The Corroboree
hutch

Is this an Acacia? ID please

Question

These grow all over my property and I was hoping someone would know the exact species. pretty sure it's an acacia but I've been wrong heaps. Thanks in advance

Hutch :wink:

post-4370-1245298099_thumb.jpg

post-4370-1245298146_thumb.jpg

post-4370-1245298182_thumb.jpg

post-4370-1245298442_thumb.jpg

Edited by hutch

11 answers to this question

definitely Acacia...

if I was going to have a stab I'd say it's Acacia concurrens.

H.

Nice pics, but it's very useful to include photos of the pods too.

But here are some possibilities:

If you're between McKay & Canberra it might be Acacia leiocalyx subsp. leiocalyx.

If you're north of Townsville it could be either Acacia mangium or Acacia polystachya. In A. mangium the secondary nerves (veins) are reticulate - i.e. they intersect a lot. In A. polystachya they tiny nerves are finely parallel and rarely intersect.

Nice pics, but it's very useful to include photos of the pods too.

But here are some possibilities:

If you're between McKay & Canberra it might be Acacia leiocalyx subsp. leiocalyx.

If you're north of Townsville it could be either Acacia mangium or Acacia polystachya. In A. mangium the secondary nerves (veins) are reticulate - i.e. they intersect a lot. In A. polystachya they tiny nerves are finely parallel and rarely intersect.

How can he put photo's of the pods when it is in flower....?

pods still to come...!

H.

seems similar to rubida and auri[something] but different.....related maybe.....but same leaves and identical though larger flower spikes.....could be some empty pods on the tree still..... these seem to be active but not confirmed......

t s t .

apparently the above plants were tested by smoking flower spikes or dried bark......a smoke of some spikes should give an idea of how much effort to put into it.....5m+d?.....

Edited by t st tantra

Last season's pods can usually be found under the trees. Even if they're in bad shape they can be useful, esp. if photographed next to a ruler. There are around 1200 types of Acacias and it's very hard to get a firm identification without pods, even when the photos of the other features are excellent.

Hey Cristop,

Welcome to the corroboree. Sounds like you have a good knowledge of Acacias. Do you have a horticultural background? I am really taking an interest in Acacias of late and having difficulty identifying them, unless I grow them from seed or buy plants I just can't tell whats what when I see them growing wild. In conversation with other horticulturalists it seems that they hybridize very readily and that can make identification even harder... what is your opinion of this? Also if you are able to ID a plant from pictures, what helps the most? Macro shots of the leaves, (veination ? spelling error there maybe) the seed pods? The flowers? The plants habit in general?

There are just so bloody many of the lovely things I'm really trying to work them out!!!

peace

mz

hi Hutch, pretty sure your photos are of Acacia leiocalyx (early flowering black wattle), i live on the gold coast where there are thick stands of leiocalyx and Acacia concurrens (late flowering black wattle) growing together and at the moment the leiocalyx are in flower whilst the concurrens is about to flower sometime soon (flower buds are still closed)....these 2 species look fairly similar however concurrens usually has much larger broader phyllodes which are a rusty grey-green in color in contrast to leiocalyx which has 'cleaner' looking bright green phyllodes as seen in your pic......reddish branchlets as seen in your photo are also indicative of leiocalyx....

hope this helps

I will have a good look today for any seed pods that may be left lying around. I am sure I have a few different species of acacia on my property. I will try and have them identified one by one so as not to confuse , LOL...I'm sure one of the species I have got is longfolia (if thats how you spell it). More pics to follow..

Thanks for your help.. God I love this forum.

Hutch

Sorry but there are no seed pods left over from last time. As soon as they appear I will forward some photo's.

Cheers

Hutch

Hey Cristop,

Welcome to the corroboree. Sounds like you have a good knowledge of Acacias. Do you have a horticultural background? I am really taking an interest in Acacias of late and having difficulty identifying them, unless I grow them from seed or buy plants I just can't tell whats what when I see them growing wild. In conversation with other horticulturalists it seems that they hybridize very readily and that can make identification even harder... what is your opinion of this? Also if you are able to ID a plant from pictures, what helps the most? Macro shots of the leaves, (veination ? spelling error there maybe) the seed pods? The flowers? The plants habit in general?

There are just so bloody many of the lovely things I'm really trying to work them out!!!

peace

mz

I work as a botanist. There is a program called "Wattle" that was developed by the Acacia guru Bruce Maslin, and it is excellent for identifying Acacias. I think it costs around $100, so unless you are doing this a lot it wouldn't be worth buying. But you could google it and see if it's worth your while.

The features you can include cover all aspects of the plants anatomy. If you send photos of phyllodes, pods, inflorescences etc - it is good to have a ruler, matchbox, pencil or whatever in the shot for scale. Also if you give your location this will narrow down the numbers of candidate species. The fact that your's was a tree narrowed it down a lot.

I like Acacias too! Their diversity blows me away.