The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
poppy

papaver setigerum in nsw

Question

hello can anyone help me with some answers? i live in gundagai about an hour from canberra in nsw and iv found a fair few poppies that look a lot like papaver setigerum, and i was wondering if anyone can confirm that, and also does anyone know if the morphine content is high enough to allow for the smoking of the raw opium collected from there plants

10 answers to this question

Without a photo at least, i don't think anyone here would be confident of an accurate ID.

It is highly likely though that the poppys are Papaver setigerum.

These pods are usually too small to bleed, but 10 or more pods on one plant is not uncommon.

Possibly useful for teas where legal. I remember reading (but can't recall the reference) that this species and some hybrids have higher levels of Thebaine than other active Papaver species.

Did u look at any pictures? very simple too tell the difference...in all likely hood you are looking at sp. somniferum which of course is illegal :(

papaver-setigerum.jpg

sp. setigerum

papaver.jpg

somniferum

dunno where u got the thebaine reference (reckn you thinking of another species) but there is talk of setigerum containing morphine...

also I have seen it at as sub spp of somniferum but Ive also read that this is believed to be where the true opium poppy came from.

Im sure this has been posted before Detection of Morphine in Papaver Setigerum

Edited by Conan Troutman

Wow,

The picture posted as p.setigerum I had always figured was p.somniferum... considered this was so because it is listed in my local shires weeds list and noted as being common. Is that really p.setigerum?

yeh it is meanies.

Very small pods on it. Hardy lil buggers, saw some growing out of cracks in concrete. See alot of it around these parts, ill get some pics tomoro.

Edited by PD.

Wow,

The picture posted as p.setigerum I had always figured was p.somniferum... considered this was so because it is listed in my local shires weeds list and noted as being common. Is that really p.setigerum?

Hehe Id be guessing you live in the Van Daemons land..?

Are the seeds edible/nutritious?

I would love a Papaver to grow for FOOD from a less demanding plant than somniferum.

EDIT: Woot looks like they are at least somewhat edible!

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal...=1&SRETRY=0

The fatty acid compositions in F8 genotypes of a cross between Papaver somniferum×Papaver setigerum were studied. The oil content in both species was quite variable, ie 38·0% in P setigerum and 47·8% in P somniferum, while C18 fatty acids were quite comparable. The F8 genotypes had higher oil contents (>40%) and fatty acid concentrations than the parental species. Linoleic acid ranged between 68% (BRO 54) and 74·4% (BRO 59) and oleic acid varied between 13·6% (BRO 65) and 20·3% (BRO 54). High oleic desaturation ratio (ODR, >0·79) and C18 polyunsaturated fatty acid (>87%) with very low C18: 3 (0·37±0·01) indicate the possibility of using poppy oil for the edible oil industry. Oleic (18:1) acid was not correlated with the other fatty acids, except for significant negative correlation with linoleic (C18: 2) acid. © 1998 SCI.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=1858679

Wild food plants of popular use in Sicily

Listed in the spices section...

Any additions?

Anyone got some seed? Is this one actually legit to grow (aside from weed status).

Edited by Sina

well, i'll be buggered. That is quite some news to me that what i had always assumed was not so. Far out :rolleyes:

Sina I think the spice rack at your local supermarket may be a more efficient means if you wish to consume poppy seeds, I would imagine them to be quite similar but you would need 426000 setigerum podz til fill one of those 240g spice jars.

What interests me now is the similarities between dif Papaver species seed...Im sure a certain brand is adulterating their product with 'other' seeds...

meanies: :BANGHEAD2:

Without a photo at least, i don't think anyone here would be confident of an accurate ID.

It is highly likely though that the poppys are Papaver setigerum.

These pods are usually too small to bleed, but 10 or more pods on one plant is not uncommon.

Possibly useful for teas where legal. I remember reading (but can't recall the reference) that this species and some hybrids have higher levels of Thebaine than other active Papaver species.