The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Big George

Buying duty free cigarettes online?

OK, my trusty ol winfields are dancing around the $85 to $95 mark week to week, while petrol hovers around the $1.20-$1.60 mark depending on whether you buy it Tuesday or not...

So we've all seen the ad's on the web, duty free cigarettes for anything from $10us to $30 a carton so I decide I will chuck $15 to $40 australian dollars at a test order and see what happens. The deal is they post you less than 200 at a time (or 1 carton) and therefore you don't have to pay any taxes.

I have been searching and stumbling through the websites that offer my vice for sale, and it seems that I cannot find one that is prepared to make a sale to me. Either they can't or won't deal in Credit cards and require an E-Check (sp) OR they only deliver to the UK or the USA. Paying via E-Check is not feasible because I don't have a checking account, or even a cheque account, and secondly, it seems to work like direct debit with e-check, ie. you give THEM your check account number and fill in a form on screen and that is your e-check. Sorry, I ain't giving my account numbers out to shady companies doing shady cigarette deals anonymously.

I'd obviously prefer to pay via paypal if I can, but second choice would be Visa card because I can get my money back if I am scammed.

Has anyone bought cigs online duty free, and what was your experience??

I just wanna buy something successfully, don't care what, as long as it isn't horse shit and isn't $90 a carton.

Edited by Big George

cheapcigarettes.com.au .... shady chinese scumbags. Mr Mikee say Herrrooo!

original order was two x 5 pack Winnie Blue rolly tobacco, and two cartons of lucky strike softies... invoice issues, payment made, thankyou email, three weeks or so later comes the note "dear sucker, your dodgy chinese stock has been intercepted by customs... you can have the cigs if you pay us 170-odd in duties" and the manifest said "for 8 x 50 g packs of virginia tobacco" ie the shady generic that was specifically unwanted.

No word on the luckies... til the "come get your gear at the PO" slip arrives, about 4 weeks later. 2 packages, identically wrapped in shitty cardboard with plastic garbo bag shreds for stuffing, inside of which sits.... cartons of POLISH manufactured dodgy arse Marlboros, with a note saying in finest Engrish "please to be sorry for not having lucky strike we do not stock, so we ship marlboro".

these marlies are crap... genuine made under license i think, just in a former soviet shithole known for some of the most ghastly smokes on earth... and these are no different. Thin crappy half weight cardboard packs, they smell like formaldehyde and carpet underlay when u open em, none of that sultana richness you get from normal marlboros. the smokes are wrapped in papers that seem more like very thin printer paper, the first third of a smoke is like smoking cardboard, the middle bit is ok, the last third your lips start to burn and you get a persistant cough for a couple weeks. Nice stuff.

And, theyre about 6mg each... sh'yeah. the contents on visual inspection looks like someone grew some half decent chopchop in the backyard, then let it roll around the floor of a chemical plant for a while, then let it rot for a week before treating it with some kinda algaecide and then making it into durries. Awful shit, they couldn't be given away in a rehab farm. Kids on a school camp would laugh, yes LAUGH in your tax dodging face :P

It'd be against the geneva conventions to let a man about to be shot have one of these things... smoking is never good at the best of times but the lungs cry out for "real smokes"... smoking dumper tobacco presses fewer "uh oh" buttons.The lamest chopchop back in the day was just lacking in character and potency, this stuff was nasty).

summary... price, 5/10... 30 bucks a carton for tryhard marlboros, make of that what you will (i suspect customs let em thru cos they knew noone could ingest or sell em :P sentenced to destruction upon receival!), to get the held up gear out of customs would have worked out cheaper really to take a couple hundred to an actual tobacconist and say "i want as many cigs or as much tobacco as i can get for this much money".

polish crap shipped from china wrapped in rubbish and full of shit. save your money. bad enough to make ya want to give up, really.

"Palenie powaznie szkodzi Tobie i osobom w Twoim otoczeniu".

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

ahaha shit thats bad to hear vert. why didn't you just import real marlboro's? are you actually allowed to ship real brands in to the country? and does anyone know the ammount of cagarettes that you can bring in without paying tax? sorry to steal your thread big george!

Is chop-chop not readily available in NSW? Buying locally would seem to cut the risk of interception, and still the same crime (probably less as you could also be done for importation)?

Most of your el-cheapo tobacco-shops (wouldn't go anywhere near calling them tobacconists), plenty of milk-bars, and even stalls in weekend markets sell it under the counter here (VIC).

I looked into on-line tobacco purchases twelve-odd months back and my bookmarks tell me that the two Australian mobs I short-listed were

http://www.tobacco.net.au/

and

http://www.cheapnetcigarettes.com.au/site/878316/product/4020

From memory these were approx 50% retail/200%chop-chop prices at the time but my memory's poor at best and I've dealt with neither company, so can't recommend either apart from "worth-a-look".

ed

why not grow your own tabaccy george?

cheers

ED, both those places you mentioned dont actually send their ciggs from sinde Australia, they send them from OS 1 carton at a time, quoting the import laws that says a person can import up to 250 ciggs at a time (as an unsocilicted gift) without paying duty.

Apparently Mina, the owner of cheapciggs used to also sell them from somewhere in Melbourne but has stopped doing it.

I was doing some cheaping recently and there are a whole host of people that have tried to buy from this guy and had the ciggs caught by customs, only ending up wiht a ltter asking for $50 duty.

When they complain to Mina they get a cut/paste of the duty/import laws telling them to quote it in a letter to customs.

The other place, they are located in france, so Im guessing its the same deal.

Ta mate.

I can make that short-list even shorter now.

So what's the go re chop-chop? It's prevalence in suburban VIC is such that I'd assumed it would be reasonably available in most capital/major cities.

ed

my parents buy chop chop, i think at $200-300/kg. from what i've been told by others there's the issue of the sellers making it wet so it weighs more, and the moisture resulting in mould growing, which ain't good for your lungs... in fact there's an interesting article on the perils of chop chop here:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/pub...le/chopchop.pdf

apparently the other trick is to ask "have the cigarettes without the stickers/stamps come in yet?"

which surreptitiously implies two things -- that they sell duty-free cigarettes, and that they already told you that they were getting some in.

my dad even sniffed out a tobacconist who sells individual cigarettes for 50c each... how the fuck he managed that i don't know.

Edited by twix elbert

my dad even sniffed out a tobacconist who sells individual cigarettes for 50c each... how the fuck he managed that i don't know.

the Shell servo down the right from my sisters place sells em at a $1 each, talk about inflation! fuckin world economy :P