The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kindness

Wanted: White Sage

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone out there has any white sage plants they are willing to part with, I would prefer to trade something if possible.

Thanks

m

Have a look at your local nursery, mine has a fair few sage varieties last time i checked

Nah, none of the ones round here would have it. Last time I bought some was online. Just wondering if anyone in the community here has any.

A beautiful plant to grow, and it only takes a few leaves to use as incense/smudge.

Anyhow. Ta for suggestion though.

m

I can send you a cutting if you like, or I can get it started here and send it to you later?

I got mine from here Mudbrick cottage but they don't seem to have any listed on their site, ( I went there and looked around the nursery )

You could also try Shipards She usually has heaps more than what's on the site.

a few members have got apiana, so i guess you have to be patient till you hear of them...

apiana is one of my favorite plants, but it's not an easy cutting and growing them from seed is not without problems either.

the seeds are erratic specialy if the seed is not very fresh, you are best to sow them out and place the pot in a very shelterd aspect, the sort of which needs hardly needs any checking, and than be patient.

cuttings (5cm and a bit longer) are best taken from short branches located as close to the bottom of the plant as possible.

I have white and balck sage cutting I got off a friend. When they root and branch out I can help but not for a little while. Are they just like most sages and root in water fairly easy?

sacred succulents used to have 1000's of seed really cheap.

worth a look.

i will be buying a heap toward the end of winter if ur still looking then.

Hey Salem,

It would be great if you could strike a cutting for me :) I used to have a few plants but they all eventually died after being scratched out of the ground by chooks and various other disasters. I never had much luck striking cuttings from the plants I had though.. Planthelpers advice might be the go. I'm trying not to spend too many $ at the moment on plants having just invested in the great Ebay cactus buy, so if you can help out without cost that would be great.

Apiana is also one of my favourite plants PH. The last lot I had never flowered though, have any of yours PH?

peace

edit: $5 a plant is really good value! Thanks for the link Salem.

Edited by meanies

Hey Salem,

It would be great if you could strike a cutting for me :) I used to have a few plants but they all eventually died after being scratched out of the ground by chooks and various other disasters. I never had much luck striking cuttings from the plants I had though.. Planthelpers advice might be the go. I'm trying not to spend too many $ at the moment on plants having just invested in the great Ebay cactus buy, so if you can help out without cost that would be great.

Apiana is also one of my favourite plants PH. The last lot I had never flowered though, have any of yours PH?

peace

edit: $5 a plant is really good value! Thanks for the link Salem.

No problem mate, I haven't tried to take cuttings from it before, but I've followed PH's advice with the addition of some rooting hormone.

They still look good today, but I'll keep you updated as to how they are going.

I've only had mine since june last year, no flowers yet.

I always just bought white sage smudge sticks but when the price jumped up to $15 for a small one I figured it was time find a plant.

Have always grown my own lavender for smudge sticks though, guess cause plants are so easy to get, and all the varieties :wub:

Hows them cuttings coming along bro? Still after some white sage. Kinda miss it being around my garden.

thanks for the info :)

Just found this information about apiana which is interesting and may explain the low germination rates.... Sounds like they are a little similar to some of our natives in that they need smoke or a low intensity fire to help with germination..

link: http://www.fs.fed.us/global/iitf/pdf/shrub...ia%20apiana.pdf

I just put the seeds between a few sheets of moist paper towel in a zip lock bag and left it on top of my lizard tank for a few days and most of them had sprouted.

thanks again for the seeds salem, (if you are still around). My plants are about a foot high now, all germinated using your method described above. I think next time however I will just use moist kitchen towel in a take away container with lid... it was a pain in the arse getting the seeds out of the zip lock bag without tearing the wet paper :/

I got some more apiana seeds from ebay that I will be sowing out in late winter/spring - such a beautiful plant, I'm totally drawn to it.

peace

I got seed this plant love melb

thanks again for the seeds salem, (if you are still around). My plants are about a foot high now, all germinated using your method described above. I think next time however I will just use moist kitchen towel in a take away container with lid... it was a pain in the arse getting the seeds out of the zip lock bag without tearing the wet paper :/

I got some more apiana seeds from ebay that I will be sowing out in late winter/spring - such a beautiful plant, I'm totally drawn to it.

peace

Yeah man, still around, just in lurk mode.

Glad you were successfull, as yeah it's a beautiful plant, one of my favs.

Good to grow as the cost of buying dried herb has gone up dramatically over the last few years....usefull too.

Yeah, I think I might have bought my first plants years ago because smudge was so expensive... I also looked into where it came from and how the plant is over harvested in california because of it's popularity as smudge.

I will get around to posting some pics up when I bother to charge my camera, (I'm in full assignment mode atm so everything else is gonna have to wait).

peace