The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Damon463

Betel Nut Powder??

I recently purchased some of this powder, but have had no success using it. Can anyone out there give me advice on what best to do with Betel nut powder??

Please help!

Edited by Damon463

PLEASE! Does anyone out there know a good way of taking betel nut powder? And is it even any good as a recreational drug????

ANYONE :lol:

I suppose the only thing you could do with it now is stir it into a liquid and drink it , not sure about dosage but, so do some research first.They are usually consumed by chewing them . I wouldnt think it would be a particular nice experience though.

P.S they are also a proven carcinogen.

No, no, no !!!! Mr B.caapi my friend, please do not repeat media hyped statements with no basis in fact. Betel nut is NOT carcinogenic. Chewing betel quids however often is. The only places where this statistic holds up well are those where tobacco is mixed into the betel quid, indicating that tobacco or the combination with tobacco is the problem. There is also a theoretical possibility that the safrole in betel pepper leaves might contribute, but this is not backed up by statistics or direct evidence - quite the contrary. Even the lime has been implicated, but at no point has there been any evidence that raw betel nut has any such consequences.

Damon, betel has to be absorbed in the mouth. Swallowing it or washing it down in a drink will kill the effect. Making the powder alkaline is also important to get a good hit as the freebase is more readily absorbed in the mouth. Normally this is done with lime powder or lime paste, but you can also use bicarb. All the actives are usually leached after a few minutes and the crap can be spat out again.

It's a strong very short stimulant - much like taking a drag on a ciggie. If you are not used to betel chewing all you might notice is a hot head and then it fades away again. Once you get the hang of it it is a rather good drug - which kinda explains why so many millions of people still use it. Tobacco is slowly taking it's place though.

So Damon, it looks like your answer is mix in a little base and stick it in your mouth. No need to swallow unless you have intestinal worms. Might be better to add organic material so its not just powder.. like if you have leaves from mint, peppermint, betel, etc. make sort of a quid.

Torsten, I've heard that hypothesis about it being the hydrated lime that helps increase cancer rates too and it makes sense since its a relatively strong base. The shop down the road here sells betel nut with jars of limestone paste instead of hydrated lime. Is that done there, and do you know what the effectiveness is compared to hydrated lime? Its more basic than bicarb (9.4 as opposed to 8.2) and its sorta time release given the low solubility so I figure it would lessen the rush but make it last longer?

I'm plan to try out the limestone paste but have no intention of ever putting hydrated lime in my mouth :P

I have mixed the powder, 1/2 tsp with 1 tsp guarana + 1tsp Kolanut powder to make a hot drink with milk and honey. While not the correct way to consume I swear the Betel powder adds extra stimulation to the Guarana and Kola combo. Placebo perhaps?

No, no, no !!!! Mr B.caapi my friend, please do not repeat media hyped statements with no basis in fact. Betel nut is NOT carcinogenic. Chewing betel quids however often is. The only places where this statistic holds up well are those where tobacco is mixed into the betel quid, indicating that tobacco or the combination with tobacco is the problem. There is also a theoretical possibility that the safrole in betel pepper leaves might contribute, but this is not backed up by statistics or direct evidence - quite the contrary. Even the lime has been implicated, but at no point has there been any evidence that raw betel nut has any such consequences.

Damon, betel has to be absorbed in the mouth. Swallowing it or washing it down in a drink will kill the effect. Making the powder alkaline is also important to get a good hit as the freebase is more readily absorbed in the mouth. Normally this is done with lime powder or lime paste, but you can also use bicarb. All the actives are usually leached after a few minutes and the crap can be spat out again.

It's a strong very short stimulant - much like taking a drag on a ciggie. If you are not used to betel chewing all you might notice is a hot head and then it fades away again. Once you get the hang of it it is a rather good drug - which kinda explains why so many millions of people still use it. Tobacco is slowly taking it's place though.

Ahhh i see, hehe, i never did get into betel nuts. :blush:

I have mixed the powder, 1/2 tsp with 1 tsp guarana + 1tsp Kolanut powder to make a hot drink with milk and honey. While not the correct way to consume I swear the Betel powder adds extra stimulation to the Guarana and Kola combo. Placebo perhaps?

Not placebo, but also not the most effective method.

When I was still fairly new to betel nut I was offered a fresh nut on a really hot day. It wouldn't have been polite to only eat a quarter of it which would have been my limit in those conditions [betel can really flush me]. So I ate the whole thing, but swallowed it quickly hoping it would not absorb too much. It still worked pretty good and I thought my head was going to explode.

Powder will never be as strong as fresh, but you should still get some effect if swallowed.

Torsten, I've heard that hypothesis about it being the hydrated lime that helps increase cancer rates too and it makes sense since its a relatively strong base.

While I keep an open mind about other contributing factors, I am fairly sure that it is pretty much only the tobacco that is to blame. In some areas where tobacco is not used in the quid, the cancer rates are negligible. But more importantly, the cancer rates of tobacco betel quids are about the same as for cultures that chew only tobacco.

The shop down the road here sells betel nut with jars of limestone paste instead of hydrated lime. Is that done there, and do you know what the effectiveness is compared to hydrated lime? Its more basic than bicarb (9.4 as opposed to 8.2) and its sorta time release given the low solubility so I figure it would lessen the rush but make it last longer?

Lime is really difficult to dose and I prefer to use limestone. It is definitely not as effective, but that's a price I don't mind paying for not having blisters.

menthol can dramatically improve buccal absorption and I wonder if the myriad of peppermint flavoured calcium carbonate tummy tabs can be used for freebasing purposes with a bit of added punch.