The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
arnold500

peyote names

Question

Hi all

I would like to introduce my self and as usual ask a question.

I am new to this forum and pretty new to cactus growing.

I have a number of columnar cactus (mainly Tricho's) but am looking to develop the button side.

I have been offered a number of buttons from a collector and am unsure if they are true peyotes.

So could anyone help.

They are named

anhalonium lewenii v koehresii

anhalonium lewenii v texensis

anhalonium lewenii v ziegler

I am loathed to ask him as he could be a good source and i wouldn't want to give the wrong impression.

Thanks

A500

5 answers to this question

Hmm... the guy is using very outdated names... I'm not sure if that is on purpose or not.

Where do you live? U.S.? or Oz?

Anhalonium lewenii v texensis = Lophophora williamsii var. texana- this is the one you want if your looking to trip one day!

Thanks Teotz

I live in the UK.

Antiquated names seem quite common between collectors.

So is anhalonium lewenii v koehresii the L Diffusa by a different name?

To be honest I find the naming of cactus very difficult to master, there seems no rhyme nor reason.

A500

Edited by arnold500

O well then the whole Lophophora genus is legal and you can buy whichever one you want!

Go for Lophophora williamsii if your trying to trip!

So is anhalonium lewenii v koehresii the L Diffusa by a different name?

That would be Lophophora koehresii which is considered (by some) to be a type of L. diffusa, basically worthless as an entheogen.

To be honest I find the naming of cactus very difficult to master, there seems no rhyme nor reason.

I prefer to call it a bum-fucking orgy of a mess! :lol:

Edited by Teotz'

First of all, welcome :) Check out this thread for a great starters overview of the Lophophorae.

anhalonium lewenii v koehresii = Lophophora koehresii

anhalonium lewenii v texensis = Lophophora williamsii var. texensis (original material should be from southern Texas if name is genuine)

anhalonium lewenii v ziegler = the zieglerii variant has been mentioned a few times online (maybe hit the search engine), but probably a williamsii variety (possibly based on collector name or location).

I wouldn't hesitate to ask the person you got them from about their history. There could be a great story, and if not, no harm in asking. As Teotz mentioned, those names are very out of date, but some older collectors tend to use outdated names and others may use them to make sales when Lophophora sales are prohibited. Anhalonium lewenii is generally considered L. williamsii these days.