The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
elfwhisper

Idiospermum australiense?

Common Names: Idiot Fruit, Ribbon Wood

Distribution: Daintree Rainforest

Does anyone have information to share about this tree?

Here's what I got so far.

Wikipedia has a vague comment about medicinal use with no reference. Was 'rediscovered' in 1971 after some cattle deaths which the DPI determined to be caused by the seeds.

I found a bit more information in

Journal of Natural Products Vol. 58, No. 8, pp. 1200-1208, August 1995

in which they mentioned testing on rats however the data was beyond my understanding.

Further searching revealed alkaloids inside aren't responsible for the toxicity -

/*Quote

Occurrence of Cyanogenic Glycosides in Seeds and Seedlings of Idiospermum australiense, a Primitive Rainforest Angiosperm from Tropical Australia */

Poisonous Plants and Related Toxins -T. Acamovic, C.S. Stewart and T.W. Pennycott

The thing is so old I can't help but wonder if at some point humans have leeched the seeds and used them to some effect.

http://www.daintreecoast.com/isiospermum.html - The Story of the Rediscovery of the Idiospermum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiospermum_australiense

http://www.usyd.edu.au/pharmacology/aalab/RefsPDFs/302.pdf - Journal of Natural Products Vol. 58, No. 8, pp. 1200-1208, August 1995

from wikipedia.........

While other modern flowering plants produce seeds which have one cotyledon (monocotyledons) or two (dicotyledons), the seedlings of the Ribbonwood have between three or four cotyledons. Also the Ribbonwood can produce more than one shoot per seed, while the seeds in all other plant species will develop and send up a single shoot.

The plants have adapted a unique poison, a chemical called Idiospermuline contained within the seed, to prevent animals eating them. Researchers discovered the poison affects transmission of messages between individual nerve cells, which may cause seizures. In small doses this chemical can be used to save lives.[citation needed]

t s t .

Wow, and I thought Idiospermum australiense was a subspecies of Homo sapien. Seem to be a lot of those around Newcastle. ;)

well after managing to get a look at a real copy of Poisonous Plants and Related Toxins

this plant spends a lot of energy on defense, the alkaloids are neurotoxic while the sappins and terpenes don't make it any more appealing. It speculates the alkaloids and the Cyanogenic Glycosides might even 'potentiate' each other to make a deadlier combination.

It concludes this may be why this is the oldest flowering plant species, at up to 120 million years old.

Will still see if I can track one down. Seem to be rare and unique plant to add to the collection.

Also the Ribbonwood can produce more than one shoot per seed, while the seeds in all other plant species will develop and send up a single shoot.

Not true. Quite a few tropicals produce multiple meristems. The second is often albino or weak, but nonetheless alive. Mango is a well known example of this.

Not true. Quite a few tropicals produce multiple meristems. The second is often albino or weak, but nonetheless alive. Mango is a well known example of this.

mango (one seed, but multy embryonic), was my first thought aswell, but if this plant has multiple shoot's from a single embryo that would be special.

realy a nice thread, cheers, elfwhisper!

Yep, interesting ancient plant :)

I have three saplings of this ancient plant - it was a wonderous experience hiking across it's remaining range...

I have three saplings of this ancient plant - it was a wonderous experience hiking across it's remaining range...

Fantastic! I will be headed over the river as soon as I have some free time. Did you have help locating it? Is it possible to collect seed?

Does anyone know if it is legal collecting seeds from national park or if a permit is involved? I heard there was an issue with foxtail palm seed collection in the Daintree.

Fantastic! I will be headed over the river as soon as I have some free time. Did you have help locating it? Is it possible to collect seed?

Does anyone know if it is legal collecting seeds from national park or if a permit is involved? I heard there was an issue with foxtail palm seed collection in the Daintree.

It is illegal to collect seeds or any plant material without a permit from within any national park but imo especially the Daintree River National park. The Daintree, like most of the rainforest in fnq has the highest protection level possible: world heritage listing. Fines are big if you get caught, but moreover this is a very rare species with fragile populations so removing samples without good cause is a pretty shit thing to do imo. A small sample for breeding purposes maybe an exception (the ranger wouldn't consider it though!), but if it is merely for the purpose of the psychonaut then with something as rare as Idiospermum, NO!

It is illegal to collect seeds or any plant material without a permit from within any national park but imo especially the Daintree River National park. The Daintree, like most of the rainforest in fnq has the highest protection level possible: world heritage listing. Fines are big if you get caught, but moreover this is a very rare species with fragile populations so removing samples without good cause is a pretty shit thing to do imo. A small sample for breeding purposes maybe an exception (the ranger wouldn't consider it though!), but if it is merely for the purpose of the psychonaut then with something as rare as Idiospermum, NO!

Firstly thank you for clearing up the legality of seed collection in National Parks, it was not my intention break the law hence why I asked. I spoke to a friend about permit availability in the Daintree and apparently they became very tight years ago.

I thought it was clear (~post 4) I came to the conclusion that it is poisonous and more poisonous, not psychoactive. It did come to my attention while crawling around csiro databases for its uncommon alkaloids however my interest remained due to the idea that it is the worlds oldest flowering plant and close to extinction.

I guess yours is a pretty fair comment made out of concern. Indeed it may be shallow of me to want one of these plants, I'd like to think it was for its conservation and its historic nature but deep down it could just be the rarity.

I would be much happier to buy a plant/seed than disturb its ecosystem however I assumed this would be quite a task, perhaps I should have asked about purchasing first?

As a last option how about collection from private land?

Thank you for your help,

The search is over,

I mentioned it at the pub yesterday and someone said they'd be happy to get me a seed through his connections with National Parks. He did say viability could be a problem. Also informed me that musk rats eat the seed after months when the poisons have dissipated and its common name idiot fruit stems from the fact that just about everything that eats it dies.