The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
smogs

Saffron in oz?

Can you grow it in the sydney region? all i know about this plant is that its damn expensive... more expensive than gold per weight and it tastes great.

Will it grow in the sydney region? anyone got any experience growing it? would be nice to add this spice to my herb garden.

i believe the species name is crocus sativus.

it is produced from the krokus flower i think!

isnt it more of a colour than a flavour??

I'd also like to grow my own saffron but read propagation is only by corms, a bulb-like stem. The mother bulb produces several baby corms which can be dug up, seperated and replanted. Curious to know where I can find a fresh saffron corm....

I like to drink a glass of saffron infused water whenever I cook with it, would make an expensive habbit though :rolleyes:

tasmania has a thriving saffron industry, i believe there are some contracted growers in victoria too. i see no reason why the saffron crocus wouldn't grow somewhere about sydney. very fiddly work extracting the filaments as there aren't many per flower.

yes, it will grow well in sydney. I was going to offer them for sale this year, but rodents dug them all up and I am left with less than I had 3 years ago :(

Saffron isn't just a colur, but definitely also a flavour. Not to mention also being psychoactive !

oldfart:

I'd also like to grow my own saffron but read propagation is only by corms, a bulb-like stem. The mother bulb produces several baby corms which can be dug up, seperated and replanted.  Curious to know where I can find a fresh saffron corm....

yeah thats what i read...

you can propgate from seed but takes ahh 2-3years to flower from memory. which i dont think is that bad considering alot of fruit bearing plants tage 5 years... and vanilla takes over 15 i heard.

and yes it is very fiddly and thats why its expensive but i dont really want comercial quantities (although i bought 6 buks worth and it wasnt much!!)

just something to have every now and then.

no ideas where to get some? i might ask nursery tomorrow

psychoactive? thats good means this post is in the right place. i read it was used for medicine? but it didnt specify what exactly for. and yes its a flavour... if u want colour tumeric is cheap and nothing stains yellow better than tumeric. its got a wonderful aroma, are the flowers like this too?

[ 17. November 2003, 21:20: Message edited by: smogs ]

the flavour ov saffron....

get a bag & smell it, to me that's THE smell ov India, where you can pick up 10gms ov the stuff for $1.50.

here its too expensive to buy(vanilla pods are getting bloody expensive too) & too fiddly to grow/collect---your best bet for value & satisfaction--steal it from a supermarket--joking

[ 18. November 2003, 04:36: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

it certainly is the most expensive psychoactive substance, and it seems to have be in high favor by the traders of santorini hundreds of years ago.

the stuff i found in the shops comes from iran,

a warning tho (auxin hasn't been here to help out{let's hope he's father is ok})

saffron is lethal even in small amounts!

planthelper:

a warning tho (auxin hasn't been here to help out{let's hope he's father is ok})

saffron is lethal even in small amounts!

I'm still here almost every day- just havent been posting quite as much. My dads hanging in there, thanks :)

Historically saffron has been used as a poison now and then but I think thats in pretty big doses- its also been used for an array of other things including a narcotic. I dont think its lethal in small amounts. I lost all my notes on this in a computer crash but much of it should be posted to the archives.

i was watching Iron Chef as i always do (excelent tv show) and in one episode the guy used a shitload of saffron to flavour some rice. How much do you need to feel psychoactive effects? he may have been cheating... drugging the judges heh heh.

i highly recomend that tv show... chefs battle in the kitchen stadium

7:30 sat on sbs

well worth a laugh

great to hear @auxin.

that iron chef what a show,

i started acting it out in my kitchen now.

instead of "oh, what a drag i have to cook",

it's: iron master chef (insert your name here)

aproaches the gallery and so on...

i often act like a tv cook at home it's fun,

pretending an audiance!

and i tell you japanese knive and tool blades are made by ancient (samurai sword, laminated hand/cottage work) technics,

making them the best in the world.

wasabi, tamari and raw salmon-

good enough reason just to "be".

yeah and its good when u dont have much food in the fridge

"and todays theme ingredient is.... last nights roast!... oha tricky one for the challenger"

"as i seem to recall when i was in london once a local man said to me... the key to left overs is in the sue of a microwave"

that show is such a hoot

the comentory is so awful

heh heh

The saffron was flowering here in Andalusia up to a week ago. The flower has an intense lily and cocoa butter smell quite different from the prepared stigmas. Here they often take the flowers after removing the stamens and float them in a bowl of water to perfume their rooms. I prepared some saffron for my goddessdaughter and sent it then was too busy hitting almond trees to collect any more. Just a handful of flowers in the room was enough to send me. So I spent some time with my nose buried in them to be sent further.

Have a look in Mrs Grieve's online ( http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html ) for dosage. And buy Spanish for quality as the English don't grow it commercially anymore (no problem in Australia, even far south, I imagine.)

Not sure what the toxic dose is, but it is said to be dangerous in excess. As a medicine it is antidepressant and inebriating, not narcotic except in the drug-political sense.