The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Daevorn

rivea corymbosa?

Yep! You gett'em to one inch tall...and then they die :D

Hi,

I've actually got them growing nicely on the outside of my shadehouse... they had many lovely white flowers and I thought they were setting seeds... got about 3 or 4 nice large seeds of them and then the rest stopped growing, they half-developed flowers/pods just sitting there on the vine, dormant... and that's what they've been looking like for the last 2 months...

hopefully they'll pick up again with the warm weather...

right now I don't even know if I sshould let them get very dry or rather water occasionally...

I think the latter since I want to keep the vine alive....

It's a weird one to grow. I've had it in the shade and in the sun and it hasn't done much in either place. It seems to prefer the sun but hasn't grown much at all in about a year.

Stoney

One has popped through after 3-4 weeks, now i know why they call it snake vine,its a bit different to the morning glory growth, yet i heard it is a faster grower and requires more water than the morning glory.

I knicked the ends on these before i planted them.

We'll see how it goes in a week or so.

daevorn

Hey,

Yes mescalito

i know what you mean the vine reaches an inch then dies back, one is growing maybe 2 inches at the moment, but doesnt look promising does anyone know the reason, maybe not enough water? maybe too much?..

daevorn

Hi Daevorn

I have found them to be sensitive to the cold. Mine stopped growing a few months ago when winter set in.

I would recommend the fluros for light and warmth to get them going.

Below is a summary of my growing notes.

Seeds were started in mid october and they germinated about 3weeks later (got 25% germination rate). I used seedraising mix and peat pots. When the seeds had germinated I repotted them into 100mm pots with seedraising mix then moved them under fluros (cool white). The plants were grown until they started growing rapidly 40cm long (6weeks under fluro) and then they were repotted to a 250mm pot with organic potting mix. The plants started to grow bushy and were planted out in the garden 2weeks later and 6 weeks later the plants were 2 1/2mtrs +.

The plants are now starting to show signs of new growth.

Take care

My rivea corymbosa reached about the same size as tree's, and it was covered in flowers nd naturally I expected plenty of seeds.

They never set as the vine went dormant with the cold.

My vine shows signs of "awakening" as well, so I wonder where the story will go from here.

I'm just not sure how much to water it in winter, or whether in fact I should water at all...

this plant is similar in behaviour to woodrose...

I do give it occasional light waterings...

Thanks for the help..

Anyone tried/ had any luck with cuttings?

didnt realise these little babies were stubborn.

They seem to be growing fine here and look healthy as.

must just be Goms seed. :)

Edited by Passive Daemon

Anyone tried/ had any luck with cuttings?

easy peasy mate, all cuttings i have taken have struck.

if only the freakin mother plant would flower....

easy peasy mate, all cuttings i have taken have struck.

if only the freakin mother plant would flower....

cool, i got a four yr old mother thats never done anything other then produce a mass of woody stemm and the occasional bunch of munted leaves.. i figure chopping it right back to the ground and rooting all the cuttings and then taking the plantlets up north where its a better climate might be the go...