The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Detention by Health Authorities

A friend has been detained by health authorities in South Australia for some active psychosis.

He thought was being detained due to medication induced insomnia.

I knew this could happen but dont know much about the details and am helping out

Are there state laws regarding involuntary detention? He is up for reveiw in 3 days.

He had been having home visits by a 3 medico team for a few weeks.

They asked him to voluntarily admit himself [to stabilise meds] but he refused, on the next visit they insisted.

We are hoping to at least change his status to voluntary after the 3 day period.

There are fairly well set out guidelines about what can lead to involuntary admission...I think the main criteria is if their mental condition is deemed by a physician (or two?) to be likely to result in harm or impairment of them or another person. A few decent sites I just came across:

A SA gov site about compulsory community treatment and medical detention.

The 1993 SA mental health act which describes the criteria for medical detention and compulsory community treatment.

I think they also contain info on detention lengths, appeal process etc.

Good luck,

Peace

Does he have a CTO?

If so he is under their control.

This is all Vic law as i know it sina so could be alot different.

It is all a slippery slope sina, once you are getting home visits and they find you mentally unstable to a certain degree you have to be assesed/admitted meds changed, whatever. Voluntary patients are made involuntary as soon as you sign yourself in. It is up to a Psychiatrist when you leave the hospital. They asses you about once a week untill you met the required state of mind to leave. This process can take a HELL of alot longer than 3 days in most situations. If the person believes that they are being assesed unfairly then the best bet is to ask to put in a complaint and be reviewed by the states mental health review board. Could slow or speed up the process.. not 100% sure ! This is all Vic experience sina so it could be alot different for SA. Ps.. just a quick note... they will give you whatever vitamins, meds such and such that you seem to need so why not dry them up!! hahahaha - from a friend.
Edited by PD.

Yeah, a friend suggests you gobble up the free lorazepam (it's on the house, so to speak) and when you get the chance for some group activity, especially the cooking of pancakes, show them you can cook, share, integrate with society et al. It's the preferred diagnostic tool for establishing sanity!

Then (if you can speak comfortably with your shrink) change to a long half-life benzodiazepine (which can be utilised outside of an "institution") such as clonazepam. The friend found it useful to juxtaposition MAD WORLD (Gary Jules) with Shout (Tears for Fears) and ask the "friendly" nurses about the ethics of forced administration of antipsychotic agents and any potential "competing interests" such as the "over utilisation of" Olanzapine, quetiapine and other FAVOURED atypicals when they were clearly contraindicated in the majority of the patients.

He calls it "a learning experience" aka striking a pre-climbed tower by lightening... or was the ENLIGHTENING... I forget now. Thanks people for the support, says my friend! :lol:

Edited by Stramonium

Sounds like your friend has had quite an adventure, I am glad to hear things are settling down a bit. I hope your friend will take some time to integrate and digest the recent experiences and take an objective-as-possible look at the whole situation in order to find the head space that is conducive to both a stable inner landscape and relationship with the outside world. Pass on my regards to your friend.

Ah, the Mental Health Services - would calling them the 'Thought Police' be overly perjorative? Probably. They are usually well-intentioned, but almost never the best people to intervene. I would have much rathered a lama or shaman give me a whip on the arse and a damn good talking to than a medic give me a needle up the arse and 24/7 monitoring...

How's your mate going now, Sina? It's unfortunate, but time is the best strategy for getting out of these situations. Psychs are inherently cautious and loath to change their minds, so one must be diligently 'normal' with zero display of frustration for some time before release is on the cards. Was this a first admission? If so, a CTO is not so likely upon release, which is always a plus. But I would echo Micro's sentiments; the healing may not begin in hospital, but a recognition of the need for healing can.

All the best.

The friend is FANTASTICALLY FINE. Thanks guys.

Pearl Jam - I'm Open lyrics

a man lies in his bed in a room with no door

he waits hoping for a presence, something, anything to enter

after spending half his life searching, he still felt as blank

as the ceiling at which he's staring

he's alive, but feels absolutely nothing

so, is he?

when he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him

by nine he had deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact

no tradebacks...

so this is what it's like to be an adult

if he only knew now what he knew then...

i'm open

i'm open

come in

come in

come in

come in

i'm open

i'm open

come in

come in

come in

come in

lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers

he decides to dream...

dream up a new self for himself

Update: He's incinerating his loony bin tags (aka wrist band...). The Man told him to do it! B)

(To the style of "The Castle" movie)

"...whatdya know 'bout CTO's?"

and where do you get a free Queen's Counsellor from these days?

"'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life...Trying to make ends meet...You're a slave to money then you die... I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down...You know the one that takes you to the places, where all the joy I earn resides" - The Alchemist modification of Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve

....How many Nurse Ratchet's are there these days?

Edited by The Alchemist