The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Beaker

Little pricks... please help!!

I have two very large (and previously happy) Leonotis leonauris.

I have these little off white bugs all over them at the moment... they have been spinning a sort of spider web all over the stem and bunching the top leaves together.... NOW the plant is losing its vibrant green and the leaves have a white discolouring all over them.. after picking them off without any success, I decided to use a mild poison...

First I tried Folimat.... 7 days later....pricks still there

then Maverick..... 7 days later.....pricks still there and plant looking worse still.

Please help me.... I love these plants and often smoke the leaves (well... not since I've used poison anyway)

i got the same bugs on a tree in my garden.. little white hairy things?

i think the best thing is just to blast em off with garden hose... so i was told

if it looks like frothy spit then hose it off and they'll die.

if it looks more like spiderwebs (really messy ones) then it is possibly a bug that usually attacks teatree. they drop to the ground before you can spot them.

problem with webs is that they protect from sprays. use a bit of soap (or few drops of dishwashing liquid) in your spray. pyrethrum will be fine and will kill anything and everything.

This is also a fast growing plant at this time of year. Maybe just prune the worst areas back and then spreay the rest.

sounds to me aswell like you have to either re-pot, or use some fertilizer.

its often a defieceny of some kind that makes plants suddenly suffer from pests.

dagga is a quite thirsty plant,

it could be water stress foremost.

check your root ball, does it look healthy?

or have ants taken over your pots?

than re-pot with fresh good quality soil.

geeee, i said good potting mix,

not gareden soil,

damm its worth spending money on the good stuff!

i use often "premium seedrising mixture",

and manure pellets/lifter or 5 in 1 compost...

....i bet you just fert and water...

Not sipermites, are they ?

Are they extremely small ?

Spidermite.jpg

SpiderMite_back_3f_small.jpg

Does the webbing over the tops look a little like.... redspw02.jpgspidermite.jpg

Spidermites have developed resistance to most pesticides, mainly due to their prolific breeding and short life cycle. Something like every 2 weeks!

The most effective chemical solution to this problem is Abamectin. Otherwise, a more natural solution, yet much slower, is the use of predator mites. See here for info

If your problem does not relate to mites at all, then simply disregard this message.

a few time ago i was infested (indoor) by really little white things.

i tried a lot of different chemical-killer during months, but each time i was using a new spray my plant became more bad-healthy.(of course i was waiting weeks between spray).

but that never killed all the insect :mad: and my plant was begining to suffer from burning etc...

i was disgusted and to save the other plants of the house i putted the infected one outside. after a night or two, all the insects were died ! :D

so my advice is trust or baby, they are more frost resistant than the bugs.(i don't know if it could be apply to wild dagga but it was a success for my D.inoxia.