I don't see why you would graft it ? Why not root the cutting. You will only get on par or slower growth, I would suggest slower unless you do a perfect graft in regards to vascular connection, and you never end up with a "Norma" rooted plant. There is also the chance of it rotting or the graft not taking. If you root it you are 99% assured of a new plant. I also agree with KanJe and think the Pach will be too woody for a good chance of success.

Edited by Hellonasty

IMO those Norma cuts went bad because they all spiked each other so much (from being piled up on top of eachother in the back of the ute). Oh well, sht happens to the best of us...

Your tip looks like it didn't get as damaged and seems quite healthy. They should do fine just rooted in a pot and kept outa the cold etc. As the others have said, the patch seems a bit 'iffy' and maybe a bit pointless. Good luck with it, it's a very nice clone indeed.