The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

New born seedling

I have sown some stuff and didn't label, most of them being plants I have germinated again in the past. This is the first time I see this. Could it be the Ephedra??

DSCN4235.jpg

Edited by mutant

yes, looks like it is ephedra!

don't overwater them. which species is it?

it got very long embryonic leaves, very nice!! :wub:

Edited by planthelper

That looks exactly like my ephedra geriardiana(?) seedlings after they popped so i got excited and gave them a bit of water, rotten as fuck by the end of the next day haha so yeah i guess they dont need water

E.viridis it is... Should I bring out to natural sun [semi shade or something?]? They are in the grow room, and it's getting really warm outside anyways...

yes, it's got very long embryonic leaves, indeed...

yes, move them into the open, semi shade, as you said.

a while ago, i tried to germinate some ephedra distachya seeds, using warm, bottom heat conditions and i failed. than i thought for my next attempt i plant them out outdoors and around the end of winter. to my total surprise some of them germed already, they did not even wait till it got much warmer! :P

ephedras are soo faszinating, and every continent and part of this earth seems to have it's own local version of it, i guess it must be a living fossil and a very successfull one aswell.

ephedra's seem to me one of those plants which hates over and underwatering, allthough mature specimens are quite drought hardy. most ephedras originate from arid or semi arid locations.

Chiltern Seeds have Sinica,they germinate well in a propagator.

Chiltern Seeds have Sinica,they germinate well in a propagator.

I had one senisis seed come up out of 30 seeds the little bugger took about two months to germinate but he's a hardy little bastard I thought a myriad of times I would check on him and find him rotted but no little bugger keeps on growing rain or shine he's outside quite exposed as I threw the potting mix he was in into a massive pot that isn't that easy to move ( prior to him germinating ). He's about a month old now not sure whether i should just leave him as he seems to be doing fine or repot him and move somewhere alittle more pleasant I'm a little corcerned if i disturb him he might go into shock or even worse

neoshaman if you already repotted it, instinct says leave it there... which brings to my question, what kind of pot would be sufficient for the seedling, say, for 3-4 months?? mine is in a quite capacious small pot.

planthelper, your advice is greatly appreciated, as always man. Another seed pot has its first germinated. It must be the acacia maidenis, I think ... Would it be a good idea to follow the same thing for acacia, plants [trees] from arid climates as well? [that is wait a few days in the fluoro room, then semi-shade outside?].

And, since I have mostly dealt with the cacti thing this last year, and my only mass sowing of green plants was 2 years ago, is it more or less the same proceedure for every plant in it's first month or so? [i know i sound like a total idiot/newbie, but it would be great if you re-assured my insecurity :) - i did raise quote a few plants from seed last year, but it was my first year into horticulture of any kind, hence the insecurities]