The Corroboree
Plantsoma

ID-interesting one.

Question

Has anyone got an idea as to what this cactus is?

It has some nice colours happening, perhaps due to stress in the early year?

WhatIsThis.jpg

?

9 answers to this question

Probably a verigated ghost pipe-organ cactus. I cant remember the botanical name, but I hope that might give you a starting point with google or something similar.

Looks a lot like the rib structure of my ghost pipe-organ, except mine is a fuzzy blue-grey colour. The colour may be due to stress, but it looks a little more like verigation than stress IMO.

Yep that's the sort I have Moses (labelled 'ghost pipe-organ') - do you reckon Plantsoma's is verigated or just highly stressed?

imo it's variegated

i have a similar sized one , it gets a small about of red on the tips when in growth but nothing like Plantsomas

and no green just that bluey/grey

and if it is stress then i'm gonna stress the crap out of mine cos plantsomas is fantastic imo.

Sorry guys, its not varegated :(

Just found a photo of it from 2 years ago, looking nice and green.

I agree, the colours look amazing and considering the stress, the plants skin condition looks great.

pipe-organ-cactus2.jpg

Mine hasnt got any signs of that sort of colouring (not even any pinky tinges). I'm thinking it's definately some intense verigation that probably couldnt be forced. That said, I love the look of Plantsoma's too and I'll be giving mine direct sun from now on too to try and force some colours :)

Even still, they are a very nice looking species as-is with their beautiful ghosty-blueish-white colouring and almost 'fuzzy' look about the epidermis. I've only seen small potted specimens though - it'd be nice to see one at full size (I assume they'd get to several feet with age, but not sure).

Amazing colours! Great photo Plantsoma

yeah, incredible!