The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Establishing a Palo Santo Farm

Long story short.

My friends have sum land in Brazil that they want to plant sumthing on to help bring an income to support the family. My mate is from Oz and married a lovely girl from Brazil. They switch and swap between brazil and australia every few years as they both have dual citizenship.

They asked me too recommend sumthing to farm, that would preferably be sustainable and good for the land. (ie, not ruin it by intensive farming) They wished to just plant sumthing and be able to let it grow and harvest fruit or product, etc when ready. We thought about it and fruit is cheap as and spoils, needs to be sold quickly and would make little money. But I remembered that Palo Santo tree recently CITES listed from memory and export of said woods is not permitted anymore. :(

So we figure if the Palo is farmed and not wild harvested that this may appese CITES exportation/importation requirements and they could be the Australian distributers of the product. At the moment, I am not sure if there is aany Palo farms, so maybe the worlds first legal supply of palo wood under CITES. Is is quite a light wood, so that suggests quick growth. Also, part harvesting of the tree's may be possible so entire tree is not destroyed and the environment remains intact as a Pseudonature reserve of sorts. Interspersed with plenty of aya and chacruna

Any advise on legalities of the farm, and how to propagate the original stock needed to establish the plantation would be most welcome. Do u think this would meet CITES requirments for Exportation/Importation? Any other info u feel relevant would be most welcome.

Hi Naja! I always wanted to buy me a farm where i can grow my cacti! When i´m a little bit older, i plan to spend the rest of my life like that! So I hope everything works out for you! Brazil is a difficult country but with a little bit luck, you might have a chance! bye Eg

Bump*

ANy1 know how to grow palo santo?

There was a link from discussion here (maybe?) regarding palo santo industry in sth america, or at least it gave some vague info on one company's work with it.

From memory the best wood comes from dead aged trees, so that might make a sustainable living harvest difficult.

I think it came up when people were discussing bulk imports of it?? if i find the link will let you know.

I think the best option would be to get in touch with the sth american companies doing it.

ANy1 know how to grow palo santo?

I have tried to get seed before and was told

We generally propagate by rooted cuttings for the obvious reason that the cuttings grow into lovely plants and seeds are hard to come by!

Every little bit helps, so hope this does.

Edited by salem13

It shouldn't be hard to grow in a dry climate with well-draining soil.