The Corroboree
Re-Grifter

Dwarf Scullcap AKA Scutellaria nana questions

Has anyone ever consumed this plant and if so is it really as powerful as they say?

How would one describe it's effects, if so?

Also can anyone tell me if it contains the same alks as the more common varieties?

Thanks!

i sometimes have a night cup tea blend which includes scullcap and the effects are sedating, and i would recommand it.

i tried smoking scullcap but it his far too harsh. maybe scullcap's action get's potentiated by passiflora incarnata at least thats one of the other herbs in this tea.

i sometimes have a night cup tea blend which includes scullcap and the effects are sedating, and i would recommand it.

i tried smoking scullcap but it his far too harsh. maybe scullcap's action get's potentiated by passiflora incarnata at least thats one of the other herbs in this tea.

Hmmm, are you using Scutellaria nana specifically?....it's (supposedly...) one of the ingredients in the "Spice" (R.I.P) line of products....it's rumoured to be rather effective in a brain-fog inducing kinda way.

I notice SAB has some plants in the shop, 'spose i could just grab one and see how it goes, Vic weather is probably not too far off what it would normally like.

my limited exp verifies whats said.........normal scullcap is a useful sedative and sleep aid as ph says...... the dwarf forms seem more knockout .

t s t .

Knockout as in enjoyable knockout, or knockout as in instant Land Of Nod knockout?....

I

like i said limited exp but small amts had that heavy feeling sedation ending in sleep sometime later though not immediately.......might be what you are asking about.enjoyable,mmm i think but memory of it is hazy.

havnt wanted to try any stronger effect yet.........next time i feel the need to get knocked out maybe i'll remember it.

t s t .

Groovy, thanks.

If i can't aquire any foliage soon i'll try to grow one.

i don't know which type of scutellaria is used in my tea and neither do i know which one i grow as a herb.

in my town the head shop sells spice, but i think i will never try it, anyway i am quite sure spice gets most of it's oompf from a synthetic compound and not of the herbs it's includes.

i said this because you sound a bit like you think the scullcap is capable of a nock out action, which in herbal form is not going to happen. but to extract the scullcap herb and to work with the concentrate would be certainly very interressting and i am planing to do this over the next year or so.

Haha, yeah whatever is in Spice, i doubt it's what they say it is......still, why not try a bag, planthelper?....one won't hurt (i hope)...it's basically pot without the insights and with little euphoria.....it's a great sleep aid and aphrodisiac, i'll give it that (whatever the hell it is)....i've grown entirely sick of it though.

Basically i just want to stay "legal" and "clean" and try all the legal, milder herbs that are available.... :wink:

Edited by Re-Grifter

Heya. Ive just started to work with this plant in the last few years. It is an interesting herb, one that seems to draw one closer and closer when you experiment with and grow it.

Heres a pic of a 2 year old patch, around 4-5 plants making up this group.

gallery_1274_225_146995.jpg

And a close-up

med_gallery_1274_225_65008.jpg

The plant does have its place as a mild relaxant, but is not a contributer to the effects of that famous smoking blend at such low doses(assuming that it is actually in the blend?).

Enjoy the pics!

BD

http://home.teleport.com/~howieb/smoking/smoke6.html

I've tried the nana, lateriflora, and galericulata. The nana definitely beats them. I don't get anything out of smoking scutellaria, unless it is S. nana. The nana can actually be compared to marijuana, whereas the other 2 species I've tried do very little for me. The last time I had some "nana" was some 8-9 years ago. It's very hard to get over the internet, or find at least. The link I posted above used to be a source. They don't offer it anymore. I think it's endangered or close to it. The main reason I really want cuttings, or seeds, or even better a plant is because the plant is so hard to come by.

Anybody live in that part of California?

Herbalistics has an aussie sp (Scutellaria humilis) I personally found it a nice mild smoke need to get a larger quanity to play with it some more though

I found the Aussie sp. ineffective.

I found the Aussie sp. ineffective.

Certainly not as strong as other some other species i tried but yeah as i asid thought it to be mildly active although i was using it as part of a mix so what i shuld say is it worked with xx and xx to producea light relaxation the thing is I've made so many different smoking mixes I'm struggling to remember what i mixed with it so probably not a lot of help if it comes to me i will edit the post lol

how does scutellaria baicalensis compare to humilis potency wise? Anybody grow humilis are they easy to grow and germinate from seed?

so the nana seed is hard to obtain in oz?

i grew this plant in europe and would like to grow it here aswell,

i think smoking is out, because the herb is just far too harsh to be smoked.

a tea of my homegrown stuff showed a sedating effect, sometimes combined even with a bit of energy.

beautifull flowers, i strongly recommand it.

maybe i heard once that some sources claim some hepatoxicety with this herb.

i never grew anything else than the dwarft scullcap, but i would say that all of them produce (an abundance of) seed which germinates easy.

Edited by planthelper