The Corroboree
hutch

Do you think my P. Viridis is sick?

Can anyone tell me if they think there is something wrong with my P. Viridis. She just seems to be sitting dormant and now she has some blackened parts to her leaves. She is in quality potting mix and I am careful not to let her feet stay too wet for too long. Minimum temp has been about 8 deg C and 18-19 each day. I only let her have the last few hours of the days sun so as not to burn her leaves. Am I doing anything wrong?

Concerned parent.. :huh:

Hope this is not in the wrong forum I just couldn't work out where else to put it.

Hutch

post-4370-1244344833_thumb.jpg

I don't own a Virids but I do have P.Alba. I understand that P.Viridis is much more sensitive to the cold so if she is experiencing below 10c often that may be a factor.

My Alba loves lightly moist soil all the time, I have never let it dry out much. Maybe you could try amp up the water a bit.

Another factor is humidity, Viridis loves high humidity so maybe consider keeping it in a green house or simply cut out a 2litre juice container and sit it on top of the plant.

I'm sure some veterans will pipe in with more info soon. Good luck :)

edit; Viridis is also extremely slow growing. So I wouldn't expect much growth over winter at all.

Edited by kenny

I had success saving my Viridis by transplanting it into a very hydrophonic soil mix..

1part Vermiculite

1 part Perlite

1 part horse manure..cured and crumbled

1 half part of garden soil screened and cleaned...

as soon as I placed her into this mix she took off and threw shoots everywhere and is as healthy as I can have her...they seem to like very airy free flowing soil...they like being wet too...mine cops rain and water nearly every day and it's thriving even in these cold wet conditions it is still growing and they leaves are nice and dark green and shiny.

try transplanting her into a new light soil and water her ...keep shady and somewhere out of any cold winds..this time of the year it's a lot of cold southerly's so place some where up against a north facing fence and see how she goes.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

Thats exactly how mine looked about a week before dying from root rot.. yours may be fine, but it could pay to check the roots arent remaining soggy inbetween waterings.

the person before you probably had her under a dome or in a glasshouse and now she is shocked getting used to your dry air.

putting a plant in a big pot like you have done was not a good idea either, as it gives you less controll over the root enviroment. i mean if the roots are too wet, it will take longer for the soil to become drier in between the waterings.

if the soil you used for potting up is of good quality and has good drainage than leave her in the pot and place a softdrink bottle (base cut off) over the plant. i would not put the lid on the bottle and wait 24h. if she "lifts" her leaves it a good sign, if not give her 100% moisture by screwing the lid onto the bottle.

the advice to look if the roots are damaged by water logging is a very good one, so if you have a feeling this could be the case rective the problem by, carefully repotting the plant in a much smaller pot than you use now, and to use fresh seedraising mix as potting mix.

maybe the pottingmix you used is very rich, and she suffers now from too much fert.

too much fertilizer can lead to a plant looking like it's wilted and yours does look a bit like this.

plants can get used only to more fertilizer step by step, a little more and a little more,

a drastic increase in nutrient levels from one day to another can and will result in plants that show exactly your symptoms, brown dried up leave tips and dropping leaves.

one cannot treat viridis or in fact most ethno plants in the same fashion like cannabis,

cannabis is tough as boots, but viridis is not.

Thanks guy's all good advise I'm sure and she now has a bottle over her with lid off and I will go from there. She was on my veranda facing north and our winds come in from the east so she would have been copping it a bit there. I will let you know how she progresses.

Much Thanks

Hutch :wink:

That pot looks really big for that plant, P. viridis don't grow very rapidly until they're a foot or two tall. Too much soil, particularly moist, can lead to root rot.

I've never had problems with established P. alba or viridis, or carth. for that matter, having the soil dry out ... often in the winter months when I bring them inside I only water once the leaves start drooping due to the lack of water.

Not much change to report. I have brought her in doors and put the top on the bottle. I really don't think the roots are too wet but if there is no improvement in the next few days I will re pot.

Thanks again....

Although I'm no expert by any means, your plant sure looks like a P alba instead of a Pv.

But what would I know?

Although I'm no expert by any means, your plant sure looks like a P alba instead of a Pv.

But what would I know?

I would hope not as I purchased it from a very respectable supplier (SAB).....

If there's still been no improvement then you really really should repot in a much smaller pot. If the roots are fully drying out between waterings then it must be pretty hot there, and if it's that hot then surely the heat would have killed her by now. You must be quick! I wish i had listened to planthelpers advice and repotted in a smaller pot....

If there's still been no improvement then you really really should repot in a much smaller pot. If the roots are fully drying out between waterings then it must be pretty hot there, and if it's that hot then surely the heat would have killed her by now. You must be quick! I wish i had listened to planthelpers advice and repotted in a smaller pot....

Not any better this morning but not any worse either. In the small pot she will go. Worries me but as I hate disturbing her little legs.....

Thanks again for the advise..

Just an update on my little baby, she has developed a new leaf so I think she will survive. Thanks to those who helped. :P

post-4370-1245451280_thumb.jpg

A tip...mist the hell out that plant 2 times a day...they love moisture on the leaves....in the amazon it rains a lot and they are subjected to heavy storms almost daily ....so get a water spray bottle and mist it heavily everyday...mist the leaves and stems etc...trust me they just love water.

H.

A tip...mist the hell out that plant 2 times a day...they love moisture on the leaves....in the amazon it rains a lot and they are subjected to heavy storms almost daily ....so get a water spray bottle and mist it heavily everyday...mist the leaves and stems etc...trust me they just love water.

H.

Thanks Hunab Ku, she showers twice daily. Cleaner than me LOL....

Cheers

Hutch