The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

crystals on soil

Sorry if this is a little vague

I don't have access to a camera at the moment

Recently little brown/yellow what looks to be crystals have been forming on the top of some soil, and at the drainage holes in pots, it starts out like a sprinkling of dust, then covers little areas.

It doesn't seem to be damaging the plants, though i can't really tell since alot have had mites and look a little under the weather anyway. Treatment with a mild fungicide treats the problem for a few days, then it grows back.

anyone seen this happen before and know what it is and causes it?

many thanks

this happens in my pots quite often. i don't believe it's anything to worry about, just some sort of fungus thriving on excess moisture. however, i would be curious to know exactly what it is.

Probably salinity. Theres too much salts in your water, I've heard much of australia has hard water- thats probably it. Cut down on chemical fertilizers, use filtered water if you have it, and if it starts to harm the plants scrape off what you can and drench the pots with lots of distilled water three times over two days.

Agree!!

You should see the shit on the bottom of our electric kettle......same colour

TDS of water is about 70ppm

The fertilizers i use are organic so thats no worries. And the affected pots still have pretty fresh soil.

Could it still be salinity though?