The Corroboree
FNF72

Salvia D feature on Dateline SBS 15/10

DATELINE:

Ginny Stein reports, 'magic mint' is the latest legal hallucinogen being tried by thousands of young Americans. International current affairs hosted by George Negus

DATELINE:

Ginny Stein reports, 'magic mint' is the latest legal hallucinogen being tried by thousands of young Americans. International current affairs hosted by George Negus

Thanks for the heads up. :)

FYI I was recently in Canada and saw Salvia sold openly... kinda funny to see it in a shop given the situation in Australia.

oh dear. we'll be flooded with stupid emails asking for "Saliva dinorvium [sic] seeds" for the next few weeks.

Programme Brief

(complete with the obligatory youTube posting of twats giggling whilst on salvia)

man I hate tv! I watched the "preview report". What is the point of crap like this.

Here is the scene from the SBS newsroom in Sydney as I remember it:

Pete: Hey Ginny there's heaps of footage on youtube of twats giggling whilst on salvia.

Ginny: Thanks for bringing that to my attention Pete I'm sure I can turn that into a completely baseless fear piece. I'll just voiceover the top of all those public domain videos.

Pete: Good thinking Gin, you could even pretend you're in America. Lets meet after work for a drink eh?

Ginny: See you the pub!

Thanks for the heads up. :)

FYI I was recently in Canada and saw Salvia sold openly... kinda funny to see it in a shop given the situation in Australia.

Ahhhhh... I remember back in the days where HHH sold it legally before the government turned into fucknuts. Its always nice to reminise.

Well, they weren't quite as biased as I'd expected, but I wish they had've spent some more time on its traditional uses. Also, how obvious is the republican vs democrat attitude right there? And his choice of the word 'violent' rather than 'swift' or 'immediate' is so obviously chosen for its connotations. I'm glad they had the two user's opinions too, and that they chose too fairly responsible seeming people, rather than one of the marble headed fools who posts those stupid videos.

Unfortunately, most of the article was just voiced over youtube videos. They didn't mention mood set and setting and the effect that has on the user at all.

The article on the cartel war was interesting too.

Peace

Agreed MindExpansion. As I said to you before, that republican guy's main argument was the "violent" effect of Miss Sally Dee on users. Violent would be the wrong word. If you want to see violent then youtube "Drunken fight", I am sure it will yield many more clips than any on Salvia. Also I love how they admit that there is very little research done on Sally yet they are like "LETS BAN IT!".

Youtube has just given Salvia a bad name. Like most ethenogenic plants it all comes down to the user whether it is used or abused and it is always the few that give the rest a bad name. Still a very good short.

Gen

Also the first story was an excellent presentation on what drug prohibition can do to a country.

Yup, and imagine how much more cash that trade would generate for those poorer countries if the substances were legalised in the US and production rights given to workers in Mexico etc.

Peace

oh dear. we'll be flooded with stupid emails asking for "Saliva dinorvium [sic] seeds" for the next few weeks.

I just googled Salvia D to see what the active was . SAB was fourth , listed as supplier of seeds etc. If this reference were deleted (or however it's done) I'm sure you'd get less dopey e-mails.

Me ,and the rest of the stupids use google as first reference.

Was a bit of a 60 minutes job in some ways... The forboding background score, the zooms on blurry YouTube footage, the language.

Just quickly scrolling through the "Have your say" on the SBS site. This comment is thoughtful.

KARL FROM MELBOURNE SAYS:

10:49:07 PM Wednesday, 15th October, 2008

A worthwhile report on a little known plant substance in Australia. As an Australian scientist who has published work on the therapeutic effects of salvia divinorum in humans, i found the focus on research with the plant of interest. The tendency to focus on extreme or frivolous uses of the plant by some was unfortunate. On balance, as others have noted, this plant is non-addictive, non-toxic, has a history of religious/shamanistic use among Amerindian cultures. More generally, and this is a rarely canvassed issue, as humans, we still have very little knowledge about what may be called the spiritual aspect of our lives, such questions as death, the possibilities of attaining higher states of consciousness, the nature of our existence. Some believe that salvia divinorum permits them an expanded view of themselves and the world around them, many feel more connected to the rest of life in salvia-induced states. In this regard, I suspect that future humans, far more sophisticated than those currently on the earth, will embrace resources and technologies that have the potential to expand understanding of consciousness and human potentialities. They may also look less favourably on what are not legal substances such as alcohol or tobacco. It would be a shame if research into this promising plant were curtailed by unnecessary regulation.

Pete: Hey Ginny there's heaps of footage on youtube of twats giggling whilst on salvia.

Ginny: Thanks for bringing that to my attention Pete I'm sure I can turn that into a completely baseless fear piece. I'll just voiceover the top of all those public domain videos.

Pete: Good thinking Gin, you could even pretend you're in America. Lets meet after work for a drink eh?

Ginny: See you the pub!

Hahahaha.... but

The gratuitous use of youtube vids in the 'report' was completely within context - the only 'evidence' of Sally being such a threat to American society IS the youTube vids of twats giggling on salvia. They literally are the motivation for the legislation! Fuckin hell. What a joke.

Perhaps if we create enough offensive youtube posts of us after drinking tap water we can get that banned too.

Sally D is just another plant-based political prisoner.

Any chance there is a copy of this online? I missed it and I'm keen to see how it was presented (good or bad).

Perhaps if we create enough offensive youtube posts of us after drinking tap water we can get that banned too.

I think it'd be funny, immature yes, but funny, to take a plant with absolutely no psychoactivity, and make a bunch of videos of ingesting it/smoking it whatever, and see if you could get it banned.

Peace

Ace. The link is on the right hand side of the page on the link i posted above ;)

Edited by Legba

I think it'd be funny, immature yes, but funny, to take a plant with absolutely no psychoactivity, and make a bunch of videos of ingesting it/smoking it whatever, and see if you could get it banned.

Peace

A clever trick that you clearly want to use to keep the infamous Bellis perennis legal! Do you think the authorities will buy the line that those 5 yr olds staggering about on Youtube are only "pretending" to be high? How stupid do you think they are? Next you'll be claiming that Dragibus and Jenkem aren't real.

Next you'll be claiming that Dragibus and Jenkem aren't real.

Loose lips sink ships Yeti.