The Corroboree
mutant

Homemade insecticidal solutions

As I have stated elsewhere, last year I grew nicotiana rustica and it prooved very helpful as an insecticide. It shows this year, that I don't have any plants ready yet , and I could sure use nicotiana poison: nikotine for mealy and spidermites. My younger turbinas seem to have been targeted, they are constantly attacked. sopa and spirit are ok, but nicotiana is stronger for bigger attacks...

Well, the question, hervesting some plant and making small portions of the insecticide to be used soon is OK. What about making more material?

In such cases it's very easy and quick for the solution to ferment and stink horribly. Look this older somewhat humourous thread in e-dot. now the question is, if the liquid ferments, even a bit [stirring will hold up a bit the fermentation] is it still usable as an insectide??

The plant in mind is nettles solution which are supposedly both insect repellent and nutricient.

the nettle brew and other brews could be stored in the freezer to extend there shelflife, however obviously that would only work for small ammounts.

i know what you mean, mixing up a new batch of liquid for everytime one wants to treat a certain problem would be a hassle.

chilli brews don't go off though, and maybe the answere to this problem could be to manufacture a "stock solution" made by using metho and than just to add x ammounts of water before usage.

the sting nettle liquid does do get smelly very fast though, and as such one can't keep it for long.

back in oz i started growing neem trees as they come very handy as pest controll agent, all one has do to is to take the leaves or better the seeds and macerate them into some water, and than use this water as a spray.

using metho instead of water would produce a stronger spray and result in a "stock solution" which could be stored for longer than the water. do use it one would have to add a save ammount of water before using it.

for most of us growing neem would be out of the question but thank god neem oil does the trick to perfection and can be easely purchased for little money if one keeps looking around for it.

All Natural Botanical Pesticides-

Azadirachta indica ~ "Neem" Oil

Nicotiana species ~"Tobacco"

Allium sativum ~ "Garlic"

Asimina triloba ~ "Paw-Paw" leafs, stems and bark

Equisetum arvense ~ "Horsetail Tea"

Althea officinalis or Anthemis nobilis ~ "Chamomile"

Diatomaceous Earth

Edited by Teotz'

I find a solution of Pyrethrum and Lux soap flakes (wetting agent) to be a good insecticide. It doesn't store well though as the soap tends to turn to jelly if it sits too long but it is easy to mix as required and is pretty well harmless. My brugs were being attacked to the point of nearly having no leaves left and now they are looking great. Works well in my orchid as well. I also use it on my hydro tomatoes (real tomatoes) and the grubs just hate it and I feel safe in eating the fruit later. Killed the spider mite on one of my cactus as well so all in all I think it's pretty good stuff.

Cheers

Hutch :wink:

one day I ran out of my neem spray that I normally use for getting rid of bugs, it was a long trip to town and I had a major scale bug infestation so thought I'd try whatever I had lying around the kitchen.

mixed up 2teaspoons instant coffee and a squirt of dishwashing liquid in about 1 litre of water and sprayed over ants and scale bugs. the ants were killed pretty much instantly and the scale bugs were killed and easily brushed off once they dried out. I couldn't beleive it, it actually worked heaps better than the commercial neem soap spray which is quite expensive.

http://www.groworganic.com/pdf/pestsolutionschart.pdf

not home made stuff, but a very nice reference

Am I right in thinking calamus has a certain chemical in in which many insects don't like ... have a feeling it may be pryrethren but not 100% sure I seemm to have misplaced the book or article that made this statement

Am I right in thinking calamus has a certain chemical in in which many insects don't like ... have a feeling it may be pryrethren but not 100% sure I seemm to have misplaced the book or article that made this statement

The asarones in calamus are known for insecticidal activity. Could be an effective, fragrant option.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/1...17.2008.00205.x

Edited by Alchemica

Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap (Peppermint) works very well

for me. Just mix 1 tbsp liquid soap to 1 liter water. Cheap to

buy, easy to mix and 1 qt. bottle lasts a very long time.

Thanks a lot for input, planthelper the alcohol-based concerntrated stock is actually a very good idea, will propably do this with nicotiana

what about sambuccus? anyone know anything?