The Corroboree
trucha

Cacti of Matucana

Question

sorry for posting in this thread I know it is a old thread I just wanted to know who this grizzly guy was... since Julio send me a email stating the parents of the seeds he sells are and he send me that first pic in this thread I was wondering if he just referenced the matucana pics as the species he harvests are the same or whats the deal.... or he himself is grizzly ..... he also send me other pics, which he comes out in, or I think its him

Grizzly is an American tourist who knows Julio and his friends at Matucana.

His images were taken several years ago but it would surprise me if he did not share all of his photos with Julio and gave him permission to use them however he wanted?

Edited by trucha

Thanks that explains alot. Ive seen icaros seedlings that represents both peruvianus and pachanoi. One plant looked heavily pachanoi almost looked like torres and torres but with red spines :) I also have aquired a icaros in which I grafted and its throwing some nice red spines I similar to the first ones in this thread.

It would be nice for someone to do some systematic work on what is on those slopes above Matucana and expand that for all of the canyons coming off the Canyon of the Rio RImac. There is a wide range of variability encompassing pachanoi and peruvianus there. I've given Knize a hard time about what he calls KK242 being a range of morphologies rather than something more narrowly defined but its also real that view of the peruvianus there is rather representational of what actually occurs there once past seeing the lineages that people actually focus on planting. Like Icaros. Its a wild form there but people also move cuttings and fallen pieces around to create new plants and probably have for a long time. Spinier forms appear a lot more common and widespread.

Edited by trucha

trout do u have any More info that I may use, I just got a cacti labeled kk242 with short spines, im inclined to belive its from the ones he send here to the us in 2000, looks a lot like the ones that are labeled f. langa, or genuine loc.....please pm me about this, I was wondering if this was the same one that was tested named Matucana.....