The Corroboree
mac

larger cacti

Question

i was on another job & noticed a house for sale, I got the peoples contact details & they were happy for me to grab some cuttings

like i say it never hurts to ask, so here are a few pics of them, i have not yet tried to find ID,s for the 2 large specimens

first one i did not rotate the first pic to give a idea of the size of the plant ID = Browningia hertlingiana

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

a closer look at the smaller cutting no shortage of spines here i thought it could be peruvianus but being shit at ids i thought i had better get some other opinions

DSCF0022-1.jpg

not the best pic but far back of pic, you can see the size & it had been sectioned for cuts some time ago i may go get the rest of the sections ID = Stenocereus marginatus

DSCF0013.jpg

& a close up of the large cut

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0024-1.jpg

i have some seed from the barrel cacti they are around 40+ years old & a few other smaller cuttings etc.

i am going back to buy a few potted specimens they had left from her deceased fathers estate & may grab some cuttions of others to add to my collection

more pics of other large cacti species from this garden in my photo bucket album http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv228/mac440/

ill also be leaving my contact details just in case the new owners decide to remove or get rid of any of them witch would be very sad to see

Edited by mac

12 answers to this question

Bottom photo, top down -

1.Stenocereus marginatus

2.Browningia hertlingiana

3.Trichocereus spachianus

Great old garden though, those old barrels are worth $$$.

& looks like someone already beat you to the fat old senilis, shame.

The large cut is Stenocereus marginatus.

EDIT: OOps, shouldn't click on reply and then go off and do something else, lol.

Edited by ballzac

3.Trichocereus spachianus

Are you sure that is spachianus? I was given a similar cutting that I was told was spachianus but am skeptical. It is quite different to my other spachianus, and I was under the impression that there wasn't much variation within that particular species. Also, I had seen a very similar looking cactus at collector's corner which I took at the time to be spachianus but then realised it was labelled as something else...something beginning with v or w I have a feeling. Anyway, they also had spachianus, which looked like my ones. I will get pics up if I can.

thanks strangebrew the spachianus is the only one i am confident to id, the smaller cut looks like spach but is slightly hairy & much thinner ? maybe a X breed or another breed very similar i will grab a better pic of said cactus if anyone is interested

i wasn't after active species just More for the collection

The furry little one looked cool so i grabbed some of that as well

when i go back ill take a little more time trying to get some smaller cuttings of the other larger cacti,

my main priority was to get a few cuttings without butchering any large pieces or changing the way they look

Thanks for the help guys saves me going through pages & pages of pics

if i do get some of the center cuts of the Stenocereus marginatus ill put most up for trade if anyone is interested

i also grabbed some seed from a few others like the barrels & this cool looking twisted cacti maybe a Astrophytum ornatum

(Monk's Hood) or something similar ?

DSCF0010-1.jpg

one barrel had a nice big pup but it was already spoken for :( they have been neglected for several years but most are still happily flowering away

i think they had $10 on this old fella i may have tograb it & give it a better home DSCF0016.jpg

Edited by mac

Okay. Here is a pic of what I was talking about.

post-1298-1234925254_thumb.jpg

The one at the back is what I would call spachianus. As you can see, there are differences between that and the one at the front, which I hesitate to call spachianus until I get a more informed opinion. It has larger (thicker and longer) spines (EDIT: Much larger areoles too). The young spines are more of a brown rather than orange, and lose a lot more colour than the spachianus do. That is, the older spines are grey rather than retaining a yellowish orange to them. I wouldn't have hesitated to call this spachianus if it were not for the fact that I have seen one of these, or something similar, labelled as something other than spachianus. Just wish I could remember what the name was. Still CC have been known to label their cacti incorrectly in the past , but it's just that they had spachianus as well. (EDIT: I also remembe looking up the name when I got home and finding pictures that looked like it)

Is the front one in my pic the same as your spachianus Mac?

Oh, also. I can say for sure that it is not to do with maturity, as I have seen whole bushes of spachianus with the delicate spines that the one in the back of my pic has.

PICT0181.JPG

PICT0181.JPG

Edited by ballzac

it looks like spach but spines seem longer than others i have seen i do know there are a few different species with different flower colours ? white & red being most common i think

Edited by mac

DSCF0016.jpg

damn thats one OLD Astrophytum myriostigma!!!

Edited by Paradox

ok i thought it looked like Bishop's Hat but i wasn't sure what it was because of the size, I was gonna snap it up there & then but did not take any cash with me, ill go grab a few on the weekend before they hold another sale.

id hate to know what i missed out on when they held their first sale, most were very old, the daughter said the her dad had been growing & collecting them for well over 40+ years or longer that she could remember

Edited by mac

Nice cuts and pics mate!!! Thanks for sharin, I thought the bluie was a peru at first

BALLZAC - Are you sure that is spachianus?

Fairly sure. There wasn't a great photo but have a look at this close up.

post-608-1234937867_thumb.jpg

I don't see it being the one you pictured. Is that yours btw? Judging by the size of the fruit it's possibly the one pictured this thread. The photo doesn't show it but it is in fact quite a thick plant - 5" maybe.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...ic=8966&hl=

Did it self-seed?

Yeah, you're probably right about that plant being different to mine, and probably spachianus. Mine does look similar to the one in the thread you linked to, but the spines are longer I think. Sharxx would be more qualified to answer any questions about the plant as he is the one who gave it to me. Really vigorous by the way. I potted it up, and left it in the shade. About three days later it fell over and came out of the pot and it already had six inch roots.

mine is a spach for sure as its the only one im confident to ID myself

i didn't include a close shot of the spach because its a fairly common cactus it was the larger ones & the little furry fella i wasn't sure bout

The smaller Echinopsis ???

The spines seem a little short for a Echinopsis huascha red torch ? i guess you will find out when it flowers

If you look at a young Echinopsis chiloensis looks similar to spach ? longer spines a little more like your pic

450px-Echinopsis_chiloensis_5.jpg

Edited by mac