The Corroboree
Sonny Jim

Cubensis mushrooms found in outer western Sydney

Hi all!

I am a long time lurker and this is my first post.

Firstly, I would like to thank the members of this forum for the outstanding information I have gotten from this website over the years. I am truly grateful!

For the past six or so years I have enjoyed investigating the fungi that can be found in a certain cow paddock, about 30km west of Windsor NSW. I often get a strong urge to explore this spot during the summer months after rain has fallen for a few consecutive days. I often find many different types of mushrooms in this spot including large quantities of mushroom which would probably be identified as P. / C. cyanescens. These seem to be common to this area. Over the past few years I have noticed that on the days when this cow paddock has many hundreds or thousands of the previously mentioned mushrooms I will inevitably find a small amount (less than ten) of P. cubensis mushrooms. Unfortunately I have never taken any photos of the mushroom I have found in this spot but I am quite certain that they are what I say they are.

I had always thought that P. cubensis mushrooms could only be found much further north in NSW.

I was wondering whether any other wild mushroom enthusiasts had found cubensis mushrooms this far south in NSW?

Sonny Jim

P. cubensis are less fussy about growing conditions than Pan. cyans. i would say it is much more likely that the mushrooms you think are cyans are another species of Panaeolus. Photos and spore colour could have this confirmed for you. as for cubensis id say its possible although id wait for someone with more experience in the area

I think its certainly possible Jim! but i've never looked out there so i don't know.. i do know you get Pan cyans just north of Sydney so no reason why you couldn't get them both past Windsor either. Next time take some pics!

Thanks for the replies.

I did not realise that is was possible to find cubensis as far south as sydney. I thought it was too cold. I have found the mushrooms that I thought were pan cyans in a few areas around sydney before but I have never found cubensis. I was thinking that it may have something to do with the paddock I find cubensis being in a very narrow, misty valley. Maybe heat and moisture hang around this paddock longer than most of the other cow paddocks I check in sydney metro and surrounds.

i thought it was too cold as well sonny, but that doesn't mean its impossible, especially if you found good little microclimates like you say you have.. good luck!

As mentioned, micro-climate is the key and of course the presence of spores in the area! Some places I have spotted are perfect but barren of fungal life thanks to super phosphates killing off multiple generations.

Spotted as far south as Wollongong area, personally.

What about inner western Sydney?

Any subbs or cubies to be found around there?