The Corroboree
Eddie Mersh

What are the procedures to plant a cutting

I'm talking about watering or not watering within a certain time period of planting,

how far do I push the cactus stub into the soil,

when can I start using fertalizers,

should the soil be damp or a little wet before pushing the cactus in or should I let the moisture content trapped in the soil bag be it's drink for a bit,

when can I start putting them into the sun,

ect.

I've got cutting from bridgesii and it's clone A brother (penis plant)

I don't know what is accepted practice, but what I do has always worked for me. Once the cutting has completely calloused, I place the cutting on dry soil, and help it stand with the aid of skewers if need be. I put about an inch more soil in the top. I do it this way around so I don't compact the soil completely by pushing the cactus in. I then put it in a position that gets no rain and mostly scattered light for at least two weeks. Then I give it a little bit of water, and let it dry out for another week or two. Then I put it out of shelter, and in a spot that gets a little more light. Every week I move it into a slightly sunnier position. If the cutting is off a plant that I know has had full sun, I often just move it straight from shelter to part sun to full sun. From this point on I just water it and feed it along with my other trichs. I have never checked for roots and don't understand why people bother. I think perhaps it may prolong the process.

What ballzac said but i wouldn't worry about skewers, well I never do anyway... I think looking for roots upsets the process also as ballzac said...

Ballz knocked it on the head. The only safe way to know if your plant has rooted is noting how swolen the cutting is. During the rooting phase, the cutting tends to dehydrate because it has no roots (so no water uptake from the soil). Once it has little root nodes, it will start sucking up water and as the roots develop, the cutting should rehydrate and look nice and plump again after its time in the shrivelled state. Another key indictor is that it will put out new growth from the tip - quite serious growth (a few cms in a few wks, depending on the species/characteristics), not just the tiny little bit that some clones put out while they are rootless.

Once you have got a couple cuttings successfully rooted you'll have no probs reading their signs. Its all really a piece of piss so dont be scared to have a crack at it :)