The Corroboree
kindness

A loph to Trich graft

Hey,

The loph in question is a graft about a year old now. Has been going great - mostly. Apart from being munched on by possums over summer and not really liking being outside all that much! I have now returned it too it's winter home where it has really put on some growth in the last month. So much that the top two buttons have split!

post-3725-1242786322_thumb.jpg

post-3725-1242786428_thumb.jpg

I'm not too worried about this as this plant seems to heal fairly quickly. The aforementioned possum attack happened to the largest button, which has now healed over completely, if even making it grow faster.....

post-3725-1242786557_thumb.jpg

Overall I'm stoked as this was my first loph to trich graft... the original loph was about 2cm big! The wonders of grafting.

post-3725-1242786821_thumb.jpg

post-3725-1242786938_thumb.jpg

post-3725-1242787011_thumb.jpg

post-3725-1242787097_thumb.jpg

Hey,

The loph in question is a graft about a year old now. Has been going great - mostly. Apart from being munched on by possums over summer and not really liking being outside all that much! I have now returned it too it's winter home where it has really put on some growth in the last month. So much that the top two buttons have split!

post-3725-1242786428_thumb.jpg?

I'm not too worried about this as this plant seems to heal fairly quickly. The aforementioned possum attack happened to the largest button, which has now healed over completely, if even making it grow faster.....

Overall I'm stoked as this was my first loph to trich graft... the original loph was about 2cm big! The wonders of grafting.

How long did it take for it to grow that big?

It's been about a year so far. Welcome to the forums to btw :)

peace

less water should help splitting........

dust the area where it split w/ sulfur to keep infaction/fungus at bay

thanks for the suggestions.

I think you are right about the less water idea there dg - change of environment, i.e. outdoors to indoors and a big water was what preceeded the splitting. Having said that, since last week, or near enough to it, the gorgeous mumma has thrown out another 6 pups that I can see and looks like birthing a few more over the next little while... so I'm not complaining! In the photos above the arioles(sp?) that look kinda like an open flower are where the pups have emerged. I'm totally enjoying watching the growth hey!! woo :)

Will look into the sulfur idea also... In your experience Daylight does sulfur have any negative impacts on the plant?

cheers

Okay,

So I've got the sulphur now - It's called 'wettable sulphur' and says it should be mixed, (with water) at various rates for different things... doesn't say anything about 'dusting' it does mention that it's not a top idea to inhale the dust or to, "eat, drink or smoke - before washing hands and arms"

Can I get a bit of help here from someone more in the know than me.

thanks

Edited by meanies

bump

I think grafting Lophophora to Trichocereus is a great idea!

Should be fine meanies, wettable just means that it has a surfactant added to aid dissolution. Whereas "dusting" sulfur is often mixed with talc or fine clay dust to make it, well... dusty. Or rather more dusty than it already may be. Apart from that they're both elemental sulfur, so both work the same. Its just that the wettable sulfur may wash off easier in the rain, or be harder to dust on because it is often not as fine as dusting sulfur. So you may need to reapply if it washes off, though not likely as the tissue will heal quick enough.

nice graft btw. very nice.

Yeah, no need to worry. I've had a very happy-yote that has split in a few places from time to time. I just make sure that I keep it dry for a week or 2 until the surface is a bit calloused and it seems to pull through. I try to make sure that I don't over-water otherwise it tends to look a little chubby.

Not the clearest photo but you can see a split that opened on the left most head and another little one on the big mumma on top.

post-853-1244534209_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that. Mine seems to be going okay, I made up the spray and have applied it twice now.. it did seem to progress a bit and has a slightly orange ccolour to it... I am holding off watering at the moment and will wait for it to callous up a bit. I'm feeling like it will be okay, the rest of the plant is doing so well.. totally pumping out new pups atm, it's mainly one head on it that's suffering.

Nice cactus too Ymir: How long did yours take to flower? The original loph was probably 2 years old that I grafted and it hasn't flowered yet?

peace

The original graft is about 4 years old I think, with the 2 other grafts happening last year and the year before that (2008, 2007). It had flowered once or twice in it's first 3 years of growth but all of last year it flowered and fruited continuously, summer and winter. I don't know if it's made the difference but I'd always been extremely cautious when it came to having it in full sun. I'd been told that our Mexican friends burn terribly if not given any shade, but I took a chance and placed it in progressively sunnier and sunnier spots last year. It seemed to acclimatize well, no burning, and just started to flower like mad. I like to think that she had a bit of a back-log that needed to express itself :)

Has anyone else had that experience? Are they more tolerant to full sun then I had been led to believe?

Edited by Ymir

Okay,

So I've got the sulphur now - It's called 'wettable sulphur' and says it should be mixed, (with water) at various rates for different things... doesn't say anything about 'dusting' it does mention that it's not a top idea to inhale the dust or to, "eat, drink or smoke - before washing hands and arms"

Can I get a bit of help here from someone more in the know than me.

thanks

wetable, which should work fine as fungicide, but you want to keep splits dry.

so dust on sulphur may be better if you need a fungicide at all?? is it really humid there?

if not fungicides are not needed ime

To dg:

It's humid inside a cupboard with a fluoro light :) I ended up spraying on some of the sulphur after mixing with water. As the cactus in question is in such a warm spot the water dried very quickly and the sulphur seems at this point to be helping.

To Ymir:

How many fruits do you have on that mumma? Man, thats awesome dude!

Thanks! That photo was taken in February, and it fruited up until the beginning of winter. After I went through all the fuzz and picked out all the dried and fresh fruit I ended up with maybe 100 seeds. Each berry has maybe...3 or so seeds in so I guess about 30 berries all in all. I ended up collecting all the fruit and having a bit of a nibble. Quite tasty, surprisingly sweet and very sticky!

What I'd love to eventually do, if my stock pups again that is, is source a graft with a different flower colour or at least introduce some genetic diversity into the family and collect the seeds from that.

To dg:

It's humid inside a cupboard with a fluoro light :) I ended up spraying on some of the sulphur after mixing with water. As the cactus in question is in such a warm spot the water dried very quickly and the sulphur seems at this point to be helping.

glad your cactus is doing well!

cheers

Just thought I would bump this old topic - in case anyone else out there experiences the graft splitting thing.

The cactus in question eventually started to really rot. The main head went all mushy and orange inside :( so I removed the whole graft and the rot had made it all the way through to the trich. Bummer. So anyhow, I then separated the heads and let them dry out, (callous) for a bit and then placed them on some coco coir. This was some months ago now and they are finally starting to throw some roots.

I lost another two of the heads to the dreaded rot though after the de-graft. The rest seem unaffected and I'm sure will pull through.

So I learnt a bit about grafting :)

Thanks for the various advice in this thread all

peace

Great thread yeahh. Very inspiring!

I have a loph that is doing the same. so glad I found this thread.

It has 3 large splits, with on of them healing up nicely. as they look quite healthy I dont think I will touch them apart from leaving them inside.

It has already spat out a small 1cm pup

fingers crossed it spits out a few more

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

Hope they heal up well for you mate. I think in my case if I had pulled the whole lot off and apart earlier in the piece I might have saved the two pups that I lost. It's all a bit of a learning curve really. I was stoked enough that the graft actually took in the first place! I thought grafting was firmly out of reach for someone of my skill level but I have happily found that it isn't :)

peace

sideways,

you might want to scallop cut the tips of the stocks for future grafts

besides removing the top aereols to prvent tip pupping, its easier for the graft to grow over the tip as it gets big in the future

yeah, the other loph graft I have has a 2 small trich pups pushing out.

is likely to cause some dramas later on.

unfortunately these are grafts I have purchased, but I spose time will tell how they fair

use a sharp knife - like a craft knife or something and chop the echinopsis pups off.

use a sharp knife - like a craft knife or something and chop the echinopsis pups off.

agreed, get them while they are young and soft

you can also remove the top growth sites, so more pups dont grow next week