The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Ochrosia and Neisosperma

I came across information on these plants whilst looking for something else.

Ochrosia poweri syn Neisosperma poweri - Stem bark contains isoreserpiline, elliptamine, ochropamine (C22H26O3N2), ochropine (C23H28O4N2), and powerchrine (C22H26O3N2). Ochropamine and ochropine are 2-acylindole derivatives closely related to the alkaloid vobasine. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/CH9640246.htm The bark has also been reported to contain powerine - methyl 10,17-dihydroxy-(16beta,17beta,20alpha)-yohimban-16-carboxylate], C21H26N2O4. CH3 OH and reserpine. This plant is found in QLD and northern NSW http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/...sosperma~poweri Total alkaloid yield from 6kg of dried leaves and twigs was about 50 g apparently.

Powerine: gallery_25_6_2390.jpg

Ochrosia moorei Contains a long list of interesting alkaloids (most of which mean nothing to me), but some of them have been investigated for their anti-inflammatory effects. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/np070655e

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Yeti101

have one ochrosia elliptica i grew from seed about 4 years old now.only a couple feet high.

i was concerned about the reserpine induced depression in this family of plants after a bad experience but it seems this is reversed by some plant maoi's?

have some leaf lying around........

http://asgap.org.au/o-ell.html

t s t .

i was concerned about the reserpine induced depression in this family of plants after a bad experience but it seems this is reversed by some plant maoi's?

That would make sense as the MAOI would protect the monoamine neurotransmitters in the synapses from reserpine induced depletion (I guess). However, I'd be very cautions about mixing a MAOI with anything yohimbine like (such as powerine) as I've heard that yohimbe + MAOI is a bad combination.

i realised when reveiwing literature after some testing of apocynacea plants that i had apparently injested plants containing reserpine and yohimbie type compounds with maoi.

prob only low doses,mao a and b inhibitors,short acting reversible only.....had not intended to do that,was avoiding it actually.....oh well food for thought.

yeild might be higher but different with fresh plant material.

anyone have tips for germinating seed?i forget what i did and have recieved fresh seeds.....

are the fruit edible?

the effect from these sort of plants is very nice,it would be good to be comfortable using them again......a sort of bright feelgood stimulation at low doses......used to smoke them,alstonia rauwolfia,yohimbie,mixed.

the yellow resin looking stuff on some heatwave damaged ochrosia elliptica leaves looks very interesting!

t s t .

Edited by t st tantra

the last paper in the first post used bioassay to guide their results.......yay,credibility!!!

t s t .

The apocynaceae fascinate me and I have both of these species in my collection as a direct result of the comments in the CSIRO alkaloid book. However, in all these years I have not tried them yet.

Ochrosia elliptica comes as two distinct coloured fruit forms. Red and yellow. we sometimes offer the red form as plants in the shop.

put in soil :wink:

I didn't know there was a problem. I'd presume they need to be fresh though. we germinate ours straight from the tree.

got fresh fruit.....they look intimidating to germinate,unusual,woody and i dont quite get what will happen....bought some about 6 years ago by mail order and ended up with one plant ,just cant remember anything about it now......i like to soak til i get a shoot then plant,with most plants......

t s t .

With Ochrosia moorei you need to pry the woody coating open to gain access to the four?? seeds contained within. It is a pretty difficult job. With fresh seed (not easy to come by given it is a very rare and endangered plant) germination success is good.

thanx,pried one apart with knife etc.pre soaking had caused a small split.was certain i must have damaged something but no.one seed was loose,seemed to be more in there. flat seeds between membranes ,reminds me of thevetia pods.

i got enough effect from defleshing the fruit to remind me of the happy upness of this sort of plant......

t s t .