The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
~shameless~

Aurora Australis Phenomena

Just been cruising the web checking out pics and stuff, i'v known about this for a while and i'm sure

others on this site know heaps about it. Any euro mermbers seen the northern counterpart??

I was wondering in real life if it is just as spectacular as the pics??, i believe the closest place to witness

it is Macqurie island,

Since this place is a quarantine zone, (nobody allowed for good reason) has any body in Tasmania seen it in the distance?

Please tell me if you have, love to smoke some shit, drink some cans and witness this most amazing light show.

How cool would that be?

I might have to keep dreaming, any memebers going to antartica soon,

have a good night peeps,

saw it once from inland nsw many years ago when i was a kid, im unsure why we saw it way out here & am sure alot of Australia could see the lights ?

it must have been during the mid 80's

I've seen them in southern Tasmania, and they were not 'in the distance'.

In Tassie aurorae can extend to almost zenith for an active one, although there's not been much solar activity for a few years and so they've been infrequent and not spectacular in recent times. And even when the aurorae are powering, the colours are not as intense as the stereotypical photos - those are taken with extended exposures. The real displays are much more ghostly, like gossamer or mist.

They do flicker and wave and pulse though, and the experience is profound. I reckon that being whacked would not add to the experience - if you don't have your perceptions sharp, you'd miss so much. It's a zen thing, and psychedelics and such are probably not a good synergy except in the most particular of circumstances, and certainly not in 'beginning' ones.

A bit like the futility of doing a hard sudoku after a wee drachm or three of single malt...

Nah, keep your lava lamp handy for the parties, and just take a thick woolen blanket and a thermos of hot soup for Nature's ethereal light show.

I lived on McQuarrie Harbour in Tas for a few years and they were often visible looking Sth (I was about as far Sth as you can go on the West coast).

As WoodDragon said, they're not anywhere near as spectacular in reality as most photos suggest, and could at times remain unnoticed until you actually looked for the phenomena.

Definitely worth seeing, but compared to a decent waterfall, enormous tree, clear mountain night-sky, etc, they aren't much in the breath-taking awe department.

Sorry to be a spoil-sport :wink:

ed

I'm in Southern Tasmania and a big problem here is the pre-dominance of cloud which blocks the view a lot of the time.

While they are there sometimes, you dont get the really good ones very often. 20 odd years ago i saw an amazing one, really bright psychedelic vivid colours that went on for hours. I remember my parents really enjoyed it :wink:

I havent seen one in a couple of years now. my dads calls me now and then to let me one is there, but im not in the best location being close to a town, and cloud is usually a problem.

when i was a kid i lived really far southern Tasmania where there were no lights and we got to see a few good ones there. but yeah, nothing like the polar ones.

cheers, Ob.

Edited by obtuse

Awesome stuff guys , makes a winter trip down to tassie with my boat just that little bit more inviting now!!

should go when solar activity is at its peak. should be in 2012! so wintersolistice in the middle of nowhere in Tassie.... with the aurora australis blasting full..... NICE!

look up the solar spots 11 cycle thingy ,....which means increased activity.......... then you know when to go for yourself........... do not forget the live webcam so yuo can transmit to all of us back here....

go to quiet place to absorb it!

I was working over in Banff Canada for a year and saw the lights heaps over there, some pretty amazing ones to. If your ever going for a holiday OS i highly recomend canada :)

For all those who seem to be wondering...

...yes, my avatar is an aurora, no I didn't take the shot (I wish!), and of course it looks like a dragon!

For all those who seem to be wondering...

...yes, my avatar is an aurora, no I didn't take the shot (I wish!), and of course it looks like a dragon!

B)

Simply Awesome WD, That is one truly amazing pic man, and WOW!! i'm not the only space cadet who finds this phenomena so interesting, thanks for the info guys and gals also thanks fellow members for paying interest.