The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hebrew

restless leg syndrome

while you're waiting to find a decent doc though, you could still find anyone to do the blood tests.

Yea, I almost forgot. The doc will probably want to do a blood test first to see if you have an iron deficiency, which can be the cause of RLS. If your iron is low then simply taking iron supplements may help. You could always take an iron supplement without seeing the doctor and see if things improve.

I'm not big on supplements myself, they've never made a noticeable difference in my life.

no, you shouldn't be taking iron supplements without knowing your iron levels.

managing RLS is largely believed to be achieved by regulating dopamine and I also hear Mg sups do work well in some cases...

IndigoSun does know a great deal more than I

This is very interesting! As I'd said in the Rivea Corymbosa thread I'd noticed that hbwr seeds stopped dead the minute tremors in my hands and another poster had noticed this too (though I forget who it was).

Just yesterday I finally remembered to tell my GP about uncontrollable leg twitching about once per fortnight but usually around a few nights. She didn't really ask me too much about other things but wrote me a script for Repreve (ropirinol hcl/Requip) which I'd never heard of. On getting home (without the med because the chemist has to order it in and I'll be picking it up today) I went online and found out it's a dopamine agonist. Not only that, I also found out that ergot-derived medicines have been a very useful tool in combating RLS and Parkinsons! OBviously nothing new to a lot of you here but the connection was stunning to me. I somehow think it's not going to be easy to relay the HBWR information to my GP... Apparently ergot-derived meds have come under some flak lately about some potential problems but my cynicism in pharma companies makes me wonder if they don't have some sort of agenda against using drugs that can relatively easily be obtained from nature (and bypassing their coffers). However i've only just begun to read up on all this so I'm not going to judge just yet.

As an aside, not even a higher than normal dose of codeine will be enough to stop the shakes sufficiently to sleep. I can't remember if MJ makes it better or worse.

Does anybody have any other additional information on these drugs that or this syndrome that might not be easily found?

i meant to describe the development of my rls over time

a couple medium events when about 12 ......then nothing til about 25.....then it started once a month,once a week,increasing to every night by early 30's.

t s t .