The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Cactus hybrids and crosses

Question

I think it would be nice if some of the more knowledgeable cactus heads here could compile a nice list of the mothers and fathers of some of the more commonly known hybrids and crosses.

For example I would love to know the Mother and Father, the approx date of cross and the origins/country or state of....

Psych0 = ? x ?

Eileen =? x ?

Yowie = ? x ?

Mum & Dad = ? X ?....etc etc...there are heaps of others soooo...

Can someone be very helpful and start a list with all the parents and list them accordingly so as other members can access this at will and learn more about how and when these crosses came about.

thank you kindly.

H.

6 answers to this question

I should have read your post a bit slower hunab, i just saw list, mother, father, hybrid and thought you wanted lists of hybrids made lol. I got out the seeds and made a list.....oh well. As for your question, i think you will have about as much luck finding out info like that as you would finding out the origins of pachanoi or PC or pachanot or whatever ppl are calling it this week.

and just for interest.......:P

Seeds and seedlings

J2 x Psycho0

Pach x Psycho0

super pedro x Psycho0

terscheckii x Psycho0

J1 x pach

pach x super pedro

Psycho0 x spachianus

Psycho0 x Yowie

Psycho0 x J2

Whiora x pach

Seeds

pach(black haired flower) x Psycho0

super pedro x J3

Psycho0 x pach

pach x J3

J3 x super pedro

I should have read your post a bit slower hunab, i just saw list, mother, father, hybrid and thought you wanted lists of hybrids made lol. I got out the seeds and made a list.....oh well. As for your question, i think you will have about as much luck finding out info like that as you would finding out the origins of pachanoi or PC or pachanot or whatever ppl are calling it this week.

and just for interest.......:P

Really I thought a lot of these crosses are easily traceable as they are quite modern and only local to OZ..am I wrong in this...?

Remember these named hybrid cacti weren't created by crossing two other cacti and naming all the offspring 'Yowie' (for instance).. the name 'Yowie' or 'Psycho0' or whatever is just the clonal name of one particular plant.

It would seem easy but i have asked about psycho0 and got the answer "its a bridgesii" and as for Yowie, well, that plants owner isnt the type of person that would pay attention to or care about the origins. If the person didnt do the cross themselves and just recieved a cutting then there is no way to tell what is where and when is who.

Even getting detailed answers out of growers that have large OLD collections is a task as without written records memories can fade and information is then lost forever making it impossible to trace origins of certain plants. Besides, im sure there have been plenty of ppl out there growing plants from seed with no care for who came from where, they just did it for the joy of growing a plant from seed and watching it grow.

If there was an organised register and a formal naming scheme you could really do some proper collaborative breeding..

Do the primary crosses of the species have their own hybrid names?

Do the primary crosses of the species have their own hybrid names?

No or at least not yet.